ReefCleaners.org

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

11 minutes ago, RollaJase said:

Tank is looking great Harry, glad to see it has bounced back after the issues you had a while back.

Thanks! It’s stabilized again and growth is great. Trying to get rid of frags locally but can’t find any takers!

i realized that my phone has this cool timelapse mode built in, so tomorrow I might do a water change using that- see if I can get the 20 minute job into a 20 second video! 

Tonight: everything calm on the reef, the sand looks super clean and corals have nice PE. I really need to get rid of those Torch corals. 

kjsG4Uw.jpg

• Like 6
On 1/10/2018 at 10:00 PM, HarryPotter said:

Thanks! It’s stabilized again and growth is great. Trying to get rid of frags locally but can’t find any takers!

i realized that my phone has this cool timelapse mode built in, so tomorrow I might do a water change using that- see if I can get the 20 minute job into a 20 second video! 

Tonight: everything calm on the reef, the sand looks super clean and corals have nice PE. I really need to get rid of those Torch corals. 

kjsG4Uw.jpg

Getting rid of torches?! I'll happily snatch them up! They're my favorite!

1 hour ago, banshee said:

Getting rid of torches?! I'll happily snatch them up! They're my favorite!

Issue is that shipping is usually around $50-60, so people dont want to do that for a few torches :( 

7 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Cant you sell to LFS? 

For a few bucks a head, and then they resell for like $30 or so. Pain in the butt. I wouldn't mind if they gave me 15 a head and then resold for $30, but giving me $4 seems cheap. I would rather give them away for free. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, HarryPotter said:

For a few bucks a head, and then they resell for like $30 or so. Pain in the butt. I wouldn't mind if they gave me 15 a head and then resold for $30, but giving me $4 seems cheap. I would rather give them away for free. 

Dude, that's a huge rip-off.  my LFS owner had said that he happily takes frags for store credit of 1/4 of what he thinks he can retail it for.  @ $4 per head, that's almost 1/8 :rant:

I gotta say Harry, your acros have some of the most natural tabling patterns I have seen. Most acros grow towards a single direction in captivity, but yours have 360 tabling! Keep up the great flow and work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

I gotta say Harry, your acros have some of the most natural tabling patterns I have seen. Most acros grow towards a single direction in captivity, but yours have 360 tabling! Keep up the great flow and work!

My guesses is that they have so much light that they grow sideways instead of just up like they did in my 45 gallon? The flow is pretty much one direction with the single Vortech running on constant, going right to left across the front panel and left to right along the back. Thanks!

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

My guesses is that they have so much light that they grow sideways instead of just up like they did in my 45 gallon? The flow is pretty much one direction with the single Vortech running on constant, going right to left across the front panel and left to right along the back. Thanks!

That's actually a super sweet observation. Are the Tunze and misc powerheads not providing much flow?

2 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

That's actually a super sweet observation. Are the Tunze and misc powerheads not providing much flow?

The 2 Jebao PP4s are pretty weak, they just to help reduce dead spots where Cyano grows. If I had another $350 to get a MP40 on the other side I would use the fancy programming that goes back and forth every minute, but the flow is pretty good. 

• Like 2
Just now, HarryPotter said:

The 2 Jebao PP4s are pretty weak, they just to help reduce dead spots where Cyano grows. If I had another $350 to get a MP40 on the other side I would use the fancy programming that goes back and forth every minute, but the flow is pretty good. 

That's what I have right now, 2 Vortechs facing each other. The alternating flow is nice, don't know if it's doing anything special though lol.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Would you attribute any of the lighting toward t5’s even distribution? What light was on the 45, vs this one?

9 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Would you attribute any of the lighting toward t5’s even distribution? What light was on the 45, vs this one?

A Radion was on the 45, which I didnt like since under the branches always died :( 

1 hour ago, jbb_00 said:

Looking good mijo :)

Thanks B ;) 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

You didn't fix the crooked frag rack! :(

Ha! That rack is just a bunch of torch coral frags, so the flow or lighting doesn’t really matter. I was more nervous by adding 20 gallons of 55 degree water, and the corals being exposed dry to that temperature for 10 minutes or so! 

Yeah, I need a heater for the water change bucket: in Florida! Take that, you global warming sham advocates! 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Ha! That rack is just a bunch of torch coral frags, so the flow or lighting doesn’t really matter. I was more nervous by adding 20 gallons of 55 degree water, and the corals being exposed dry to that temperature for 10 minutes or so! 

Yeah, I need a heater for the water change bucket: in Florida! Take that, you global warming sham advocates! 

What do you use to pump the saltwater into the tank?  

12 minutes ago, markalot said:

What do you use to pump the saltwater into the tank?  

My mixing pump, an old MJ1200 from a nanocube. I have a 20g bucket in that bathroom. I fill it to a line with RODI and add precisely 6.0lb of salt to mix it. Then I drain water into the identical 20g bucket (also has a line) you see in the video. I occasionally check the salinity of the water but it is always consistent.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Travis said:

I figured you would have switch to Triton or ATI Essentials by now, Harry.  No water changes is too easy :P

I do the water changes not only to replenish trace elements, during this I mix up the sand to remove any nutrient pockets too. Ive skipped water changes for 3 months with no issue, just the sand isn't so white! 

4 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I do the water changes not only to replenish trace elements, during this I mix up the sand to remove any nutrient pockets too. Ive skipped water changes for 3 months with no issue, just the sand isn't so white! 

Makes sense to me.  I give my sand a stir once a week and turkey baste the rocks every two weeks or so.  When I do, my filter sock will clog and overflow, lol.

• HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350