Top Shelf Aquatics

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

HarryPotter
8 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Hmm yeah, that would be nice. ?

I can get signatures to display on mobile, but I don't think I'd want to do it without new restrictions, like text links only. Otherwise there's too much visual noise that repeats, and also extends page scrolling by a big factor. Some signatures have youtube videos embedded in them!

One effort I'd like to tackle is a 'Help' section for the site to show how to use some of the more advanced features. Things like sharing photos, customizing profile pages, using the activity stream, creating your own activity stream, adding photos to the gallery, submitting an article to the library, etc. 

Maybe there's something we can do to reach out to our lurkers out there too, to say hi ?

It doesn't necessarily have to be a signature, perhaps it could be one of the top things when you "click' a name on mobile. On the profile page, I mean. 

re: lurkers: Can you give them popups or another way to encourage them to participate? Even a baseless awards system; get a trophy for participating on 10 different threads, trophy for being quoted 5 times, for the amount of 'likes" they get, etc? To get more photo storage, participate in 5 different sections? just throwing out ideas. 

9 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Wait, you're in class? Shouldn't you be doing class stuff then? We are enablers here :o

Yes, yes I should. And yes, yes you are. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

One effort I'd like to tackle is a 'Help' section for the site to show how to use some of the more advanced features. Things like sharing photos, customizing profile pages, using the activity stream, creating your own activity stream, adding photos to the gallery, submitting an article to the library, etc. 

Maybe there's something we can do to reach out to our lurkers out there too, to say hi ?

Wow. I didn't know we could do all of that!

53 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Lots of good discussion, I'm certainly taking it to heart. Honestly I've been wondering if reactions are a bad thing as well, it's too easy to acknowledge having read something and then just move on without comment. I'm guilty of doing it with my limited time. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in that. The big question is, what should we do about it?

Some of these shifts may also coincide with the general move to smartphones for internet use, well over half of our site visits are on mobile screens now. While the site is nearly full featured on mobile screens, the interface has to be pared down, less information can be shown, signatures are hidden, for example. Is it more difficult to have an in depth discussion on a mobile device? How many of you browse on a desktop and type with a keyboard these days?

I've been working really hard to optimize the site in every way possible over the past year and make it easier for everyone to use and participate. Sharing content is easier than ever with our editor, content from virtually anywhere will auto-embed with a simple link (Instagram, Youtube, Vimeo, Facebook, Flickr, and image link). Photos can be uploaded directly to the site right from mobile phones and tablets. Signing up and logging in only takes a click with Facebook and Twitter login options.

@HarryPotter, you should upload your photos directly here and save yourself some steps. Have you hit your storage limit already? What if there was no limit anymore?

In the middle of hospital inspections but will address this later today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
TitusNuvo20

I know I'm guilty of often just liking something. I'm pretty new to this site and don't think I'd have anything good to offer you pros. But I'll try to comment more haha

• Like 3
5 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

Makes perfect sense. 

I see new people on the site but have no clue who they are or if they have a thread mostly because they don't socialize with anyone. They pop in , click like and leave . Then when I stumble across their thread I see " :huh: is anyone reading this?"  But 600 likes :lol: . Also their signature is blank. That used to be a badge of honor around here , the more elaborate the better, to help direct traffic. Look at @metrokat for example, her little icons are great and she put a ton of effort into them.  Needs to come back in my opinion. 

I have a genuine excuse! This is a true story and @Mariaface can corroborate. I do not get notifications unless I have posted in a particular thread. If I am tagged, the only time I see it is if I am on the site. Maria has tried to fix it for me but it is useless. 

Regarding being AWOL - there were many events in my life, good and bad that took my energy and emotions. Whatever time I did have I spent working or just absorbing the positive vibes from friends and family. I guess I was healing, much like a coral that has been fragged too often. And then with time you sort of build your days differently and less around what you used to do before. I was on NR 24/7 and now I am on FB and IG 24/7. It's just how it came about. 

I will be starting a new tank new thread in a few weeks. I anticipate a whole lotta posts. :)

• Like 8
1 minute ago, metrokat said:

I have a genuine excuse! This is a true story and @Mariaface can corroborate. I do not get notifications unless I have posted in a particular thread. If I am tagged, the only time I see it is if I am on the site. Maria has tried to fix it for me but it is useless. 

Regarding being AWOL - there were many events in my life, good and bad that took my energy and emotions. Whatever time I did have I spent working or just absorbing the positive vibes from friends and family. I guess I was healing, much like a coral that has been fragged too often. And then with time you sort of build your days differently and less around what you used to do before. I was on NR 24/7 and now I am on FB and IG 24/7. It's just how it came about. 

I will be starting a new tank new thread in a few weeks. I anticipate a whole lotta posts. :)

we will come in and like ALL THE POSTS  :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
Christopher Marks

Hi @metrokat :flower:  Can't wait to hear about the new tank!

I'm going to start working on some site how-to guides to show off all the great features here. A lot changed behind the scenes with the site upgrade last year, I'm a little too close to it all so it's easy to forget not all of the new features are immediately apparent.

Hopefully by next month I can roll out the new site update with a few key features. One is a big overhaul to the site search, which also consequently speeds up profile pages a great deal. The gallery is getting a big overhaul as well, and I may roll out an albums feature, where you can create custom gallery albums for your individual tanks that you can continue to add photos to over time, creating nice collections. We can pump some life into the gallery!

• Like 7

Spamming some likes in here... ;)

Shit... didn't know I was being investigated so much... going to have to stop trying to give new people advice... :ninja: I don't have much in the way of fancy tanks :o

I've been slowly using the new features and I love them... so much easier to link photos, ect. Sometimes I just use my phone because its easier to share photos that way.... directly upload them from the phone instead up uploading to flikr and then linking on my PC.

Typing is easier on the computer though.. for me... my smartphone isn't very big... 

I think most people talk to themselves in threads at times... I just think of it as a tank diary but my activity waxes and wanes cuz life...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, metrokat said:

Corroborating! It's freaky, the settings are being difficult!

I don't have an excuse for being AWOL, but I'm also not famous :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

I should also say, I'm always open to feedback from everyone, if there's something bothering you or not working well. Don't only just @ tag me though, it's hard to keep up with notifications pulling me in all directions all the time :) 

Maybe making unlimited photo uploads a "premium" member. 

I do like the "like" feature. But definitely feel that responses and comments are way down. 

As far as keyboard warriors vs mobile? I actually do both. 

Um, there's something else I wanted to say, but can't remember. Oh, right. @HarryPotter sorry for train wrecking your thread.  

• Like 3

Hope all is well. Sending happy positive vibes your way. Looking forward to seeing a new tank from you.:flower:

• Like 1
HarryPotter
49 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Spamming some likes in here... ;)

Shit... didn't know I was being investigated so much... going to have to stop trying to give new people advice... :ninja: I don't have much in the way of fancy tanks :o

I've been slowly using the new features and I love them... so much easier to link photos, ect. Sometimes I just use my phone because its easier to share photos that way.... directly upload them from the phone instead up uploading to flikr and then linking on my PC.

Typing is easier on the computer though.. for me... my smartphone isn't very big... 

I think most people talk to themselves in threads at times... I just think of it as a tank diary but my activity waxes and wanes cuz life...

I agree with ya, except I have a big old phone and can type well on mobile. 

2 hours ago, TitusNuvo20 said:

I know I'm guilty of often just liking something. I'm pretty new to this site and don't think I'd have anything good to offer you pros. But I'll try to comment more haha

There are no pros, everyone just is trying to prevent a crash one day at a time. 

New tank again?!?

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Hi @metrokat :flower:  Can't wait to hear about the new tank!

I'm going to start working on some site how-to guides to show off all the great features here. A lot changed behind the scenes with the site upgrade last year, I'm a little too close to it all so it's easy to forget not all of the new features are immediately apparent.

Hopefully by next month I can roll out the new site update with a few key features. One is a big overhaul to the site search, which also consequently speeds up profile pages a great deal. The gallery is getting a big overhaul as well, and I may roll out an albums feature, where you can create custom gallery albums for your individual tanks that you can continue to add photos to over time, creating nice collections. We can pump some life into the gallery!

It it is a nice sure for sure! 

Just now, Tamberav said:

Is there a limit on photos? I don't even know.

Not on imgur 

Christopher Marks
8 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Is there a limit on photos? I don't even know.

It's currently 2GB for Premium Members for site uploads. I hope to make it unlimited some day, I'd rather no one ever hit a limit, but costs have to be managed. Premium membership renewals have been offline since the update, but I finally have an automated solution coming soon.

@HarryPotter Try some of the post editor formatting buttons on your phone, I added more to the editor. You should be able to highlight and format text as well. What device do you use?

• Like 1
HarryPotter
10 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

It's currently 2GB for Premium Members for site uploads. I hope to make it unlimited some day, I'd rather no one ever hit a limit, but costs have to be managed. Premium membership renewals have been offline since the update, but I finally have an automated solution coming soon.

@HarryPotter Try some of the post editor formatting buttons on your phone, I added more to the editor. You should be able to highlight and format text as well. What device do you use?

OOO I like! Now I have bold/italic/underline! :D

IPhone X- here’s a screenie

• Thanks 1
HarryPotter
4 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I thought you were young and hip. Can't believe you didn't know about those features before. 

On mobile  I didn’t have them before

17 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

On mobile  I didn’t have them before

The rest of us did, you were just left out

#coolkidsonlyandnotharold

• Haha 3
HarryPotter
15 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

The rest of us did, you were just left out

#coolkidsonlyandnotharold

Lol maybe I just never noticed? But I was pretty sure there wasn’t bold on mobile ?

• HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350