Top Shelf Aquatics

Slowtwitch's Not So Nano

Slowtwitch

Throw in the skimmate from your other tanks to help speed up the cycle.

Yep. Doing that. Used 20 gallons of old tank water from my last two water changes too.

Holy big tank :) looks great following

Welcome and I hope you enjoy the ride.

Building a couple crapper trappers today. Thanks for the idea.

This is going to be cool! I like the location and can't wait to see it progress. Already loving it with just the rock and water :)

Thanks Stella. I think it would look even cooler with one of your big paintings hanging over it...just sayin'
  • Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dang, I am late to this party ! Looking great- lets hear some stocking plans on this baby! Pretty cool you put it at your office- your on the "cusp" of the build ?sorry had to

Dang, I am late to this party ! Looking great- lets hear some stocking plans on this baby! Pretty cool you put it at your office- your on the "cusp" of the build ?sorry had to

Nah, not late. Just got wet yesterday. Welcome aboard.

Stocking plan is heavy on fish, mostly predators. Some corals mostly softies and lps.

Had to go in the office. No way it would ever fit in my old farm house.

Nah, not late. Just got wet yesterday. Welcome aboard.

Stocking plan is heavy on fish, mostly predators. Some corals mostly softies and lps.

Had to go in the office. No way it would ever fit in my old farm house.

Sounds like a fun tank - I love the Live rock with fish tanks. Predators ? Eel?

Sounds like a fun tank - I love the Live rock with fish tanks. Predators ? Eel?

For sure. Lions, triggers, large wrasses, maybe a ray.

Well, I know we all love Felicia's predator tank. This will be amazing.

I'm using her tank as a reference and inspiration to help stock this one

For sure. Lions, triggers, large wrasses, maybe a ray.

I'm using her tank as a reference and inspiration to help stock this one

Nice, gonna be sick? triggers are such amazing fish
jedimasterben

If you want a trigger, look at the sargassum trigger. The same people that sell the green banded gobies on eBay for stupid little money also sell the sargassum triggers for $35 each. Gorgeous fish.

If you want a trigger, look at the sargassum trigger. The same people that sell the green banded gobies on eBay for stupid little money also sell the sargassum triggers for $35 each. Gorgeous fish.

Thanks. I'll take a look.

A couple of new shots I took yesterday after the water had cleared. omgomgomg

3oIWIwd.jpg

mbwXgdf.jpg

hrk63h4.jpg

FuVINxa.jpg

Sheetrock is going on and then paint and trim. Hope this thing cycles fast. fingerscrossed

Looks clear and so clean. I hope all your construction goes off without a hitch. I like your rock formations; adds interest but not overdone.

Looks clear and so clean. I hope all your construction goes off without a hitch. I like your rock formations; adds interest but not overdone.

There should be a few nice spots for some rock flowers.

There should be a few nice spots for some rock flowers.

Yeah, for sure!!!. Your clients will ask lots of questions. What are those? You'll need a front-back laminated page w/ picture and description of your corals, inverts and predators.

Yeah, for sure!!!. Your clients will ask lots of questions. What are those? You'll need a front-back laminated page w/ picture and description of your corals, inverts and predators.

Thats a great idea. I was thinking of trying to label things somehow since everyone who has been seeing the changes has been asking about what is going in there. So many people were attached to the koi that had been in the tank for about 15 years. A few were visibly upset that they had to find a new home.

For a long time I was unsure what kind of pumps to use for water circulation. I have rw4's and 8's on my other tanks and like those so Jebao was considered. I have used Koralia on another tank and liked it so that was considered. So many people talk so highly of the MP series that i considered those as well. I finally decided to go with gyres and I have to say that so far I am happy with the decision. I purchased a new 150 and was able to procure a used 130 figuring a single pump would not be enough in an 8ft tank and I didn't want a pumps positioned on the side of the tank (which are both open for viewing) pushing water down the long axis. I positioned the two pumps on the back wall on opposite sides of the central overflow and I have to say that I like the effect they give so far. I have the 130 set at 100% alternating gyres and the 150 at about 70% alternating. I will likely turn the 150 down just a bit more as it is moving sand away from the front glass in the forward rotation. Both pumps definitely push a lot of water.

Thanks Jack! How's it hangin tonite?

Not too bad. Still have to hop back on the ol' computer for a couple hours later tonight. Finishing homework with the ladies, running a bubble bath for the wee one and off to make dinner.

My tank has been super cloudy....like a white cloud. Since day one, now worse every week. First thought bacterial bloom.....but I don't think so. Just did another water change....and the bucket is all chalky on the inside. I think my salt has not been mixing well. Only 5 gallons at a time. Salt added to water, mixed with an old pump.....should be crystal clear.

Red Sea Coral whatever is the brand.

Oh, and whiskey and NR once the kids and wifey are snoozing.

How's the family?

Family is good. Moody teenagers aside.

Fighting off a cold with hot toddies tonite. Thank God for whiskey honey and lemon. Been working too many hours around sick people.

Sorry to hear about the tank woes. Hope it straightens itself out soon. Livestock doing ok?

Not too bad. Still have to hop back on the ol' computer for a couple hours later tonight. Finishing homework with the ladies, running a bubble bath for the wee one and off to make dinner.

My tank has been super cloudy....like a white cloud. Since day one, now worse every week. First thought bacterial bloom.....but I don't think so. Just did another water change....and the bucket is all chalky on the inside. I think my salt has not been mixing well. Only 5 gallons at a time. Salt added to water, mixed with an old pump.....should be crystal clear.

Oh, and whiskey and NR once the kids and wifey are snoozing.

How's the family?

Hope it's Maker's Mark. And yeah, I've done the honey lemon whiskey, sooooo good. Also makes an excellent cup of coffee! My husband was from Kentucky.

jedimasterben

May be precipitating out - Red Sea Coral Pro REALLY supersaturates calcium and alk. I would personally stick with the normal Red Sea (blue bucket) instead of the pro, as it has closer to NSW levels and doesn't precipitate out. I use it because it mixes so damned quick. I don't plan water changes or any of that shit, so when I need water, I pretty much need it right then, and IO takes much, much longer for the ammonia to dissipate.

Hope it's Maker's Mark. And yeah, I've done the honey lemon whiskey, sooooo good. Also makes an excellent cup of coffee! My husband was from Kentucky.

Woodford reserve. Double oaked. Yumm.

I toured the makers mark distillery a few years ago. Pretty cool place. Got to dip my hands in the fermentation vats.

May be precipitating out - Red Sea Coral Pro REALLY supersaturates calcium and alk. I would personally stick with the normal Red Sea (blue bucket) instead of the pro, as it has closer to NSW levels and doesn't precipitate out. I use it because it mixes so damned quick. I don't plan water changes or any of that shit, so when I need water, I pretty much need it right then, and IO takes much, much longer for the ammonia to dissipate.

Yeah, what he said.

I use Reef crystals though and try to always have at least 5 gallons ready mixed...

Dude,the rock work is on point like you read about!!

Thanks. I played with that dumb pile of rocks for a long time before I got structures I liked. Mortared them together and put them in tubs to cook whole cause I knew I'd never be able to replicate them in the tank...lol

Archived