SaltCritters.com

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

11 minutes ago, markalot said:

I want to continue my last post ....

Another thing is the micro life in the tank, sponges especially.  SPS need detritus in the water column to stay healthy. If the massive overdose killed a lot of this life then basically this is a new tank, and will be very hard on SPS.  The 300 will have the same problem.  

All your lighting should be blue and reduced at the moment.  Enough PAR for SPS to survive and that's it.  Biggles over on Reef Central discovered how well blue light only helps corals heal up.  Reduced stress and reduced feeding needs.   I would unplug a few bulbs in your fixture and only run blue plus, if possible, for a while.

The 300 is not “fresh”, it has been running for around two months now and has a very healthy amount of life. Acros that are in there look great. I think if anything here can survive, it will survive there. 

Roger on less lighting, already swapped the coral plus for blue plus. Raised fixture too, a bit. 

Edit: 

thanks @markalot and everyone else—appreciate the tips, and hopefully something can pull through. Even if it is just the goddamn BTAs and clowns.

• Like 3

Sorry to read/hear about this, Harry. I actually enjoyed watching pics of your tank - I mostly lurked on your thread, but I loved the SPS color-combos and giant colonies you had. Hope you can salvage something out of this mess somehow.  :grouphug:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh Harry I am so sorry :tears:

I would put frags in the 300g. That way you at least have the same coral on both tanks and there's a chance that one or the other will survive. I would worry that moving all the colonies into the 300g at once might upset the balance in that tank, especially since it's still new. 

I wish there was more we could do! :grouphug:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

I have Hanna reading 8.0, using two different new reagents. I should get triton results in a couple of days, which will tell me if there is a contaminant. 

I'm also interested to see if the Hanna isn't off.  I mean it's probably right, but I was watching Apollo 13 the other day (when they died in the simulator because they had a false indicator light), a faulty Checker could potentially force things in the wrong direction.  IDK :unsure:

My offer still stands on sending you frags of corals that you shipped me, once they get a little bigger and your tank stabilizes.  I'm guessing that others might be willing to do the same.  I'd hate to see you take it down completely.

Hang in there and trust your instincts.  Ask yourself what advice would you offer someone else who is going through the same thing that you are describing.  I know that sounds obvious, but sometimes I don't follow my own advice (even to my own detriment).

I'd love to give you advice about these corals, but you know them so much better than I do.  Plus you have a couple of other good members offering help.  Sorry buddy.  IDK, maybe your SPS sale can act as a lifeline to save some of the colonies that you loved.

Try not to let it get to you.  I know, easier said...

• Like 5
5 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

I think tomorrow I’ll abandon ship

Noooooooo! This sucks.. cant really offer any advise but just wanted to say sorry for your losses.. 🙁

• Like 4

If you could frag what you can and bank it with someone you know/trust, it would give you time to take a breather, come down and reset. Then, get your corals back, given that they survive. 

I have to give a lot of credit to guys that offered to help getting your corals back if you decide to revive this tank. 

Saying “I am sorry” won’t help but I hope you keep your head up and make the most of it and hopefully get motivated again. I am sure you can. 

• Like 4

Hang in there Harry.

Reminder how bad my tank was .. turn around was just a few weeks away.

Remember when I almost lost the slimer?

eDmdey0.jpg&key=ca3679d42a32b8b8ed055f0d

I made a ton of frags, some which are full colonies now.  I bought new live rock and placed in sump, I did everything to get new critters back into the tank.   

Also look at it as an opportunity.  More space, re-arrange, etc.  

• Like 7
  • Wow 1

Also this page, which is just one before what I posted.  The infamous suggestion by JedimasterBen that I use Lanthanum chloride for PO4 control.    Also look at red cap, it was dying fast.

I'd like to know whose tank that it in the thread picture.  Not mine.  :D 

• Like 3

Thanks peeps. I’m going to move some stuff to the 300, and continue to do 2x 25% water changes weekly. I’m done with tank being my main focus and concern, as it has been for the past few weeks. Just let it ride. 

I know there is still hope, because look at the green millipora- no growth tips and pretty brown, but doing fine. Corals are weird. 

TgG0FW8.jpg

Same story on the encrusted rack- zero color, but PE.

hPDYh8y.jpg

So things will come back, or they won’t, but no use beating myself up for it, or stressing about it. What’s done is done. The big tank will without a doubt get an apex trident when that comes out. 

@markalot any rexcomendations for live rock? Definitly did not have diversity here,

• Like 9

I bought what the local store had, pests and all.  @metrokat has made some online purchases of live rock, maybe she can recommend?   The fact some acros are doing ok should give you hope.  The incident is likely over, acros just take a while to respond.   

• Like 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
12 hours ago, markalot said:

I want to continue my last post ....

Another thing is the micro life in the tank, sponges especially.  SPS need detritus in the water column to stay healthy. If the massive overdose killed a lot of this life then basically this is a new tank, and will be very hard on SPS.  The 300 will have the same problem.  

All your lighting should be blue and reduced at the moment.  Enough PAR for SPS to survive and that's it.  Biggles over on Reef Central discovered how well blue light only helps corals heal up.  Reduced stress and reduced feeding needs.   I would unplug a few bulbs in your fixture and only run blue plus, if possible, for a while.

I didn't know that just running the blues could actually help heal corals. That's a good thing to know. 

Somebody called? Harry what do those corals look like under actinics - all my corals look brown under daylight. I can't seem to find disaster pictures with actinics on?

And an FTS?

A bacterial infection could be in the tank now - I mean bacteria is always there but when something is sick they show signs of infection. The alk swing could have weakened the corals and a chain reaction sets in. 

I've bought only gulf live rock which is uncured form the ocean but your LFS will have live rock. They could also hold some frags for you if you have a good relationship with them.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, metrokat said:

Somebody called? Harry what do those corals look like under actinics - all my corals look brown under daylight. I can't seem to find disaster pictures with actinics on?

And an FTS?

A bacterial infection could be in the tank now - I mean bacteria is always there but when something is sick they show signs of infection. The alk swing could have weakened the corals and a chain reaction sets in. 

I've bought only gulf live rock which is uncured form the ocean but your LFS will have live rock. They could also hold some frags for you if you have a good relationship with them.

I rarely take photos with my lighting on, because my phone can’t handle the blue- 5 blue plus, actinic, 2 coral plus. Even before the Alk spike, I don’t know the last time I’ve posted photos with lighting on. I’ll try to get one soon though, need to charge up the canon.

LFS rock is dry rock that they put in their sump to grow Aptasia; not real rock. 

Saw montipora PE for the first time since the Alk spike this afternoon, that’s a big step. They began to go before the acros did. I did another 25% water change, & fed a bunch. Didn’t move things to the other tank. 

I want my triton results. Between the half empty DI canisters, rusty razor, and alk spike, there are too many factors up in the “air”. Extrapolation. 

SOjmE6U.jpg

• Like 10
41 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I rarely take photos with my lighting on, because my phone can’t handle the blue- 5 blue plus, actinic, 2 coral plus. Even before the Alk spike, I don’t know the last time I’ve posted photos with lighting on. I’ll try to get one soon though, need to charge up the canon.

LFS rock is dry rock that they put in their sump to grow Aptasia; not real rock. 

Saw montipora PE for the first time since the Alk spike this afternoon, that’s a big step. They began to go before the acros did. I did another 25% water change, & fed a bunch. Didn’t move things to the other tank. 

I want my triton results. Between the half empty DI canisters, rusty razor, and alk spike, there are too many factors up in the “air”. Extrapolation. 

SOjmE6U.jpg

Looks promising young harold. 

• Like 3

KP Aquatics has great live rock, and  you are close enough that you can drive down there and transport it wet so as to have very minimal die-off. The Monti's that you gave me are doing fine and id be happy to frag and give them back if and when you want/need them. Unfortunately I did not do so well with the acros, sorry. Hang in there, Imagine the satisfaction when everything rebounds and you have the tank that everyone envys once again!

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

KP Aquatics has great live rock, and  you are close enough that you can drive down there and transport it wet so as to have very minimal die-off. 

I like that idea, grab some decent new live rocks if things continue to improve. That should help speed up the process for some microorganisms circle of life. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, seabass said:

Just curious; any progress?

Yes. Thinks are looking better- I am aggressively “forcing” the tank to get back on track via 25% water changes every other day, which include mixing up the sand bed. I am also feeding a lot, 2-3x daily, to make sure nutrients stay up. Acros have polyp extension again, which is great. Still zero color but that is to be expected. 

My waterchange setup is great; RODI automatically stops filling the 20g bucket, I add 6lbs of salt, and then water change takes like 10 minutes. 

• Like 11
3 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Yes. Thinks are looking better- I am aggressively “forcing” the tank to get back on track via 25% water changes every other day, which include mixing up the sand bed. I am also feeding a lot, 2-3x daily, to make sure nutrients stay up. Acros have polyp extension again, which is great. Still zero color but that is to be expected. 

I have been quietly lurking Harry hoping for some good news.  This morning's post is very encouraging.  Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

• Like 4
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350