Top Shelf Aquatics

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

This guy is extra salty
1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

@markalot picked up a discount bottle today at a swap- interesting, no? Potassium nitrate, calcium nitrate, sodium nitrate.  

GliTej3.jpg

Also so picked up a pretty milli- sunset horizon or something silly.

JwP2rAY.jpg

Let me know how the dosing of nitrates go

• Like 1
HarryPotter
On 6/2/2018 at 5:28 PM, markalot said:

Can you mix all those?  It is interesting.  🙂

Apparently so- although the ME guy acts like he is God’s gift to reefers which is somewhat annoying. Car salesman sketchy/lying tactics. Bashing reef roids for only having one ingredient while his has multiple- so I show him a picture of reef roids ingredients and he immediately shifts to bashing them for heavy metals? Lol. A car salesman. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Apparently so- although the ME guy acts like he is God’s gift to reefers which is somewhat annoying. Car salesman sketchy lying tactics. Bashing reef roids for only having one ingredient while his has multiple- so I show him a picture of reef roids ingredients and he immediately shifts to bashing them for heavy metals? Lol. A car salesman. 

Thats how I felt when I met him a Reef A Palooza.

• Like 2
HarryPotter

Changed all 8 bulbs to the Geisemann, 4 actinic blue and 4 actinic. Those were the $8 bulbs from RAP. First time I have ever had new bulbs, so I am being cautious. Tank looks real nice. Have a 48x18 sump ordered for the 300, real nice. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...
mitten_reef

Hey, what dosing pump(s) do you use?  I recall you mentioned how good a deal Jebao DP-4 is, but also think I saw that you’re using BRS dosers with apex. If u have jebao, curious what u think about it. Need some more automation in my life. 

HarryPotter
5 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Hey, what dosing pump(s) do you use?  I recall you mentioned how good a deal Jebao DP-4 is, but also think I saw that you’re using BRS dosers with apex. If u have jebao, curious what u think about it. Need some more automation in my life. 

Used to have the Jebao, really liked it until after a few years I noticed my dosing reservoirs (Ca and Alk) would often be uneven, even after calibrating the doser. Like I would have 20-25% more Ca remaining than Alk, etc. It is very budget equipment that worked well for a couple years until I upgraded to the BRS dosers. 

Lots of warfare going on in acro haven 

MI93rbo.jpg

• Like 1
mitten_reef
8 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Used to have the Jebao, really liked it until after a few years I noticed my dosing reservoirs (Ca and Alk) would often be uneven, even after calibrating the doser. Like I would have 20-25% more Ca remaining than Alk, etc. It is very budget equipment that worked well for a couple years until I upgraded to the BRS dosers. 

Lots of warfare going on in acro haven 

MI93rbo.jpg

Dude, that’s more like a branch takeover!

ok, so I’m sensing no on jebao. I do have a nice timer digital-controlled outlet that I can plug in two Brs pumps in and have it programmed down to the minutes that need to be on. But at two pumps, I’m getting pretty closed to one of those self-contained dosing pump system. Decisions....😩

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Dude, that’s more like a branch takeover!

ok, so I’m sensing no on jebao. I do have a nice timer digital-controlled outlet that I can plug in two Brs pumps in and have it programmed down to the minutes that need to be on. But at two pumps, I’m getting pretty closed to one of those self-contained dosing pump system. Decisions....😩

Hijacking Harry's thread but what the heck...the BRS dosers are nice because you can control them so much better than any cheap four headed doser. Like Harry said, the DP-4 is especially inaccurate especially in small amounts per dose.

The more expensive four headed dosers are better and they usually have some kind of wifi control. Different pump technology is more accurate. But even there you give up Apex control, which is nice if you already have an Apex.

One plus for the wifi controllers is for manual dosing, or flushing out tubes, they are way faster. It takes 20 minutes to flush one tube in my Apex setup.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
mitten_reef

Don’t know whether to get excited for you or be super jealous.

Either way, I say you should start a new thread on the “large tank” section, you’re running with the big boys now. 

• Like 1
HarryPotter
39 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Don’t know whether to get excited for you or be super jealous.

Either way, I say you should start a new thread on the “large tank” section, you’re running with the big boys now. 

Im thinking about going with a calcium reactor instead of dosing. That would be pretty nice. Nah, this upcoming thread belongs with the picos!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
HarryPotter
On 6/2/2018 at 3:23 PM, This guy is extra salty said:

Let me know how the dosing of nitrates go

On 6/2/2018 at 5:28 PM, markalot said:

Can you mix all those?  It is interesting.  🙂

Been adding 15ml per day, supposedly should lift my nitrates 1.5ppm. Haven't noticed anything tho! Skimmer is working well, I wonder if I am just pulling it out. 

• Like 2

Hard to say.  I see a noticeable increase in colors a day after dosing nitrates ... when I let them hit 0.  Any color improvement?

HarryPotter
2 hours ago, markalot said:

Hard to say.  I see a noticeable increase in colors a day after dosing nitrates ... when I let them hit 0.  Any color improvement?

Colors do look really great. Growth tips as well as coloration- I will post a photo of the acro rack in a day or two. At night there are oranges in a bunch of acros that were not there a month ago. However, I also recently (~2 weeks?) changed my bulb combo to the blue and actinic geissmans that I got discounted at FMAS, so its hard to come to a conclusion. I think I will continue with the nitrates for now 🙂

I will start a thread for the 300 gallon tank soon. Today it was drained, rock taken out, cichlids taken to store, sump removed, etc. Ordered the salt, filter media cups, and some fresh DI resin from @Marine Depot. Tomorrow will start bleaching the reefcleaners rock, and do a through cleaning of the tank. I have fans going in the stand, to dry it out super well before I put on a thick coat of polyurethane to protect it. After the sump goes in, will need to decide on skimmer and calcium reactor. The reactor might wait a bit, until the tank cycles. The canopy needs some modifications so that the dual 8x54w ATIs will fit in nicely, as well as some repairs to the wood which has rotted a bit over time. 

The apex order is pending on how much store credit we get from the LFS from all the cichlids- if it is significant, we will buy it from them. If not, from MD. Besides the breakout box which I use for leak warning and some float switches, I dont see a need for any additional modules.   

• Like 5
HarryPotter

@markalot, unfortunately it doesn’t look like I can get two 48” fixtures in there. I am still planning on hanging them, but there would be a lot of spill. 

P3xTETC.jpg

Bleaching a ton of rocks, more coats of epoxy sealer, and cleaned out the tank.

4ZJP4Qc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
HarryPotter

Apex is here, along with breakout box. An open box BRSTV skimmer popped up so I grabbed that. Possibly a neck cleaner too. 

Regal 3000SSS

• Like 2
HarryPotter
11 hours ago, Sancho said:

So is this now the 300 build thread? 

Umm... probably not, since this tank is staying up. When I get water in the tank I’ll make another thread? 

• Like 2
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350