SaltCritters.com

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

Just a little advice to save a lot of money on filter socks. You can buy Morning Glory polyester fiber for $20 for 5lbs. It's a huge box and lasts me more than 6 months just make sure it doesn't have the flame retardant chemicals as some other varieties may have it. Just grab a ball big enough to plug the hole for the sock and replace it every 3-5 days for best results.

This is what I do!
  • Like 3

Sweet man I'm a freshman in college. You're doing much better at this than I am at this point lol. Good luck with your new build! I bet it's going to be great. Maybe some TOTM material later on??!

College.... don't remind me! I can only hope it'll get to that point

Just a little advice to save a lot of money on filter socks. You can buy Morning Glory polyester fiber for $20 for 5lbs. It's a huge box and lasts me more than 6 months just make sure it doesn't have the flame retardant chemicals as some other varieties may have it. Just grab a ball big enough to plug the hole for the sock and replace it every 3-5 days for best results.

I do have 10 or so filter socks, but that sounds like a good plan if I don't want to wash them

Or get a crapper trapper :)

:lol: My brain sometimes works when the blond hair doesn't get in the way ;)

I don't think a crapper trapper would work in this tank; the sump is pretty much pre-built.

This is what I do!

Neat.

Tomorrow I have some reef cleaners rock arriving- I will add some, movie over the clownfish and anemone (on their live rock), backfill the 45 with salt water as necessary, and keep observing!

• Like 2

Wow 11 pages of .............hurry up and get this thing filled with corals....... :P

12! Tomorrow I am getting reef cleaners, will transfer anemone and the two clownfish (possible the yellow wrasse too) then. Wait a week and then the rest!

Always liked the red sea tanks, nice build and keep it slow make sure that sand bed has established! You'll go through some blooms!

Thanks! Yep, trying to keep it slow and steady. Ive added a couple cups of the established sand from my tank and am feeding heavily to build up some biological filtration :)

• Like 4

Great! I waited a month before adding sand then added a few a week and it's a lot better then BB! What lighting are you going to use? You mentioned 36" ati?

48'' ATI sunpower 6 X 54 fixture. Might have a bit of light bleed but its going to be badass! Never had ATI before. Did a trade and its shipping today! Hyped for that; been wanting one forever.

• Like 4

You'll love it ! Did you go with the dimmable? Imo the non dimmable is quite better and has less problems! Bulbs last a bit longer from what I hear, something about dimming the bulbs... You'll miss the shimmer though

You'll love it ! Did you go with the dimmable? Imo the non dimmable is quite better and has less problems! Bulbs last a bit longer from what I hear, something about dimming the bulbs... You'll miss the shimmer though

Non dimmable. Well, dimmable if you raise it or lower it a few inches!

Still have the XR30 if I need some more shimmer :)

College.... don't remind me! I can only hope it'll get to that point

I do have 10 or so filter socks, but that sounds like a good plan if I don't want to wash them

I don't think a crapper trapper would work in this tank; the sump is pretty much pre-built.

Neat.

Tomorrow I have some reef cleaners rock arriving- I will add some, movie over the clownfish and anemone (on their live rock), backfill the 45 with salt water as necessary, and keep observing!

I think Lawn runs his crapper trapper in his tank, but not 100% sure. It is run in place of socks.

This is what I do!

I think Lawn runs his crapper trapper in his tank, but not 100% sure. It is run in place of socks.

Still run a crapper trapper in the Reefer?

Wow 11 pages of .............hurry up and get this thing filled with corals....... :P

Corals!Scrubbed them before adding them so they're a bit retracted in the picture :)

46D1609D-4CE7-4F82-9B3F-CB6CD2FBFC16_zps

616670DC-06CA-4FBF-9B77-EB11A15913DA_zps

• Like 4

y u putting corals in without any rocks? do you have some kind of biological filtration in the sump?

More rocks come tomorrow in the mail :)

Some biological filtration; filthy floss, sand from other tank, etc. Skimmer and socks.

Corals!Scrubbed them before adding them so they're a bit retracted in the picture :)

46D1609D-4CE7-4F82-9B3F-CB6CD2FBFC16_zps

616670DC-06CA-4FBF-9B77-EB11A15913DA_zps

Its progress ;) But yes I would get some rock in there also to aid in the filtration.

More rocks come tomorrow in the mail :)

Yeah but that stuff is dry so no much help at the moment. But will turn all fuzzy soon enough.

Its progress ;) But yes I would get some rock in there also to aid in the filtration.

Yeah but that stuff is dry so no much help at the moment. But will turn all fuzzy soon enough.

On my other thread (RL-45) I was reading how I went about doing the transfer and it was pretty easy; I did the whole thing in like 5 days with new rock and all new sand. Clams, montipora, and LPS all did fine so I am not too worried. I do have more fish, but this is a very large volume of water with an effective skimmer.

• Like 1

Nope need to figure out how to make that work. Still in production :)

all done?

Done.

Ok so where are the cloudy pics?

Not cloudy, I cleaned sand in the reefer a couple times already.

Pics or it didn't happen

:P

Yeah, it's almost an hr later without any Kodak moments. Geez!

Haha sorry... I spent like 3 hours and am too tired for the DSLR. Here is a blue picture

6A6A358F-8ADB-446D-80F7-642B116230D8_zps

And here was earlier, before I moved the other island

9FAB6ED7-F72C-44ED-8305-684C85359459_zps

• Like 8

Good job Hairball! Looks like a great start.

How much rock is showing up tomorrow?

50lbs reefcleaners- no cycle no leaching. I HATE aquascaping and am upset just thinking about it :(

• Like 2
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350