Innovative Marine Aquariums

Reefer 170 Skimmer Recommendation?

WRX

Wow that is one super compact skimmer. Looks really well built. How do you adjust the air? I don't see where you adjust it in the silencer.

No air adjustment , only the gate valve to control the output flow , which in turn controls the bubble height.

I wanted something simple , and didnt have lot of different adjustments (like a Skimz) . I really like the fact that you can easily "micro" adjust the outflow gate valve to dial in the skimmer ...............and thats ALL that needs adjustment.

Had this breaking in all night, and its the first skimmer with a needle wheel design I have used that didnt sporadically overflow the cup while breaking in . I have it adjusted low for break in , and the cup had about 1/4" of tea colored skimmate in it .........light tea , but at least its not full of saltwater from overflowing !

So far, I like it !

Herbie

Thanks for the update Herbie! Does it fit in the front right corner of the sump, in front of the filter sock?

I didnt try that, but I think it will. It will obviously block removal of the filter sock holder, but the skimmer can be very easily removed , and unlike some of the other skimmers with the pump in the open bottom design (SCA 301) , the K2-50 pump actually holds tight to the bottom plate, and should remove with the skimmer , instead of being left behind.

I will check and see if it fits in front of the filter sock holder area tonight for you .

Herbie

I didnt try that, but I think it will. It will obviously block removal of the filter sock holder, but the skimmer can be very easily removed , and unlike some of the other skimmers with the pump in the open bottom design (SCA 301) , the K2-50 pump actually holds tight to the bottom plate, and should remove with the skimmer , instead of being left behind.

I will check and see if it fits in front of the filter sock holder area tonight for you .

Herbie

I got rid of the stock ato, so I was thinking this skimmer in front of the sock and altering the sock holder to allow just the sock to be removed. Then use the rest of the sump as a refugium.

Thanks for the update Herbie! Does it fit in the front right corner of the sump, in front of the filter sock?

Tried it last night. Yes the K2-50 model fits in front of the filter sock area in the 170 sump.

Will post a picture tonight if you want so see how it fits.

Herbie

I'm tempted to order a k2-50, please keep everyone updated!

Here ya go man ..........this one is for you.

I had to move my mini fuge pump out of the way temporarily to try this for you . :)

The K2 Skimmer does fit in front of the filter sock part of the sump for a reefer 170 . It fits in certain orientations better than others, but it fits with no trouble. You will not be able to pull the filter sock "slider" out, but if you are going to modify the sock a little so you can pull the sock right out from the top, it will be a non-issue . Also, the skimmer would fit a little better if the front "pull lip" on the filter sock "slider" was cut off. That takes up about 3/4" and the skimmer would have more room that way, and fit on any orientation .

Pic ...............

IMG_0675_zpsljyuynsy.jpg

HTH !

Herbie

Order placed for the Icecap. Premium Aquatics was great and spent 30 min on the phone talking about the different skimmers that would work for me.

I may try to set it up in the drain pipe chamber. Now to figure out what do to for a fuge light...

• Like 1

Order placed for the Icecap. Premium Aquatics was great and spent 30 min on the phone talking about the different skimmers that would work for me.

I may try to set it up in the drain pipe chamber. Now to figure out what do to for a fuge light...

Go crazy, kessil h150 :-)

I am using the eshopps curve refugium light as well. It grows cheato like mad . I love how it fits with the 170 sump as well . Nothing to hang ........just clamp it on the glass rim of the sump. Not the cheapest option out there ............but I am really happy with it.

Saw a used one for sale just recently for $50. Not sure if it was on NR or RC ?

It was RC ............ http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2561787&highlight=curve

(I like why its for sale .........."its just too bright !" )

Nice !

Did you get the 50 or the 120 ?

Nice !

Did you get the 50 or the 120 ?

50, your pictures showed how well it fits in the sump. It should be here tomorrow, big thanks to Premium Aquatics for the great customer service!

Received the k2-50 and installed it today. Very compact, it fits great in the 170 sump. The air draw is the only noise I can hear, hopefully it lessens as it breaks in or I'll have to get creative with a silencer. Skimmer seems very well made.

That's where I bought mine. They usually have a coupon for an extra 10% off as well.

Did you use a gooseneck for your h150? It looks like the one with an aquarium clamp is for the a150, does it work on the H150 also?

Growers House isn't open yet, I'll call them later to check.

• 3 weeks later...

I made a platform out of eggcrate and moved the skimmer to the corner of the sump. Got a Beam from Nano Box and will use the rest of the sump as a fuge.

20160329_095756_zpscfhmi3ne.jpg