inTank Media Baskets

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

HarryPotter
4 minutes ago, JBM said:

Agreed on so many levels. 

While  I love the fact that I have a bunch of people "liking" my pics and posts. I want meat, depth. Context. 

Oh, btw. Cool reef mang. Makes me miss my 150g. 

Exactly- like notifications make you think “at least someone is seeing it”, instead of actual engagement. 

I wonder if this could be helped by change(s) to the site; daily limits on reactions to posts? Would that increase replies or decrease total apparent activity? Tricky! 

• Like 1
HarryPotter
1 minute ago, Pjanssen said:

Sometimes I just don't know what to say, especially when I come across things that are way above my knowledge base (SPS). So all I can usually say is...oooohhhhh, purdy!

There is no “knowledge base” that distinguishes between tanks IMO. I test salinity, feed mysis, and blast light. Some corals die, some thrive. Some of the most knowledgeable reefers have ugly/barely surviving tanks, or vice versa 

Just now, Pjanssen said:

I'd rather get a "like" then no response at all.

I “liked” that to show my agreement, but then thought it was ironic and decided to also write this comment. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I must have not been around for an active livestock section.  Shipping is just so pricy; nobody wants to pay the $45 plus the cost of the corals. I sell frags locally for MAX $10 each- but in the classifieds with shipping it would end up as $65 for two- not a “great” deal. 

People would sell here for what you are doing local so really the shipping wasn't hard to accept. Its when people expect to get $100 for a booger sized frag and then $40-50 shipping on top that kills it. I would rather get 6-7 or maybe even 10 frags from you for $150 , than 1 frag that I wont even be able to see for 8 months . 

Im not saying I only expect to pay $10 max for any coral here, but that was commonly available for a bit (especially with softies) nice sps for $15-25 wasn't unheard of. Tons of zoas were available for good prices, etc. 

8 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I'd rather get a "like" then no response at all.

After a while though you start to lose interest in keeping the thread if you are talking to crickets.

• Like 1
HarryPotter
5 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

After a while though you start to lose interest in keeping the thread if you are talking to crickets.

If there are no responses to distract you, you begin to contemplate how many hundreds of hours you have spent on this site ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, HarryPotter said:

If there are no responses to distract you, you begin to contemplate how many hundreds of hours you have spent on this site ?

And thats just on Tuesday 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
7 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

People would sell here for what you are doing local so really the shipping wasn't hard to accept. Its when people expect to get $100 for a booger sized frag and then $40-50 shipping on top that kills it. I would rather get 6-7 or maybe even 10 frags from you for $150 , than 1 frag that I wont even be able to see for 8 months . 

Im not saying I only expect to pay $10 max for any coral here, but that was commonly available for a bit (especially with softies) nice sps for $15-25 wasn't unheard of. Tons of zoas were available for good prices, etc. 

I hear you you loud and clear.  I have actually been trying to give away paly frags for about 2 weeks now. Before that, free Chaeto. 

Le sigh

7 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Some of the most knowledgeable reefers have ugly/barely surviving tanks, or vice versa 

Statement of the century. I don't proclaim to be a expert. I label myself as a middle of the road reefer. I've been around the block. Saw the rise and fall of 100 different trends. I remember when only wealthy show offs could afford a ATO system. 

Perfect example. I had a 150g. That for the life of me, couldn't keep mushrooms alive. Grew GHA like it was my business. 

On the other hand. Ive now had 2 going onto 3 very successful nano/pico reefs. Have I changed my husbandry? Not really. Do I know some mysterious secret? Not really. Do I have fancy equipment? Not really. But here I am killing it with my teeny tiny 5g, a Chinese par 38, pet smart heater and a hob filter. 

• Like 5
9 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

I must have not been around for an active livestock section.  Shipping is just so pricy; nobody wants to pay the $45 plus the cost of the corals. I sell frags locally for MAX $10 each- but in the classifieds with shipping it would end up as $65 for two- not a “great” deal. 

If i had SPS I'd come down and buy $10 frags from you Harry! It's so sad, I don't know any local reefers. There must be some around or the LFSs wouldn't survive.

tanacharison

I felt like I was committing a crime hitting the like button in the last two pages :lol:

But seriously keep the updates coming! I need the continued motivation to kill off acros in my tank and dream of reef tank forests.

• Like 1

See that join date over here.......  

<------------

I can tell you, the like button must have cut out 75% of comments in a build thread.

A like doesn't warrant a response, but if someone posts "Hey I like your tank" that would warrant a response, and possibly the  OP going over to the liker's build thread so that the OP could comment on the liker's tank.

Did that make sense? :lol:

8 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

Instead of just saying clickbait in the title, should just say 'AND YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT' :lol:

The suspense is killing me !!!

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

I felt like I was committing a crime hitting the like button in the last two pages :lol:

But seriously keep the updates coming! I need the continued motivation to kill off acros in my tank and dream of reef tank forests.

:lol:

You did post a comment so maybe my rant worked ... once anyway 

tanacharison
1 minute ago, jbb_00 said:

I still want to run down the last 118 pages and like everything. fingerscrossed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, Travis said:

<------------

I can tell you, the like button must have cut out 75% of comments in a build thread.

A like doesn't warrant a response, but if someone posts "Hey I like your tank" that would warrant a response, and possibly the  OP going over to the liker's build thread so that the OP could comment on the liker's tank.

Makes perfect sense. 

I see new people on the site but have no clue who they are or if they have a thread mostly because they don't socialize with anyone. They pop in , click like and leave . Then when I stumble across their thread I see " :huh: is anyone reading this?"  But 600 likes :lol: . Also their signature is blank. That used to be a badge of honor around here , the more elaborate the better, to help direct traffic. Look at @metrokat for example, her little icons are great and she put a ton of effort into them.  Needs to come back in my opinion. 

• Like 1
HarryPotter
2 hours ago, JBM said:

I hear you you loud and clear.  I have actually been trying to give away paly frags for about 2 weeks now. Before that, free Chaeto. 

Le sigh

Statement of the century. I don't proclaim to be a expert. I label myself as a middle of the road reefer. I've been around the block. Saw the rise and fall of 100 different trends. I remember when only wealthy show offs could afford a ATO system. 

Perfect example. I had a 150g. That for the life of me, couldn't keep mushrooms alive. Grew GHA like it was my business. 

On the other hand. Ive now had 2 going onto 3 very successful nano/pico reefs. Have I changed my husbandry? Not really. Do I know some mysterious secret? Not really. Do I have fancy equipment? Not really. But here I am killing it with my teeny tiny 5g, a Chinese par 38, pet smart heater and a hob filter. 

Yeppers. I’ve watched the most “advanced” (subjective) reefers I know have tank crashes, which in retrospect seem always preventable. Whether from tank moves, dinos, dosers failing, power outages, etc. 

I have never claimed to know why my tanks seem to thrive. I started in this hobby by buying a nanocube off Craigslist, as well as clownfish, a BTA, dry sand, and live rock. All added in one day- a week later I probably had 5 more corals. The tank went shockingly well. If it crashed I would have probably left the hobby. 

I transferred from my 45 to this reefer pretty much all at once, with all the SPS. The reefer ran a few days with dry sand and dry rock, and then I moved everything over. No issue at all. My most discouraging moment was when I lost those clams after I tried running carbon... it was awful watching them gape and struggle. 

Still to this day, I muck up the sand and do a 20-25% water change monthly. Salinity gets checked then. Feeding is based off of algae on the glass; if there’s none, I’ll increase feeding, if there’s too much, I’ll stop feeding till it goes away. If corals look pale, I’ll raise the light. If they look dark, I’ll lower it. Virtually no testing unless I think there is a problem. 

I’ve joked that the tank has super bacteria that keeps it healthy- that’s what it seems like to me as I watch others testing daily and have complicated filter media. 

48 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

If i had SPS I'd come down and buy $10 frags from you Harry! It's so sad, I don't know any local reefers. There must be some around or the LFSs wouldn't survive.

If you ever want to try, $100 will get you 5 SPS frags shipped to your door. Maybe three types of montipora and two acros?Mainly covers shipping, heat pack, insulated box, etc. You’ve been here a while!

29 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

Lol ? 

24 minutes ago, Travis said:

<------------

I agree regarding likes. They are like acknowledgment that at least someone saw what you posted. But not much more than that. Definitely has reduced participation! When people comment, I will typically look at their signature to see wht they are doing in their own tanks  

18 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

Instead of just saying clickbait in the title, should just say 'AND YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT' :lol:

Or “**I WON THE LOTTERY** 

Or **BLOOD EVERYWHERE**

10 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

The suspense is killing me !!!

**GUESS WHAT MILLENIALS ARE DITCHING NEXT**

8 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Rants FTW

4 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

I still want to run down the last 118 pages and like everything. fingerscrossed

? ?

2 minutes ago, Travis said:

serial liker...

Almost as bad as a serial emojier 

2 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Makes perfect sense. 

I see new people on the site but have no clue who they are or if they have a thread mostly because they don't socialize with anyone. They pop in , click like and leave . Then when I stumble across their thread I see " :huh: is anyone reading this?"  But 600 likes :lol: . Also their signature is blank. That used to be a badge of honor around here , the more elaborate the better, to help direct traffic. Look at @metrokat for example, her little icons are great and she put a ton of effort into them.  Needs to come back in my opinion. 

Yes- they post something in their thread and participate nowhere else. It’s odd to me as well. @ReefWeeds and  @metrokat think they’re too cool for nano-reef these days ?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Makes perfect sense. 

I almost smashed the like button, but instead, I just say that I like what you posted there. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350