Pod Your Reef

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

8 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

looks great! Alk has been stable?

6 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I'd say it's recovering nicely :happydance:

2 hours ago, RollaJase said:

Looks like it's bouncing back pretty well Harry.

Alk stable, but I've become pretty discouraged after having to toss two large colonies and like 5 frags. When things aren't doing well it makes the tank more of a stressor than something I can enjoy and admire. Corals are definitely bouncing back though, seeing a massive growth spurt now that things are back in line.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

whatever happened with your Monti shipping experiment?  Did it go well?

Worked fine with 2 day shipping in 80-80 weather. 

Current tank picture (Adjusted warmth to get out some blues since I was too lazy for DSLR) 

7HJFe1u.jpg

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2017 at 8:03 AM, HarryPotter said:

Update: Looks like it's back on track. Alk stabilizing around 7.6 with 60ml daily. 

I lost 2 frags (of larger colonies), 20% of two colonies which were trimmed and are recovering and 50% of another. The one with 50% was that yellow one that is also being stung by LPS. The recession stopped but I haven't trimmed it- I'm seeing what will happen. 

I also used chemiclean to clean up the cyano from the nutrient imbalance, love that stuff. 

jGOhmMO.jpg

I love the sombrero and dingle balls :lol:

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2017 at 3:31 PM, micoastreefing said:

Harry, you and your tank got through the hurricane OK?

Not great man- I had a small generator but my apex fried so I just have the return pump on and I try to turn on the lights for a few hours a day. I don't have the $ for a new apex and am trying to contact neptune with no luck. So no dosing, no real light schedule, no heater, nothing. My netgear router thing also wont turn on so I presume that is broken. The Vortech quietdrive is crazy loud since the hurricane and has to be turned off at night. Something wrong with that too. Ecotech says I can send it in, but if I do I wont have any flow in my tank. 

So pretty bummed with the tank right now. Seems like post-hurricane it is demanding I put a grand into it with the apex, doser, and a temp pump while I get the MP40 repaired, which I can't do. I was considering bringing in some corals to the store, try to sell them there, in the meantime. Not great stuff. 

• Sad 2
9 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Not great man- I had a small generator but my apex fried so I just have the return pump on and I try to turn on the lights for a few hours a day. I don't have the $ for a new apex and am trying to contact neptune with no luck. So no dosing, no real light schedule, no heater, nothing. My netgear router thing also wont turn on so I presume that is broken. The Vortech quietdrive is crazy loud since the hurricane and has to be turned off at night. Something wrong with that too. Ecotech says I can send it in, but if I do I wont have any flow in my tank. 

So pretty bummed with the tank right now. Seems like post-hurricane it is demanding I put a grand into it with the apex, doser, and a temp pump while I get the MP40 repaired, which I can't do. I was considering bringing in some corals to the store, try to sell them there, in the meantime. Not great stuff. 

:( Sorry to hear this. Wish I were more experienced and in a position to help you out while you get things back on track. Good luck.

9 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Crappy!! Was there a power surge? How did everything get broken? :(

Is it the dry side of the vortech? Maybe swap in something cheap while it is fixed?

Yes it’s the dry side. Motor seems off balance. Crazy vibration. 

8 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

damn, so sorry to hear this

Thanks... yeah it sucks the big one. Neptune support sucks too. 

sorry Harry,  :(

Maybe the LFS will loan you some of their extra powerheads in exchange for frags/trade-in's, I'm sure they've got extra used ones laying around. 

Sounds like you're doing most things APEX was doing manually for now?  Be careful with the manual lighting and dosings:  less light (fewer hour/day) >> less growth >> less Ca and Alk consumed.  Depending on how long you have to go manually (the corals aren't gonna stop growing suddenly), but just keep that in mind.

22 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Sorry to hear man. I am still digging around old stuff. Do you need a controller just to turn on/off certain equipment? Do you have real power now?

Yesterday evening my phone started to get Apex spam- it connected to the internet. Not sure what happened given it was factory reset, but I was able to log in and program some basic things. So right now all that is down is dosing. I am looking for an Apex DOS for around $200 shipped, in the meantime I can try to do it manually in one dose daily (40ml Ca & 40ml Alk). 

nV9cNFo.png

4 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Well that's good news!! I hope you can find a doser option soon. 

No idea how it happened. The Apex was factory reset and had no data, I updated it, but then could not get the key to log in. But after a day of being connected to the router I started getting spammed with OLD temperature alarms- I logged into Apex Fusion and it had connection. Weird. So now outlets are all programmed with lights on timers, power outage instructions, temperature/ATO empty/ water on floor alarms. 

• HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350