Innovative Marine Aquariums

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

On 9/30/2017 at 8:47 AM, DaveFason said:

Its alive! Things are looking good even with the hurricane madness. 

-Dave

17 hours ago, 1.0reef said:

Such a nice scape, the Percs are perfect as well.

Thanks! Yeah @DaveFason I had a little generator running the tank minus the lighting for two weeks when the power was out. The refugium with your light went nuts in that period- its completely full of this red thick algae

Still bummed at the 2 colonies I lost, but color is coming back now that its stable Alk wise. Just need a damn doser. 

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Hey Harold,

How did you like the Jebao CP pump you used to have ? 

The cross flow pump? Meh. Not so good. Didn't like the flow pattern. 

Really ?! How do you think it would fare in a smaller tank ? I almost feel like its not even worth it when you can get a used Gyre for $50-$60 more. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, CronicReefer said:

Fabulous looking tank Harry, I'm glad your tank survived the hurricane like mine. Hopefully my 75 will be looking like yours by next year :).

Thanks! I bet it’ll look better! 

Sorry I haven’t been posting here much!  I’ll try to get an updated good FTS and some pictures going. 

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Thanks! I bet it’ll look better! 

Sorry I haven’t been posting here much!  I’ll try to get an updated good FTS and some pictures going. 

stop slacking and post some pics.  I'm tired of all the pico reef mania that's been going on - need to see some big tanks.  

• Like 2
On 10/24/2017 at 12:50 PM, micoastreefing said:

stop slacking and post some pics.  I'm tired of all the pico reef mania that's been going on - need to see some big tanks.  

Heres a corrected iphone photo. I just haven't been on top of the tank.... Have patches of algae and color is dull. No growth tips either.  I just am not happy with it recently and don't know why stuff isn't doing better. Guess two week blackout during hurricane wasn't great. 

Lost that colony on the bottom left after it was stung by the frogspawn and RTN'd. 

NfFRg3i.jpg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

Heres a corrected iphone photo. I just haven't been on top of the tank.... Have patches of algae and color is dull. No growth tips either.  I just am not happy with it recently and don't know why stuff isn't doing better. Guess two week blackout during hurricane wasn't great. 

Lost that colony on the bottom left after it was stung by the frogspawn and RTN'd. 

NfFRg3i.jpg

all in all it looks pretty darn good for having lights out for 2 weeks.  maybe it is time to try to build some buffer zone around that giant frogspawn, or just isolate it on its own? That thing is huge. 

You really need to work that round tabling acro into your scape, it looks awesome, jumps right out at me. (on the back of the frag rack on the right side wall) 

geez, how many frag racks do you need :P?  you have more "frags" than most ppl have in their display, HAHA. 

16 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

all in all it looks pretty darn good for having lights out for 2 weeks.  maybe it is time to try to build some buffer zone around that giant frogspawn, or just isolate it on its own? That thing is huge. 

You really need to work that round tabling acro into your scape, it looks awesome, jumps right out at me. (on the back of the frag rack on the right side wall) 

geez, how many frag racks do you need :P?  you have more "frags" than most ppl have in their display, HAHA. 

:) 

The frogspawn is killing everything! Lost a full acro colony to RTN (Bottom left of that photo, just threw it out) and its killing everything else. I may give it to the University of Miami aquarium club.. Not sure. Or move the acro rock, I think I can break that epoxy pretty easy. 

I love frag racks because if I don't use them, I put frags on the sand, and they RTN. Time after time I find acropora frags that I bought and put onto the sand bed to acclimate and they get buried and die. 

HUGEEEE MAINTENANCEEE 

All frag racks have been vinegar'd, powerheads vinegar'd, acans and zoas on plugs got H2O2 to get off the hair algae, glass razored, sand mixed, filters changed, etc. Lets get this tank happy again! 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, markalot said:

Looks great Harry.  :)  Nice anemone collection!  LOL :D

How to I get rid of the damn algae? Can I peroxide it? Help help help help ?

Vinegar on the left container and 30% 3% H2O2 in the right container. Let’s get this tank going again! If H2O2 is successful on the experiment rock at removing geladium I will remove the large anemone rock and spray H2O2 at it. Then rinse it off in salt water and put it back.

C0ISaR0.jpg

On 10/27/2017 at 12:54 PM, markalot said:

I've used peroxide before, it usually knocks it back pretty well but can harm corals it touches.  Try painting it on with a brush perhaps?

The rock is just anemones, for better or for worse. 

So so I gave the aquarium club a LOT of cotals. Two fist sized candy cane colonies, four 10 head candy canes frags, rose bubble tip, a few large chunks of Montipora (5”x5”), my entire Duncan colony that was palm sized, a 5” branch/colony of yellow tort, and chunky frags of everything else. I wanted to get stuff off the sand bed, and the club is a great place for them to go. A bunch of Marine Biology majors- they test daily :o  (NERDS! ?) 

It was fun as most of them had not fragged before and I was totally hands off. I gave them the materials (cutters, glue, epoxy, plugs, etc) and was like “Frag away!” They loved the epoxy sandwhich for mounting acros to plugs. They ended up leaving with easily $250 of corals! It’s a great cause as it inspires all their pre-marine bio majors :) 

I suggested to the president (who came over) that they should agressivly seek sponsorship- the majority of companies would be interested in sending a few hundreds of dollars of equipment to them- cheap effective publicity. They’ve never even considered it! 

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow some nice black friday pre-deals! Ordered a $50 bucket of RSCP from @BulkReefSupply , and a Tunze Osmulator full for my dad's cichlid tank. That meant just over $150, so I got a free Somatic Reactor that I will turn into a chaeto reactor. 

Then, I ordered a Triton test, as they are on sale for $34 and I had over 1000 rewards points from the prior purchase, so it came out to $22!

Ive always wanted a triton test because I just test Ca and Alk. I wonder what elements will be missing and/or be in excess after a month of no water changes!

• Like 2
6 hours ago, HIppieRose said:

I had the same problem with sand so now have a thin layer of crushed coral. Must easier to clean.

I love sand though! Looks the most natural to me, even if it doesn’t really represent most reefs. I have like 100 pounds in here, so I don’t mind losing a bit each water change. Now all the super fine powder is gone, so I can mix up my sand using a powerhead before a water change and almost everything will settle in a minute. 

• Like 2
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350