Top Shelf Aquatics

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

30 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Good luck Harold dont drop them in the tank ☺

Ill try :unsure:.

I took out my camera to take "before" photos, but it seems any SD card that I have used with my printer is unusable with my camera now. Even after erasing everything in it, there remains a .gcode file.  Im trying to do an overwrite reformat to get them usable again :angry:

Edit: I give up. It wont leave no matter what. Camera can't read it, and the .gcode file comes back even after a heavy format. Time to order a SD.. 

nsSasVy.png

3 minutes ago, markalot said:

You are going to fry your corals, be careful.  :)

The bulbs are all over a year old, takes some par off! 

I need to start a "Get Harold New Bulbs" fund :unsure:

That will be delivering 550 to 600 PAR up high and 300+ or so on the sandbed.  Not kidding.  Sweet spot is 250 to 450.  Can you borrow a PAR meter?  My 6 bulb, not the hybrid but the 6 bulb could get 300 easily on the sandbed in my deep tank.  Corals near the center and middle of the tank are most at risk since this is the brightest area.  Properly run ATI bulbs lose only about 15% PAR over a year based on the latest BRS testing.  

The light is awesome, just respect how awesome it is.  Acros need stability for color, not the brightest light.  Lighting change will set them back a bit, especially if PAR increases dramatically.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, markalot said:

That will be delivering 550 to 600 PAR up high and 300+ or so on the sandbed.  Not kidding.  Sweet spot is 250 to 450.  Can you borrow a PAR meter?  My 6 bulb, not the hybrid but the 6 bulb could get 300 easily on the sandbed in my deep tank.  Corals near the center and middle of the tank are most at risk since this is the brightest area.  Properly run ATI bulbs lose only about 15% PAR over a year based on the latest BRS testing.  

The light is awesome, just respect how awesome it is.  Acros need stability for color, not the brightest light.  Lighting change will set them back a bit, especially if PAR increases dramatically.

Ill raise it some more. So far I love the even fewer shadows, the fixture is the full width of my tank. 

I don't know where I would borrow a par meter. I intend to get three blue plus bulbs, so it will have three new blue bulbs, one old blue bulb, three old coral plus bulbs, and one old purple bulb. 

• Like 1
jedimasterben

moar light is always moar better.... until it isn't.

You'll likely have one of two things happen with the new light - coral growth will probably dip for a short time while they adjust and then will pick up higher than before, increasing their requirements for flow, food, and cal/alk/mag, so make sure to start testing every few days and adjust accordingly. Increase flow if you can.

The other thing that can happen is growth and consumption can stay the same or slow, in which case you've surpassed the saturation points of the majority of your corals and you'll need to increase food or flow to try and get growth to increase or will need to reduce total overall light by shortening your photoperiod or raise the fixture a few inches.

• Like 5
12 hours ago, jedimasterben said:

moar light is always moar better.... until it isn't.

You'll likely have one of two things happen with the new light - coral growth will probably dip for a short time while they adjust and then will pick up higher than before, increasing their requirements for flow, food, and cal/alk/mag, so make sure to start testing every few days and adjust accordingly. Increase flow if you can.

The other thing that can happen is growth and consumption can stay the same or slow, in which case you've surpassed the saturation points of the majority of your corals and you'll need to increase food or flow to try and get growth to increase or will need to reduce total overall light by shortening your photoperiod or raise the fixture a few inches.

Yeah, I will be careful not to burn them. What I really wanted out of this was more blue/actinic light, to pull out the colors that I see in photos online. My bulb combination before was three coral plus, two blue plus, one purple plus. I had that since it provided a very “white” look to the eye, and I don’t like the artificial blue tanks. 

Now I plan on going to three coral plus, 4 blue plus, one actinic. 

I raised the the light from 4” to 12” above the tank, which should minimize the increase in par for now. I’ll get them used to the spectrum and then carefully lower the fixture as I see fit.  

More flow would be nice, but my reefing budget for February and March is used up with the 3 bulbs I ordered ?. I would probably get a Jebao PP8. 

Ill definitly keep an eye on consumption! 

jedimasterben
33 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Yeah, I will be careful not to burn them. What I really wanted out of this was more blue/actinic light, to pull out the colors that I see in photos online. My bulb combination before was three coral plus, two blue plus, one purple plus. I had that since it provided a very “white” look to the eye, and I don’t like the artificial blue tanks. 

Now I plan on going to three coral plus, 4 blue plus, one actinic. 

I raised the the light from 4” to 12” above the tank, which should minimize the increase in par for now. I’ll get them used to the spectrum and then carefully lower the fixture as I see fit.  

More flow would be nice, but my reefing budget for February and March is used up with the 3 bulbs I ordered ?. I would probably get a Jebao PP8. 

Ill definitly keep an eye on consumption! 

I would have just swapped out a purple lamp for blue on your old fixture and saw where that got you. Now you have two more lamps to replace :P

• Like 1

Looks great Harry. I would like others said keep an eye on the corals. In all honesty just feed more to start. Your tank is large and mature enough. 

-D

34 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

I would have just swapped out a purple lamp for blue on your old fixture and saw where that got you. Now you have two more lamps to replace :P

Bro - You still reef :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, jedimasterben said:

But now I GOT THE POWAAAAAA

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveFason said:

Looks great Harry. I would like others said keep an eye on the corals. In all honesty just feed more to start. Your tank is large and mature enough. 

-D

Bro - You still reef :P

In all honesty, I need some nanobox LEDs to stick in there and keep 6 bulbs going! The blue strips or full pucks ?

Ive already started to feed more, and am also adding an additional carbon source for them. 

• Like 2

Craziest PE in a while. I wonder if it’s the new light. Probably not, I would think it’s too soon to get results? 

I started dosing Vodka a week ago, the diatoms are gone and I’m getting nice black skimmate. 1ml daily.

• Like 2

Might be starving, first sign is crazy PE.  Vodka dosing will clear the water, and with the new light ... you know the routine.  I'm going to warn you about too many changes and hope it all works out anyway.  :)  Nothing is set in stone in this hobby.

KH testing should be done daily for a while, this is where I crashed my tank.  Acros pause when changes are made, KH rises, bad things happen.  With Vodka dosing nutrients will be very low so tip burn would probably show up first.  

Mr. Gloom and Doom! :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
7 hours ago, markalot said:

Might be starving, first sign is crazy PE.  Vodka dosing will clear the water, and with the new light ... you know the routine.  I'm going to warn you about too many changes and hope it all works out anyway.  :)  Nothing is set in stone in this hobby.

KH testing should be done daily for a while, this is where I crashed my tank.  Acros pause when changes are made, KH rises, bad things happen.  With Vodka dosing nutrients will be very low so tip burn would probably show up first.  

Mr. Gloom and Doom! :D

I like Gloom and Doom! Keeps me on my toes! Nutrients have always been undetectable using ULR checkers and Nyos kits. I’m feeding more than ever, it would surprise me if they were starving. 

Fine, I’ll order a KH kit ?

• Like 3

Put in the second filter media cup. Freaking love it. Just toss the brown floss every two weeks and put in another piece! 

Aggressively stirred  up the sand bed, using a powerhead to get under the rocks. From the haze you can tell I found a few nice dirty pockets of free coral food! 

The color spectrum is soooo purrpleee. The blue bulbs will arrive soon from MD :)  

Y0LXY9P.jpg

• Like 5
On 2/21/2018 at 6:25 AM, HarryPotter said:

I like Gloom and Doom! Keeps me on my toes! Nutrients have always been undetectable using ULR checkers and Nyos kits. I’m feeding more than ever, it would surprise me if they were starving. 

Fine, I’ll order a KH kit ?

If nutrients have been undetectable, what is the vodka dosing for? I always thought carbon dosing was to lower nutrients. Things look great!! And nice on the light! 

23 minutes ago, West1 said:

WOW, great shot!

Thanks! Its not my good camera, but its easy to do! Using a DSLR, it would take me like 10 minutes to post a photo. Using my phone, I take the photo in the Imgur app and just link it here- 20 seconds. Because quantity, not quality! :D

3 minutes ago, ReefWeeds said:

If nutrients have been undetectable, what is the vodka dosing for? I always thought carbon dosing was to lower nutrients. Things look great!! And nice on the light! 

My impression of vodka dosing was that it functions as a carbon source for bacteria and corals, which stimulates a more healthy reef. I am trying to feed more, a cube every morning. Before that I would do a cube once a week and just reef roids in between. 

• HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350