inTank Media Baskets

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

Well, be careful.  I think it was JBNY over on RC talking about tanks going into year 2 and how it seems nothing can go wrong. 

What I was trying to say above is it seems like you do have a good eye for SPS, I'm not sure I do and rely more on testing than I should.  Kind of like a gardener who seems to have a green thumb and can do no wrong. :)

• Like 3

Yep.

I also like to make fun of our tendency to think everything is fine because it's fine.  Everything is always fine, right up until it isn't.  With acros it's much worse because they tend to look fine well past an incident that killed them, and then die in spectacular fashion, leading the reefer to believe it's something they recently changed, leading to more changes, leading to more spectacular deaths.

Been there, done that.  I'm a serial killer.  

• Like 6

Colony I grew from a 1" frag! I sent an identical colony to Braaap which arrived this morning. It's a really nice millipora that has a variety of colors olin it's growth, and grows super quickly. Yes it's fully encrusted onto the rack ?

F427B291-84C0-478E-8BBC-DDCDF91F7DBF_zps

• Like 17
On 2/21/2017 at 11:42 PM, markalot said:

Well, be careful.  I think it was JBNY over on RC talking about tanks going into year 2 and how it seems nothing can go wrong. 

What I was trying to say above is it seems like you do have a good eye for SPS, I'm not sure I do and rely more on testing than I should.  Kind of like a gardener who seems to have a green thumb and can do no wrong. :)

On 2/22/2017 at 8:09 AM, jedimasterben said:

Don't get complacent - LARS is a real thing and leads to dead tanks. :P

On 2/22/2017 at 9:49 AM, markalot said:

Yep.

I also like to make fun of our tendency to think everything is fine because it's fine.  Everything is always fine, right up until it isn't.  With acros it's much worse because they tend to look fine well past an incident that killed them, and then die in spectacular fashion, leading the reefer to believe it's something they recently changed, leading to more changes, leading to more spectacular deaths.

Been there, done that.  I'm a serial killer.  

True. Ill be careful. I do my maintenance of water changes and changing out filter socks, skimate, etc as well as sand siphoning. I just dont have complete test kits anymore, theyre all missing parts. 

• Like 2
jedimasterben
1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

True. Ill be careful. I do my maintenance of water changes and changing out filter socks, skimate, etc as well as sand siphoning. I just dont have complete test kits anymore, theyre all missing parts. 

I would get replacements for those sooner rather than later. I'm not saying you need to be testing daily or anything, but with as many SPS as your system has, it is a good idea to monitor all at least weekly to see if it is trending up or down.

17 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

I would get replacements for those sooner rather than later. I'm not saying you need to be testing daily or anything, but with as many SPS as your system has, it is a good idea to monitor all at least weekly to see if it is trending up or down.

I know you're right. It's just I haven't tested anything since before last semester besides salinity. Ive dosed the same amount for the last year, just refilling the containers and compensating for drift via water changes. I know it should be monitored carefully it's just hard to buy the kits and make myself do the tests on a regular basis. I'll save up for Alk/Ca/PO4 reagent 

• Like 1

Harry - I would love to get a frag of the Milli! Let me know if we could make this happen. I want to see the difference in T5 to LED in my system. 

Tank is looking wonderful!

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Harry - I would love to get a frag of the Milli! Let me know if we could make this happen. I want to see the difference in T5 to LED in my system. 

Tank is looking wonderful!

For sure, I just need to get an insulated box! I sent an identical colony to Braaap, who just purchased a badass retro from you so that will be pretty cool to see as well. 

• Like 2
On 2/24/2017 at 1:52 PM, HarryPotter said:

Getting an idea to make this colony grow in the right direction... Chop chop!

IMG_1932_zpss90yzyon.jpg

Chop chop and send my way :) you have some nice sps sir!!

• Like 1
HarryPotter

On an anemone note, my huge red bubble tip centerpiece split! It's making me nervous that one half will terrorize the tank ?. I'll keep an eye on it. 

Also, last night I saw a quintuple spawn of my rock flower anemones. I didn't adjust flow so I'm not expecting babies, but pretty neat! 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

On an anemone note, my huge red bubble tip centerpiece split! It's making me nervous that one half will terrorize the tank ?. I'll keep an eye on it. 

Also, last night I saw a quintuple spawn of my rock flower anemones. I didn't adjust flow so I'm not expecting babies, but pretty neat! 

With all the posts begging for frags, it seems many of us would like to have your tank problems (too much growth). :lol:  

Your SPS growth is making me seriously consider T5s again.  I've seen a few good looking SPS-tanks lit by LED (usually by a very expensive Radion), but more consistently by T5s.  

HarryPotter
5 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

With all the posts begging for frags, it seems many of us would like to have your tank problems (too much growth). :lol:  

Your SPS growth is making me seriously consider T5s again.  I've seen a few good looking SPS-tanks lit by LED (usually by a very expensive Radion), but more consistently by T5s.  

Making anemones split isn't that hard, just feed it daily for a month or so and then stop for a week. It stresses out and splits :D

Yeah, I love T5s. Never was truly happy with any of my LED fixtures ranging from AI 26 to Radion to NanoBox. My first T5 fixture and I was sold!

4 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

goood job Harry on TOTM!!  Great writeup!

Thanks :blush: Ive had no internet at my house for almost three days so it was quite a challenge to write anything! 

2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Congratulations! omgomgomg

Thanks!

• Like 2

CONGRATS!

Well deserved Harry, well deserved.    I'm still a little lost in this new format so I didn't notice when it went up.

• 2 weeks later...
HarryPotter

So I've managed to keep my hands out of the tank for four weeks sans picking up two corals that fell off the rack. I'm seeing a large growth spurt in the acros, as well as acan corals on their ceramic hammocks. I'll try to take photos today and update! 

I had some algae so quit feeding for a week and that seemed to work. The sand bed is nice and white and the fuzz on one of my rocks died off ??

• Like 5
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350