Cultivated Reef

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

1 minute ago, specore said:

Any metal object is almost certain to have toxic metals/compounds which will leach into the water.  Zinc, lead, iron, oils  etc.  GFO we buy is coming from a controlled source and shouldn't be leaching toxic compounds.  

Make sense

Sorry Harry I missed what happened?

As to your question, RTN is a funny thing.  While it may be a disease caused by stress I'm not sure you can stop it other than cut and hope it heals.   I would look for something else wrong, or just chalk it up to an Alk swing, stay stable, and move along.  With my history of disasters the only thing that seems to work is fix it and time.   I'm still on the slow upswing from the low calcium incident and I only have 1/4 of my pretty Lokani left, but it's finally healed and growing again.   Just takes time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
On 9/12/2018 at 2:39 PM, seabass said:

Good luck, I hope most of it pulls through.  Nothing to feel embarrassed about.  I've certainly done some stupid things in the past, like leaving the water run while filling up containers.  It's quite the shock the moment you realize what you've done.  Afterwards, I don't know how many times I've run downstairs in the middle of the night just to check to make sure I didn't forget something.

God I've done this more time than I'd like to admit lol. I only have a 5 gallon bucket so it happens quick

• Sad 1

I think things are turning around. What isn’t RTNing is looking better. Lost the red planet colony, my favorite deepwater, a gorgeous orange/green milli colony, and a few “whatever” duplicate frags. The huge red monti colony is hanging on-barely. 

I have a triton test on the way, to see if there may be heavy metal contamination due to that rusted razor. If it shows positive I’ll run poly filter and be more aggressive with WC.  

Put a few packets of chemipure blue  nano (samples from conventions) in the filter cups. Super against how I normally run this tank, but the description advertises that it absorbs heavy metals, a concern of mine. I’m feeding a lot, nutrients shouldnt drop that much from a few small packets. 

Green Milli (looking brown but okay

sPhLWqK.jpg

Red milli is the brownest ive ever seen it. Flesh looks thin, but it has reasonable PE.

Fa7T4sj.jpg

Efflo is is the same story, needs to get the yellow back but the polyps look good. 

QJxwya0.jpg

BTAs didn’t seem to care 🙄. I think the rear-most one split, and now there are 4. 

GBMtgrI.jpg

A bit of good news- I spotted a nudibranch on the last rock that has visible aptasia, my mag rock covered in zoas! Maybe I won’t have to bleach them after all 😳. *Potato camera*

ag1KMP6.jpg

• Like 6
On 9/14/2018 at 7:55 PM, markalot said:

Sorry Harry I missed what happened?

As to your question, RTN is a funny thing.  While it may be a disease caused by stress I'm not sure you can stop it other than cut and hope it heals.   I would look for something else wrong, or just chalk it up to an Alk swing, stay stable, and move along.  With my history of disasters the only thing that seems to work is fix it and time.   I'm still on the slow upswing from the low calcium incident and I only have 1/4 of my pretty Lokani left, but it's finally healed and growing again.   Just takes time.

I was stupid with the doser, turned it “on” to clear the lines when putting in new solution and got distracted. All my fault. Spiked Alk to  11.5. I took it back down the next day, but the damage was done. I also found a super rusty razor- like 1/2 inch thick swollen with rust- in the tank. So primary issue is the Alk spike, a possible second issue heavy metal contamination. 

As of the incident, I am doing daily Alk tests with the Hanna checker and I intend to continue that forever... I’m taking a hint from your success.  Alk is back to 8, where it was before, but in time I will probably go lower to 6.5-7. 

On 9/14/2018 at 8:19 PM, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Just read through that sucks man ☹️ Hope everything bounces back soon.

On 9/14/2018 at 8:05 PM, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

God I've done this more time than I'd like to admit lol. I only have a 5 gallon bucket so it happens quick

9 hours ago, Aurortpa said:

Oh no! 🤭. Glad some are hanging in there Harry!  Hope recovery is swift!

9 hours ago, Daniel91 said:

Hoping for a quick recovery and turn around, Harry.

Thanks 🤞

• Like 2

Poly filter is great! But in my tank, I had elevated levels of aluminum and lithium, and the poly filter didn't help. But I tried Panta Lith and it took care of it with one dose.

It's kind of like using a broad spectrum antibiotic - overkill unless you just can't get what you need any other way.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Poly filter is great! But in my tank, I had elevated levels of aluminum and lithium, and the poly filter didn't help. But I tried Panta Lith and it took care of it with one dose.

It's kind of like using a broad spectrum antibiotic - overkill unless you just can't get what you need any other way.

Ive done a couple WC, but at some point I have to preserve stability over continuing dilution, no? 

• Like 1
Just now, HarryPotter said:

Ive done a couple WC, but at some point I have to preserve stability over continuing dilution, no? 

Panta Lith doesn't need a water change, Just pour it in 🙂

Ok I dont know shit about reefing but your corals were great and growing like crazy with the razor blade in there right? And that thing was in there for awhile from the looks of it. You spiked the crap out of alk and things went nuts. Kudos from trying to clean up the razor but you really dont think this all the alk spike doing this??

51 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Added poly filter! Let’s see if there are any contaminants 🙂 . Will also do the triton, but this should also absorb any. 

How does poly filter help? When I think poly filter, I just think floss. Or am I missing the terminology here? Carbon pad? 

16 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Is that a bad spell check or an actual product? Google time 🤔

11 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

How does poly filter help? When I think poly filter, I just think floss. Or am I missing the terminology here? Carbon pad? 

Panta Lith is made by a German company called Panta Rhei. It's a good product but has basically no marketing in the US. Unique Corals sells it. A number of people posted good results in using it to get rid of tin and aluminum, which Poly Filter doesn't do. It also does all the stuff Poly Filter does, too. It's a lot more expensive than Poly Filter for a large tank. Probably about the same cost per treatment for smaller tanks.

https://uniquecorals.com/collections/panta-rhei/products/panta-rhei-panta-lith-250-ml?variant=53015917075

Poly Filter is an old, tried and true, treated filter pad. Gets rid of ammonia, metals, and phosphates.

https://www.amazon.com/Poly-Bio-Marine-Poly-Filter-Aquarium-3-pack/dp/B00HYN8602/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537319052&sr=8-3&keywords=poly+filter

I've used both and keep them both on hand. But I don't use either unless I have to so that other desirable elements aren't stripped out too often.

• Like 5
41 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Poly Filter- not poly filter. Brand name.

Absorbs specific things, including metals, and changes colors to show what it absorbs. Pretty sick stuff, absolutely works. Ive used it to clean up tanks that I used copper in. 

https://www.marinedepot.com/Poly_Filter_Filter_Pad_Mechanical_Filter_Media-Poly_Bio_Marine-PB1111-FIFMMEPM-vi.html

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Ok I dont know shit about reefing but your corals were great and growing like crazy with the razor blade in there right? And that thing was in there for awhile from the looks of it. You spiked the crap out of alk and things went nuts. Kudos from trying to clean up the razor but you really dont think this all the alk spike doing this??

I do think the Alk spike did all of this.

But what else can I do? I fixed alk, it’s at 8. But a very rusty razor is concerning to me. There is a plethora of information regarding tanks crashing, triton tests showing heavy metals, and reefers finding rusty powerheads or screws. 

30 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

PS: Harry, for pete's sake, don't misspell Panta Lith when you google it :lol:

WHAT IS THE REFERENCE?!?! I don’t know 😞 

4 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

But what else can I do? I fixed alk, it’s at 8. But a very rusty razor is concerning to me. There is a plethora of information regarding tanks crashing, triton tests showing heavy metals, and reefers finding rusty powerheads or screws. 

Sere my post above. Also, when you search for Panta Lith there's a thread in R2R that talks about it.

But like almost everything in this hobby there's no scientific study. I just know I had high Aluminum per Triton before and after Poly Filter, and it went to zero per Triton after Panta Lith. It's one of the few quack medicine reef products I've bought more than once 🙂

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Not sure what to do but imo your tank was the model for stability so stick with that it was working. I messed up once with my tank and used water bought from my lfs they used tropic Marin. For some reason the alk was low at 6.0 and my tank ran 8.5. I did I 40 percent water change with the low alk water and my corals freaked out . Markalot was the one who helped me figure out the alk issue . First thing he said was dont raise it to fast .. but I did anyways bc what does that guy know 😉. Long story short it crashed my tank. I guess just keep your chin up and see what happens you know your a great reefer and things will bounce back .. but it won't be over night dont keep chasing shit imo it will just take some time.. interested to see the Triton result though. Keep us updated so we can learn something from this too!! Happy reefing buddy!!!

• Like 3

Polyfilter is awesome for cycling tanks, unexpected-significant issues, or as a short term solution.  It strips many contaminants out of the water, but also in the long term all the nutrients that can potentially become nitrates and phosphates--like all of it.  Basically it can make your water too sterile.  I use it only once a month for a day or so just to polish up my water.  

9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Panta Lith is made by a German company called Panta Rhei. It's a good product but has basically no marketing in the US. Unique Corals sells it. A number of people posted good results in using it to get rid of tin and aluminum, which Poly Filter doesn't do. It also does all the stuff Poly Filter does, too. It's a lot more expensive than Poly Filter for a large tank. Probably about the same cost per treatment for smaller tanks.

https://uniquecorals.com/collections/panta-rhei/products/panta-rhei-panta-lith-250-ml?variant=53015917075

Poly Filter is an old, tried and true, treated filter pad. Gets rid of ammonia, metals, and phosphates.

https://www.amazon.com/Poly-Bio-Marine-Poly-Filter-Aquarium-3-pack/dp/B00HYN8602/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537319052&sr=8-3&keywords=poly+filter

I've used both and keep them both on hand. But I don't use either unless I have to so that other desirable elements aren't stripped out too often.

Good info. I wasn’t even aware of this product. 👍

• Like 2
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350