Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

On 8/27/2018 at 11:56 AM, Christopher Marks said:

Have you seen videos of people using a high powered blue laser to fry aptasia anemones right through the glass? You just point the beam, focus, and cook them. Blows my damn mind, but seems pretty convenient. It also seems like something you'd be into trying out!

I have one of those lasers.  So awesome to play with, but I never had any success with the aiptasia.  At best, they shrank down for a few days and would open back up. 

I have light envy. None of my lights cause perturbations in the power grid. 

Sorry about the tang, though. I had a new coral beauty that didn't look quite right when I got it, so I set up a quarantine tank. Sure enough it had ich and didn't make it past the first week. It's the first time I quarantined a fish, I'm ashamed to admit, but it was a lucky time to start. 

We need to do a frag swap some time. I have the same problem getting rid of frags, I'll sell them cheap but people don't want to pay for shipping. 

The tanks look fantastic, by the way! 

I was thinking about your CO2 issue.  I like the Spectrapure solution, but wondered if some of the water entering the pipe would just flow out the overflow without being degassed.

So maybe an elbow (instead of an end cap) installed at the bottom, to connect a second pipe (which would contain the overflow), would force the water down past the bubbles (improving the aeration).  It would take up a little more space, but might be worth it in saved DI resin.

seabassdegasser.jpg

I suppose you could even put a second air line and stone in the second tube.

Edit: The overflow tube could either be attached with a reducing tee, or a Uniseal bulkhead.

6 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

@Weikel 

Why MP40QD is 😍😍

I have two on my tank. One on the right and one of the left back wall. Superior flow! I was a skeptic but now I am a believer 😂  

56 minutes ago, Travis said:

I have two on my tank. One on the right and one of the left back wall. Superior flow! I was a skeptic but now I am a believer 😂  

I wouldn’t pay retail for Vortechs when you can get an internal pump with wave modes for 1/3 the price, but used at 30-40% off makes them worth it IMO. Jecod-150s have much more flow than a MP40QD at like $110. Love them, and enjoy the independent-aiming feature of each side. Only bummer is that they don’t have the master/slave mode like other jebao products.  For the 300 gallon, I am using two (maybe will get a third) of those CP-150s. 

But it if a MP60wQD pops up, I’m interested 😂

IDK Harry.  I've used Tunzes, Gyres, and Jebaos.  The vortechs seem to push the water less directional and seems to cause chaos in the entire water column without the hot spots the others created.  JME 🙂. My corals are swaying randomly (non pulse) and my sand isn't moving, can't beat that lol. It's just an entirely different type of flow that I only found with the vortechs.

And yeh, if you can get them 2nd hand, nothing wrong with that for sure. More money for corals 🤣

• Like 1
2 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

@Weikel 

Why MP40QD is 😍😍

Damn that's a lot of flow!!! What percentage was that at?? I think in the rsr250 which is a foot shorter the mp40 will be enough ha. Didn't you upgrade/split the stock return nossel too? I wanted to so that with mine but have been too lazy to try and  google what parts and sizes I need lol

• Like 1
A Little Blue

Go big or go home. Go with as much flow as possible (sweet spot- when it doesn't rip flesh off the corals). Being very conservative, I would guesstimate my total flow rate at 2200gph in 30g tank. 

• Like 1

300 chugging along. Mixed up the sand bed and it seems to be clean, no more new-sand powder. Refugium has chaeto. One fixture is down for a bit o troubleshooting on a LED channel, but Dave’s customer support is on point ??

Frogspawn is happy, but i am struggling to find nice LPS now that Indonesia is shut down. Used to see large gold torch colonies for $90 at PerfectCorals, now small/medium ones are $400 online. Crazy. 

IIZ4Zsh.jpg

This is how basic maintenance is done, just raise the lights and you’re good. If I need to get to the sand bed with my hands,  the canopy needs to come off. 

80vkLIO.jpg

Started a thread for the big tank,

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/395332-300ml-micro-reef-build-nsfw/

• Like 3

Rpa9ZKy.jpg

Looks like a lot this morning! 

But it’s one 1” clam 

1 tiny elegance coral 

and one small chalice to hit the $99 free shipping 

They came from three different facilities- ouch, that shipping must have hurt! 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Rpa9ZKy.jpg

Looks like a lot this morning! 

But it’s one 1” clam 

1 tiny elegance coral 

and one small chalice to hit the $99 free shipping 

They came from three different facilities- ouch, that shipping must have hurt! 

That free shipping is nice and soooo easy to hit.   

9 minutes ago, specore said:

That free shipping is nice and soooo easy to hit.   

Plus their 14 day guarantee, hard to beat for some items. 

The $27 maxima is REALLY small! It’s dwarfed by the hammock haha. 

DXL66JU.jpg

The elegance coral also arrived looking nice. I know it’s hit-or-miss a lot of the time with these, but I’ve never tried. Put it into the big tank- would be sweet to have a huge one in a few years! Pretty expensive for LPS, $60 and the skeleton is probably 2” across. 

Rmas5T1.jpg

• Like 3

IMO you got a good deal on the elegance. I've had a few and now they are going pricey, like what you're seeing the golden torches at. I don't remember seeing colonies for $90, but 4 years ago you could get them for a good deal at around $50 a head. That's doubled from what I've seen on a hobbyist level. These things ebb and flow.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

hey bud, how is the 350 doing? saw a note on another thread about doser mishap...

Yeah, I had a major dosing mishap, and havent updated here out of shame/guilt/being bummed out. No excuse either- just my inattentivness and distractibility. Set doser to “ON” to clear the lines of air after putting in new solution, got distracted, later went to bed. Certainty the largest hiccup I’ve ever hit with this tank. Of course with the new solutions, it dosed all night. White. 

Alk hit 11.5, if not higher, and corals are NOT happy. Montipora caps, including my huge red one, are shockingly pale. Still alive, not RTN’d, but just a hint of red. Acro colonies surprisingly don’t look bad, having both color and PE. They might just not be showing signs yet, a delayed reaction? Frags are starting to kick the bucket one at a time, lost one really nice big unique frag and a few of my tank-grown ones. 

I’ve gotten alk down to ~8.3 by swapping water with the 300g. Not sure if doing all those water changes, like 70%, will save me by bringing alk or make stuff worse due to instability. 😞 

So right now it is unclear to me whether this is a (relatively) small issue, that will recover in a month, or if I will see more RTN. 

• Sad 2

Good luck, I hope most of it pulls through.  Nothing to feel embarrassed about.  I've certainly done some stupid things in the past, like leaving the water run while filling up containers.  It's quite the shock the moment you realize what you've done.  Afterwards, I don't know how many times I've run downstairs in the middle of the night just to check to make sure I didn't forget something.

5 minutes ago, seabass said:

Good luck, I hope most of it pulls through.  Nothing to feel embarrassed about.  I've certainly done some stupid things in the past, like leaving the water run while filling up containers.  It's quite the shock the moment you realize what you've done.  Afterwards, I don't know how many times I've run downstairs in the middle of the night just to check to make sure I didn't forget something.

Thanks.... Im hoping that now that alk is normal, things might stabilize. I won't be home till late tonight, but tomorrow I will try to post photos.  The "known" losses are not that high, if things can pull through I will be thrilled. 

I considered throwing everything (or at least a few racks) into the 300, but that might just stress them more. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

Yeah, I had a major dosing mishap, and havent updated here out of shame/guilt/being bummed out. No excuse either- just my inattentivness and distractibility. Set doser to “ON” to clear the lines of air after putting in new solution, got distracted, later went to bed. Certainty the largest hiccup I’ve ever hit with this tank. Of course with the new solutions, it dosed all night. White. 

Alk hit 11.5, if not higher, and corals are NOT happy. Montipora caps, including my huge red one, are shockingly pale. Still alive, not RTN’d, but just a hint of red. Acro colonies surprisingly don’t look bad, having both color and PE. They might just not be showing signs yet, a delayed reaction? Frags are starting to kick the bucket one at a time, lost one really nice big unique frag and a few of my tank-grown ones. 

I’ve gotten alk down to ~8.3 by swapping water with the 300g. Not sure if doing all those water changes, like 70%, will save me by bringing alk or make stuff worse due to instability. 😞 

So right now it is unclear to me whether this is a (relatively) small issue, that will recover in a month, or if I will see more RTN. 

Ouch.  Did this exact same thing except got lucky and it was only calcium and the reservoir was fairly low.  

34 minutes ago, specore said:

Ouch.  Did this exact same thing except got lucky and it was only calcium and the reservoir was fairly low.  

Here it was both 😞. I have them on a single outlet, just dosing in different locations. 

2 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Sorry, I miss that. If Alk was spiked overnight, rapidly bringing it down shouldn't matter. Would be a different story if the happened, say, a couple weeks or longer. Try lowering light intensity and increase nutrients for a while. It might help a bit. Don't worry, it happened to the best out there. Fix it and move on. 

Oh no, that brings bad memories back from when I killed my 4g tank the same way. Only mine got so much Alk it literally dissolved the fish. Amazingly I still had a few corals survive. 

Hopefully you won't have too much more damage, getting it back down quickly should help a lot. 

Now when I run the doser to clear the lines, I pull them out of the tank and drain them into a cup. It's a pain but well worth it. 

• Like 2

We think we might have an end around out of Indo for short term. They pull this shit every 10 years or so, nothing new out of the corrupt Indonesian government. Someone in the food chain thinks they're getting screwed so 20,000 coral divers that rely on corals to live get REALLY screwed.

That Elegance coral is Aussie, if it was Indo, it would have died in their tank. Turn it on an angle, I glue/cement mine to a flat piece of rock so it's tilted a little. They can't clean themselves very well in a 90 degree aspect. I had one back in the 80s that would have looked beautiful in that 300, it was close to 2' across. Back then, Elegance out of Indo were tough as nails, I had that piece for over 5 years. M took care of it while I was deployed, she did a hell of a job with it. It had a pair of Neon gobies that lived on/in/around it and they defended it fiercely when they had eggs.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

It was was so healthy too 😞. Encrusted my plug and branching. Rip.

EwLZNpC.jpg

Qf0gwWX.jpg

Damn this is freaking me out. One of my favorite tanks . Seriously hope it isn't nuked. If anyone can pull out of this I am sure it is you Mr. POTTER. good luck😬

• HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350