Innovative Marine Aquariums

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

57 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

It’s cute. I would get it off your hands but to make shipping worthwhile, I would have to pick handful of other frags. Lol

Besides, I don’t do PP crap since they f....ked me several years ago. 

That’s why I only ship to members who have been here a while- don’t want unjustified chargebacks. Not sure what payment transfer method you’d prefer as an  alternate; Venmo? Facebook? Apple? PayPal is secure for sure, but yeah it is always hard to prove your case against someone who is lying. It’s a risk both buyers and sellers have to take. 

A Little Blue
52 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

That’s why I only ship to members who have been here a while- don’t want unjustified chargebacks. Not sure what payment transfer method you’d prefer as an  alternate; Venmo? Facebook? Apple? PayPal is secure for sure, but yeah it is always hard to prove your case against someone who is lying. It’s a risk both buyers and sellers have to take. 

Years ago you could use PP invoice, send it to whomever and let them use their credit card. I don’t think you can do that anymore. Yeah, I got burned on PP in clear case of theft and refused to use it since. I guess I am old school as some of the other payment methods I haven’t heard about. Lol 

No worries, I usually buy local or online. My wife is already pissed as it is. 🤣

• Like 1
8 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

This ugly guy- photo from March, it is now branching a ton as you see. No namer 🙂 

dXv58sE.jpg

@xiaoxiy has a flat frag of it. Im really pleased that it is branching so much- it will be a dense colony. I have a frag or three of complete flat encrystment over the 3/4 plug. 

I will trim back the cap ASAP, just noticed it is trying to grow over it. 

9 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

screw the stag!  what's shooting up all the tips on the frag rack?  Those montis (all of them really) are pretty sick too!

Woah—- just took this photo. Looks nothing like before!!! Corals are cool 🙂 

X4odFbs.jpg

• Like 5

Excited for my reefcleaners CUC order this week! It’s mainly for the 300g but I plan on stealing a few dozen critters for myself. Right now I just have maybe 4 trochus LOL, I really would like some nassarius and hermits. My sand bed has been getting dirty rather quickly recently, and *automatic* cleaners would be better than weekly manual mixing.

Better yet, it’s really my “dads” order so the critters are freebies to me.  

Big skimmer is skimming! I don’t have the auto neck cleaner installed yet as I was still adjusting it. The auto neck cleaner needs a modification to hold a flow switch. 

H5Devb0.jpg

• Like 1

And a dark morning FTS- you can see I need some more CUC! 

I wish I had a spot to mount the yellow efflo. I would like to remove my 15 RFA rock on the left,  but it also has Aptasia. So I would need to break the rock apart to get them off to sell/trade, which is a lot of work. Unless someone who already has Aptasia was interested?

the nudibranches are taking care of 90% of em, but I am sure that there will be a few left over.

The LPS on the sand bed will be moved to the 300 gallon ASAP 🙂 

rGLkKRm.jpg

• Like 6
On 8/23/2018 at 6:21 PM, HarryPotter said:

And mah baby 😍

1YZjkZU.jpg

Tanks looking great, as alway, bud! Is that the infamous yellow efflo? How yellow does it look in day light and under blues? Or does it have a greenish tint? I am super intrigued by this acro.

10 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Tanks looking great, as alway, bud! Is that the infamous yellow efflo? How yellow does it look in day light and under blues? Or does it have a greenish tint? I am super intrigued by this acro.

Thanks! 

It is pretty yellow- no hint of green. If anything, under low lighting it can turn a bit brown. My phone camera doesn’t capture it well under blues. 

This is video was from the beginning of this month, with just the phone camera/flashlight. 

This is is a picture of the original colony at TCK, before it died 😞. Yeah, doesn’t that suck? The yellow seems deeper here than my frag, but it is pretty darn similar. 

p3mKSqR.jpg

• Wow 1
10 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Have you seen videos of people using a high powered blue laser to fry aptasia anemones right through the glass? You just point the beam, focus, and cook them. Blows my damn mind, but seems pretty convenient. It also seems like something you'd be into trying out!

I have! There are mixed reviews about whether that causes a bazillion baby Aptasia to appear. Someone in the lounge had that experience as well. I saw a few nudibranches today, and most of the accessible Aptasia are gone—- if the nudibranches maintain this low population, it will be money well spent! 

If I had more uses for a high power laser maybe.... hmm I bet I could attach that to the CNC and have a laser engraver 😮. I should work on brittle-star catching first. Too many things. 

Reefcleaners tomorrow 🙂 

• Like 1

Scaped, added a ton of room for acros!! 

It looks better in person- will get better photos when I mount more sticks 🙂 

it started out by chopping off a few chunks of red montipora and sliding everything a few inches to the right. Of course during this process I had to lift up the rocks and mix the sand under them- NASTY! The tubing you see is another return pump, I added a temporary one to clear up the tank faster. Replaced (both) filter cups three times. 

mtcbpQH.jpg

There is a lot of ”dimension” with this new side, I really like it. Just need to move out the LPS on the bottom right of the sand bed to the big tank... and then the sand bed is empty?! 😮 

i threw that acro colony up there on the top left temporarily, but it’s growing on me. That colony seems to grow a quarter inch a week, it’s really nuts. Way bigger than my open hand. 

dyPu2hz.jpg

Super enjoying the tank recently. Running so smoothly and Alk demand has been steadily increasing. Just watching things color up and grow 🙂. I am super tempted to get the nanobox retrofit. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

your efflo is crooked :tongueout:

Everyones a critic!!! ??

Tis is not glued down yet, just sitting on the rock. I’d like to chop the colony off the disk before mounting it-because the disk is 4” diameter, fully encrusted. It would pop out a ton of frags! A bit nervous to take a hacksaw to it though. 

• Like 1

300 definitly has ich and the powder blue died, so gonna go fallow/coral only for a while. Need to reconsider how we will introduce fish. Really don’t have the room to set up a 40g quarantine.... but half my reading suggests that ich is always present and is just problematic when fish are stressed. 

Plan is to add corals and develop more bacteria/algae for fish to enjoy before adding anything else. 

The skimmer is a beast! The cleaner runs for 15 seconds every 4 hours. 

eK5Lcx7.jpg

• Sad 1
A Little Blue

Sure, ich can be a problem. And you’re right, it will develop and attack weak and stressed out fish. You don’t need a big tank for quarantine. Anything that will hold water for several weeks with OK filtration will do. 

I have a sixline in my quarantine tank for couple week now. It showed some discoloration/spot that worried me a bit. I didn’t use any medication just frequent feeding and plenty of live pods to keep him happy. Discoloration is gone. So, if you can, do what’s necessary to prevent unnecessary headaches in the future. 

1 minute ago, A Little Blue said:

Sure, ich can be a problem. And you’re right, it will develop and attack weak and stressed out fish. You don’t need a big tank for quarantine. Anything that will hold water for several weeks with OK filtration will do. 

I have a sixline in my quarantine tank for couple week now. It showed some discoloration/spot that worried me a bit. I didn’t use any medication just frequent feeding and plenty of live pods to keep him happy. Discoloration is gone. So, if you can, do what’s necessary to prevent unnecessary headaches in the future. 

For quarantining a sixline a small tank is fine, but for tangs? 😞 

A Little Blue
Just now, HarryPotter said:

For quarantining a sixline a small tank is fine, but for tangs? 😞 

Can you setup something temporary like a plastic garbage can from HD? That would work on the cheap side. 

4 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Can you setup something temporary like a plastic garbage can from HD? That would work on the cheap side. 

Cost isn’t the issue and I definitly have spare 40b+ filter. Its just space and ease of maintenance. Can’t have a garbage can perpetually next to the tanks 

A Little Blue
46 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Cost isn’t the issue and I definitly have spare 40b+ filter. Its just space and ease of maintenance. Can’t have a garbage can perpetually next to the tanks 

I see. Well, there are some solutions for exterior parasites and quick conditioning of the fish. I think it’s a two part dip solution. But nothing that will take care of internal parasites or diseases. 

Perhaps your LFS could do a Q for you? 

I don’t care if it decreases efficiency, gotta love red powerheads!!

3YgQ4mc.jpg

Going to to try a 3 stage DI system, in hopes of increasing the resin efficiency. I had a spare canister, so may as well. Cation>Anion>Mixed Bed. Since my RODI system is used by my dad for the 300g,  he pays for resin- so may as well try it! 😂

Putting off off doing it though until the TDS is above 8; right now I still get 5. 

@seabass, were you the resident RODI expert? Or was it @jedimasterben? I am wondering whether running resins like this will help with the high C02 well water, or if it is unrelated.

i9194Pj.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, seabass said:

CO2 will shorten the life of DI resin.  So some sort of aeration (or de-gasification) should improve the life.  I couldn't find what I was looking for, but: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-co2-degassing-chamber-for-ro-di.212587/

Figure 2: Typical diffused aeration configuration.

I think I've seen water just run into a larger PVC pipe (with an air stone in it). :unsure:  Still not finding it. 

Hmm I’ve heard of degassing in a trash can, but I don’t have a pump equipped to push it back through the resin once it’s in a bucket. The inline-degassing thing you posted is interesting. I wonder if pushing so many bubbles through the resin might harm it though? The diagram you posted doesn’t show where the air exits. 

31 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Hmm I’ve heard of degassing in a trash can, but I don’t have a pump equipped to push it back through the resin once it’s in a bucket.

Maybe one of these: http://aquatec.com/pumps/demanddeliverypumps.html

The inline-degassing thing you posted is interesting. I wonder if pushing so many bubbles through the resin might harm it though? The diagram you posted doesn’t show where the air exits.

I assume that there is a relief hole in the top (maybe even another pipe to extend it up some).  Yeah, I suppose the bubbles could be an issue; maybe a second chamber without aeration, to get rid of the excess bubbles (or some sort of bubble trap in the first one).  Not really sure.

• Like 1
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350