Innovative Marine Aquariums

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

hahaha I did too! great looking SPS. you got the touch!

I finally learned to leave shit alone! ? Feeding mysis and roids every 3 days, using a liter of Ca and a liter of Alk every 3 weeks

Bumping these to new page

IMG_0122_zpsffzpimo5.jpg

Braaap is getting my other colony of this one. Pretty sweet coral!

IMG_0108_zpsueynexpf.jpg

One of my favorites

IMG_0105_zps8g2rnzat.jpg

Not too much growth on this one, but the color is awesome

IMG_0111_zpszscnoeh6.jpg

Took off a nice thick branch for braaap

IMG_0112_zps3ds6qvqu.jpg

Harry, you are doing a great job with your tank, Kudos to you. Colors and growth look amazing in your photos!

Thanks Shane or John! I try to represent what I see 100% in photos, no enhancing just sometimes getting the washed out purple/blue that my camera picks up.

• Like 5

I forgot to mention that yesterday for the first time in months I saw my presumed dead Sally Lightfoot crab and it's a MONSTER! Like 4" leg to leg. Maybe it's what caused the algaes to disappear :)

• Like 3

Looking great Harry. Amazing what happens when you leave things be.

Keep it up!

Thanks Dave! I know the color would be better with some NB pucks but..... Ill get there one day!

Always awesome to find something you thought was gone!

I know right? Feels like a freebie PLUS the relief it never died in the first place

Tank looks incredible! So clean and colorful!

Thanks SpinyCheek! I really like your magnetic single coral hinged frag mount. It would be amazing to have like 30-40 of them, a complete custom frag rack with adjustable spacing and angles for each coral!

Nothing new with the tank- skimmer is working well again, carbon still offline, sand and glass are pretty clear. I haven't done a water change in about a month so will do one tomorrow. Unfortunately my TDS is reading about 7 post DI, in a few weeks ill be able to get some new resin B) . I did find a new container of reef roids professional in a box of random reefing stuff, it should last a year or so!

• Like 2

So i did a normal water change and the tank went white- like can't see the back of it cloudy white. I've used this batch of salt before with no issues, so what the heck? Only thing I can think of is that the RODI was 10 TDS and in the bucket for like 10 days, I usually use it right after I make it.

Corals are extended from what I can see and fish swimming like normal so I hope it'll just go away in a few hours. A bit anxious though!

So i did a normal water change and the tank went white- like can't see the back of it cloudy white. I've used this batch of salt before with no issues, so what the heck? Only thing I can think of is that the RODI was 10 TDS and in the bucket for like 10 days, I usually use it right after I make it.

Corals are extended from what I can see and fish swimming like normal so I hope it'll just go away in a few hours. A bit anxious though!

Check your levels. Maybe your calcium precipitated out?

That is possible. Mine sometimes looks a little cloudy because my valve allows salt to collect and it doesn't mix well.

Everything is getting it off after the water change ??? anemones, snails, clam, everything is sperming up the water!

• Like 2
On 2/5/2017 at 9:36 PM, HarryPotter said:

I finally learned to leave shit alone! ? Feeding mysis and roids every 3 days, using a liter of Ca and a liter of Alk every 3 weeks

Bumping these to new page

IMG_0122_zpsffzpimo5.jpg

Braaap is getting my other colony of this one. Pretty sweet coral!

IMG_0108_zpsueynexpf.jpg

One of my favorites

IMG_0105_zps8g2rnzat.jpg

Not too much growth on this one, but the color is awesome

IMG_0111_zpszscnoeh6.jpg

Took off a nice thick branch for braaap

IMG_0112_zps3ds6qvqu.jpg

Thanks Shane or John! I try to represent what I see 100% in photos, no enhancing just sometimes getting the washed out purple/blue that my camera picks up.

What a beautiful tank!

Great job on the photos too! I'm still working on getting my settings right

3 hours ago, NanoSteve said:

What a beautiful tank!

Great job on the photos too! I'm still working on getting my settings right

Thanks! Now that I found the settings, photos are just aim and shoot with my camera. You'll get them soon enough!

IMG_0125_zpsdhdfj5j1.jpg

IMG_0130_zpswhkrp1l9.jpg

IMG_0129_zpskpwsxzqa.jpg

• Like 14
10 minutes ago, gena said:

Looks amazing, Harry!  Do your clowns mostly hang out by the monticap?  That's where mine liked to be in my 45g cube. 

Hmm I dont think so. More near the center LPS garden! 

The female clown sleeps in the anemone, and the male clown sleeps inside the frogspawn- wedges itself inside the branches.

28 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

one of the best reefer i have seen!  

Don't worry you have no competition! At least until I get rid of all the damn racks :blush:

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

The female clown sleeps in the anemone, and the male clown sleeps inside the frogspawn- wedges itself inside the branches.

Don't worry you have no competition! At least until I get rid of all the damn racks :blush:

your SPS wins the day any time

3 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Oh ok...the one was by the monticap in the FTS so I wondered if maybe they hung out in that area.  Mine hang out in an open brain coral LPS.  I guess they like LPS :).

2 hours ago, markalot said:

Did I miss the picture of the Katropora growing?

Things look good!  Anything for PO4 control other than not feeding very much?

I didn't post a photo because it's color looks like garbage but it has a ton of growth tips coming out of the base and main stem. 

Nothing for PO4 control, but I don't have anything to test. My skimmer has been offline for a week since I need to clean it and my filter socks are overflowing- but tank still looks really clean. Colors are a little light while I am lowering the sunpower, but that's typical. Growth speeds up and then the color returns as the SPS gets used to it. No chemicals either which makes me happy- not even carbon. Just good ol mechanical filtration. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

I didn't post a photo because it's color looks like garbage but it has a ton of growth tips coming out of the base and main stem. 

Nothing for PO4 control, but I don't have anything to test. My skimmer has been offline for a week since I need to clean it and my filter socks are overflowing- but tank still looks really clean. Colors are a little light while I am lowering the sunpower, but that's typical. Growth speeds up and then the color returns as the SPS gets used to it. No chemicals either which makes me happy- not even carbon. Just good ol mechanical filtration. 

Yea, I like your no chemical approach and it seems like you have a good eye for how the SPS are doing.  Good to hear ti has growth anyway, that's a big first step.

So my filter socks have been overflowing for a week now and my skimmer offline since it's all clogged up. Also the carbon reactor was taken out for cleaning a few weeks back and not replaced.

And I can't tell any noticeable difference in the tank ?. Very stable system... it's been great. Haven't tested for anything but salinity in about 8 months now, I just do 20% water changes every two weeks and it's keeping things simple and happy! 

From time to time I think I was blessed with super bacteria on my first rock I put into my 28g cube and that's in this tank today. There are occasional issues that I tend to cause by overcomplicating something or trying something new, but overall it's able to get back on track as soon as I go hands off. 

In other news, I am 100% aptasia free. Took out the rock that had like 12 and drilled/hammered all the aptasia out, and covered two babies in epoxy. That was a month ago and no more are visible! :) 

Tomorrow I am sending Braaap a big goodie box of corals so it will be nice to free up some space. Acros are fighting again, this time it's the yellow tort v. green slimer. They both are the fastest growing acros, but the slimer beats tort every time. 

• Like 5
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350