Coral Vue Hydros

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

mitten_reef
3 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

I did a thing on Friday. Gorgeous, and eats mysis like a monster!! A little, ~3”, powder blue tang. 

9mg8Go7.jpg

When will this tank get its own journal?  I see many changes already (other than that gorgeous powder blue tang), like new sand added? 

• Like 2
On 8/3/2018 at 9:55 PM, HarryPotter said:

Got a battery backup set up and the apex coded for it. The blank EB832 is for the lighting, which will hopefully ship Monday. 

Wiring needs to be cleaned up again, but will really be finished when the lighting is here. 4 cables for bulbs, two for fans, two for LEDs. Or maybe I will connect the appropriate wiring from each fixture before the apex, halving the amount of outlets needed. I guess it depends on whether I want a left-right ramp up/down with the bulbs. Doesn’t matter much given the LEDs will be on a schedule. 

Can you share an example of the coding for the battery backup?

1 minute ago, specore said:

Can you share an example of the coding for the battery backup?

Well, the apex has the power adapter  connected to just a surge protector. That way the system knows if it is on battery power or AC power.  So on any outlet that you want OFF during a power outage, you add “If power Apex OFF then OFF”. Also, on the email/text alarm, you add “If power Apex OFF then ON”. 

On 8/6/2018 at 12:02 PM, This guy is extra salty said:

I have always had terrible luck with powder blues. They never make it out of QT

So far it has been eating like a pig- like half a cube of mysis at a time. Hopefully it continues to do well

On 8/6/2018 at 11:48 AM, micoastreefing said:

When will this tank get its own journal?  I see many changes already (other than that gorgeous powder blue tang), like new sand added? 

Yes at some point it will 😂, I keep procrastinating.

9 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Well, the apex has the power adapter  connected to just a surge protector. That way the system knows if it is on battery power or AC power.  So on any outlet that you want OFF during a power outage, you add “If power Apex OFF then OFF”. Also, on the email/text alarm, you add “If power Apex OFF then ON”. 

Thanks.  I didn't realize it could distinguish between battery and regular ac power.  

32 minutes ago, specore said:

Thanks.  I didn't realize it could distinguish between battery and regular ac power.  

It can if you buy the apex power adapter. So the apex brain knows when it changes from getting power from that adapter to from the power bar (Plugged into battery) via usb. If you have multiple power bars, you can use the same thing with “if power EB8_2 OFF then OFF”

On 8/6/2018 at 11:48 AM, micoastreefing said:

May or may not have tossed in a 'dori 😬

Re sand decision: 

The bottom of the tank is eurobraced, so it looked like crap without sand. I forgot it was eurobraced bottom too. So like an extra panel around the corners and all the sides. This is arag alive special grade. 

Livestock list is:

• Two Percula Clowns 
  • Two Cardinalfish
  • Two Wrasses
  • Two chromis (1 MIA)
  • Powder Blue Tang
  • Blue Tang

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Poor man’s nano-bubbles technology?

Exactly! I could do something sketchy with an airstone next to return pump input, but this works too- blast bubbles into the vortech 😂. I mixed up the sand with the pump and then did the bubble thingy. Tomorrow I’ll change floss for sure! 

The first light fixture is up on the 300! Just waiting for the second one to arrive. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue
13 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Exactly! I could do something sketchy with an airstone next to return pump input, but this works too- blast bubbles into the vortech 😂. I mixed up the sand with the pump and then did the bubble thingy. Tomorrow I’ll change floss for sure! 

I hear a lot about this lately. Japan has this ceramic nozzle that creates micro nano babbles that they use for various coastal cleaning projects. Wished it was available for public. 

Does it work for you?

3 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I hear a lot about this lately. Japan has this ceramic nozzle that creates micro nano babbles that they use for various costal cleaning projects. Wished it was available for public. 

Does it work for you?

I’m not sure what “work” would entail, because I am not sure exactly what it is supposed to do. It doesn’t hurt anything. From what I see, corals slime and algae bits/assorted gunk get lifted up and filtered out. I definitely get nice dark skimmate the day after, and filthy floss. The PE is especially impressive at night following a bubble/sand mix session.

• Like 1
A Little Blue
3 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I’m not sure what “work” would entail, because I am not sure exactly what it is supposed to do. It doesn’t hurt anything. From what I see, corals slime and algae bits/assorted gunk get lifted up and filtered out. I definitely get nice dark skimmate the day after, and filthy floss. The PE is especially impressive at night following a bubble/sand mix session.

I might try it on my other tank one day. 

Here is the video about testing nano bubble technology to clean up coast of Japan. (Copy & paste. YouTube doesn’t allow this video to be embedded) 

https://youtu.be/r4rJKypLijA 

8 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I might try it on my other tank one day. 

Here is the video about testing nano bubble technology to clean up coast of Japan. (Copy & paste. YouTube doesn’t allow this video to be embedded) 

https://youtu.be/r4rJKypLijA 

Very cool! Thank you for sharing. I don’t know what size bubbles I get- almost certainly not nano- but they most definitely do pick up sludge 🙂 

A Little Blue
7 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Very cool! Thank you for sharing. I don’t know what size bubbles I get- almost certainly not nano- but they most definitely do pick up sludge 🙂 

NP. How often are you doing it? Weekly? 

5 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

NP. How often are you doing it? Weekly? 

Not really scheduled—- maybe twice a month?  

My “real” tank maintenance is mixing up the sand bed with a pump before the twice monthly water changes. I do the bubbles then, when I have that pump out.  It looks cool 😎

• Like 1
A Little Blue
7 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Not really scheduled—- maybe twice a month?  

My “real” tank maintenance is mixing up the sand bed with a pump before the twice monthly water changes. I do the bubbles then, when I have that pump out.  It looks cool 😎

I got to see that one day. 😳

There is only one other product that can produce bubbles of true nano size but it’s a little pricey (after frag distribution venture you might afford it tho lol) $200 I think. Some University came up with it and now it became available. 

One of the the fixtures is up! The other won’t arrive till Tuesday. It’s freaking sick.... even without the 6 bulbs on, the LEDs appear as bright as my 8 bulbs! Loving the morning and evening ramps too. The lights will be hung so that the canopy is easy to remove 🙂

hZVEi43.jpg

• Like 9
  • Wow 1
48 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

One of the the fixtures is up! The other won’t arrive till Tuesday. It’s freaking sick.... even without the 6 bulbs on, the LEDs appear as bright as my 8 bulbs! Loving the morning and evening ramps too. The lights will be hung to the canopy is easy to remove 🙂

hZVEi43.jpg

Welcome to nanoboxreef reef club!

How many arrays/tubes? I’m sure you already said it somewhere, but I’m too lazy to go back and look. 

Just now, micoastreefing said:

How many arrays/tubes? I’m sure you already said it somewhere, but I’m too lazy to go back and look. 

As much as I could fit- 6 tubes, 8 arrays.  Times two 😮 

yrpfYPJ.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 4
1 minute ago, HarryPotter said:

yrpfYPJ.jpg

Don’t know whether I should be jealous or feeling happy for the potential of this 300G reef of yours. 🤗

Just now, micoastreefing said:

Don’t know whether I should be jealous or feeling happy for the potential of this 300G reef of yours. 🤗

More corals growing here means more corals shipping out to mah NR peeps xD 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

I don’t think I like the SPS+ schedule. Too much blues, with royals blasting for 1.5 hours before and after the daylight phase. And only 5 hours of daylight, which seems low.  I am thinking of having the T5s on starting 45 minutes before the LED daylight program, and ending 45 minutes after. This will dilute the “royals only” program down to 45 minutes instead of 1.5 hours. And make daylight 6.5 hours, which is slightly better (still low) . Or maybe I’ll try the other program he has, that is described as more natural. 

A Little Blue
6 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

More corals growing here means more corals shipping out to mah NR peeps xD 

Use less blues for growth. 🤫

• Like 1
7 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

yrpfYPJ.jpg

That's just nuts! I was wondering does dave just retro  the ati fixture? And out of curiosity is there like a splash guard that covers the lamps???

• HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350