SaltCritters.com

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

So I was being lazy and shaking my reef roofs container above the tank instead of taking a pinch and about 1/2 cup went in. ****

Prepping for a water change... pretty concerned. I don't have a skimmer working right now either so it'll have to be removed with floss, but it's too small for floss.

Ahhhh. On my way to class but will do a 20% water change when I get back and prep for another. 

1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

So I was being lazy and shaking my reef roofs container above the tank instead of taking a pinch and about 1/2 cup went in. ****

Prepping for a water change... pretty concerned. I don't have a skimmer working right now either so it'll have to be removed with floss, but it's too small for floss.

Ahhhh. On my way to class but will do a 20% water change when I get back and prep for another. 

Did you scoop any out? 

HarryPotter
53 minutes ago, stellablue said:

Did you scoop any out? 

I couldn't, my pumps were on and that stuff spreads out instantly. Its too fine to net up like extra mysis :( 

My filter floss collects reef roids. At least it gets really dirty really quick after I feed. You should be OK with a couple water changes, but just in case, you could get one of these. I use it sometimes and it's really effective at filtering a lot of crap in a hurry.

https://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-Filter-Powerhead-Attachment-Powerheads/dp/B0002566L0/ref=pd_bxgy_199_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0002566L0&pd_rd_r=MS7PZN91ZV2KJVSQSF4F&pd_rd_w=2knAZ&pd_rd_wg=lUEgr&psc=1&refRID=MS7PZN91ZV2KJVSQSF4F

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002568C2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

I would not worry to much. If anything it may generate a small algae bloom but your tank is pretty healthy. 

Put a clean sock on the drain and then a boat load of floss. 

-D

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

I would not worry to much. If anything it may generate a small algae bloom but your tank is pretty healthy. 

-D

With the way corals grow in Harry's tank, they'll probably just double in size overnight. 

And morph into prettier colors.

#jealous

• Like 2
HarryPotter

Woke up to slime on the sand bed from the reef woods, although the corals look fine. I changed the floss again this morning and this afternoon will work on fixing the skimmer- it's been inoperational for a few months now. 

Heres a quick photo- pardon the corals all messed up and knocked over when I tried to get out some clumps of roids

AA8FC1EF-B90F-4B87-8541-0E4C17AB389A_zps

23 hours ago, teenyreef said:

My filter floss collects reef roids. At least it gets really dirty really quick after I feed. You should be OK with a couple water changes, but just in case, you could get one of these. I use it sometimes and it's really effective at filtering a lot of crap in a hurry.

https://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-Filter-Powerhead-Attachment-Powerheads/dp/B0002566L0/ref=pd_bxgy_199_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0002566L0&pd_rd_r=MS7PZN91ZV2KJVSQSF4F&pd_rd_w=2knAZ&pd_rd_wg=lUEgr&psc=1&refRID=MS7PZN91ZV2KJVSQSF4F

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002568C2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm filling for a water change and running poly floss for now. I looked at your link but I don't have anythint that the powerhead attachment would work on. 

23 hours ago, DaveFason said:

-D

Im doing exactly that, and already see the algae bloom. Stupid mistake 

• Like 1
HarryPotter
22 hours ago, teenyreef said:

With the way corals grow in Harry's tank, they'll probably just double in size overnight. 

#jealous

? They do like their roids, I'm worried they'll hop out of the tank and beat me up! 

16 hours ago, mpsti05 said:

Harry check your pm, I've got a fuge light I'll trade ya for some fragz

I have an old eshopps fuge light but only 1/3 of the LEDs work- replied.

• Like 2

Funny, I just did the same thing last night. Not as much as you but way more than normal. Today, slime but it should be gone shortly. I guess we figured out what happens! 

• Like 2
HarryPotter
1 hour ago, DaveFason said:

Funny, I just did the same thing last night. Not as much as you but way more than normal. Today, slime but it should be gone shortly. I guess we figured out what happens! 

Ayy, we're just two idiots in a pod! 

HarryPotter

Good news! It looks like even without the water change, the algae is subsiding. #SuperBacteria

Seriously, I could not be more thankful for how stable this tank has been. So many stupid mistakes yet the tank has minimal responses to really large fluctuations in nutrients, salinity, or temperature. I can mix up the sand bed and barely see through the water to the back of the tank, but the next morning its clear and the corals get better PE. 

• Like 4
mitten_reef
26 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Good news! It looks like even without the water change, the algae is subsiding. #SuperBacteria

Seriously, I could not be more thankful for how stable this tank has been. So many stupid mistakes yet the tank has minimal responses to really large fluctuations in nutrients, salinity, or temperature. I can mix up the sand bed and barely see through the water to the back of the tank, but the next morning its clear and the corals get better PE. 

All well and good that things are stable, just make sure you don't get complacent as things cruise along. https://reefbuilders.com/2017/05/27/old-tank-syndrome-revisited/

HarryPotter

So my skimmer has been off for a few months since it wasn't powering on. I emailed aqua max and they said to flip the shaft and put on the stuff again, and it worked. But now the tank isn't silent ?

D57BF38D-A2FB-4A52-85ED-54A7549D80A7_zps

HarryPotter
On 6/1/2017 at 1:13 PM, DaveFason said:

-D

On 6/1/2017 at 1:31 PM, teenyreef said:

#jealous

So I just stopped feeding until the algae was gone. 8 days later, its cleaner than it was before that mess! This tank is so forgiving- it's incredible and I'm really grateful for it. 

CCB239FF-3693-4DB9-A7B8-7F3F4EA693BB_zps

• Like 6
mitten_reef
1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

So I just stopped feeding until the algae was gone. 8 days later, its cleaner than it was before that mess! This tank is so forgiving- it's incredible and I'm really grateful for it. 

CCB239FF-3693-4DB9-A7B8-7F3F4EA693BB_zps

This tank looks soo good - even without any lights on!  

Make me wanna move my tank up from the basement man cave up into the daylight (just to see how it looks in natural light). I have one mini colony of blue tort that is so blue it stays blue with just the room lights on, bet that one would look terrific in daylight. But probably can't do that in this house, (a cat, a dog, and a baby on the way - not much room left in the living room for fishtank upstairs - maybe the next house :mellow:)  

How deep is that sandbed? is it easy to keep clean? Thinking of trying leopard wrasse again, and need to add more sand to the tank. I have probably an inch of sand now. 

HarryPotter
1 minute ago, micoastreefing said:

This tank looks soo good - even without any lights on!  

Make me wanna move my tank up from the basement man cave up into the daylight (just to see how it looks in natural light). I have one mini colony of blue tort that is so blue it stays blue with just the room lights on, bet that one would look terrific in daylight. But probably can't do that in this house, (a cat, a dog, and a baby on the way - not much room left in the living room for fishtank upstairs - maybe the next house :mellow:)  

How deep is that sandbed? is it easy to keep clean? Thinking of trying leopard wrasse again, and need to add more sand to the tank. I have probably an inch of sand now. 

I really love daylight. Sure the colors are better with the light fixture, but there is something about natural lighting that is super relaxing. 

The sanded ranges from 2" to 3" deep of a very fine grain sand. I find it easy to keep clean, the top stays algae free 90% of the time (Except when I pour in 2 months worth of Reef Roids :blink:). Every month or two when I do a water change I mix all the sand from the bottom. It is pretty clean, with just a slight brown cloud coming out that is filtered out in an hour or so. The corals really enjoy this. The "danger" of a deep sand bed is if you neglect it for long periods of time, lets say 8 months, and then mix it up. It could have too much crap in it (and/or built up toxins) that can harm the tank if released all at once. But with bi-monthly maintenance, its not an issue. 

If I started again, I would choose a larger grain sand. That way I could have even MORE flow without causing a snowstorm, because 6500 just isn't enough :lol:

• Like 3
HarryPotter

Just noticed my Alk dosing hasn't been working for the last month ?. The all Container is full while Ca is empty- I found a clogged tube. 

This tank is... a tank. I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't rearranging some wires. How can an acro/cap dominant tank have no Alk for a month and not show any signs of stress? Just sucked it up and ordered Hanna Alk reagent because I am too curious ?

• 2 weeks later...
HarryPotter

Crap. Alk bottomed out just under 5.5 with the broken doser. @markalot how fast can I raise it back up, should I remove this whole colony, and are there any adjustments to lighting I should make during this process. Two frags and this colony are RTNing. 

7699EA7A-A7B9-459D-90BE-4C9C7CE8B31F_zps

I've raised my Alk by 1 dKH per day without stressing anything, with a once off dose. So I'd raise it over 2 days and make sure it's stable after that. :)

• Like 1
HarryPotter
1 minute ago, 4x5 said:

I've raised my Alk by 1 dKH per day without stressing anything, with a once off dose. So I'd raise it over 2 days and make sure it's stable after that. :)

Yeah.... Its been stable at 9 for about a year with the consistent 40ml daily dosing but the jebao Alk head isn't pumping. I can move Alk to another head and reprogram it, but am not sure what dose to start back on. 

Or water changes to get it back up, bout 50% with RSCP? 

mitten_reef

yikes, I thought my alk dropped to 6.7 was low... Hopefully you get more answers soon.

Can't offer up much advice as I'm fairly new to the Alk game. But my gut feeling would be that under 6 you're risking a lot more without taking any action?  Let's put it this way, what was your 'daily swing' when it was in steady state - the tank should be able to handle that range of increase, no?  If you wanna be cautious, then target for just half of that 'daily swing' range in the next few hours or half a day? 

Keep the dosage as it was and manually dose up to where you want it over the next few days is what I'd recommend. I had my Alk that low with no issues so I wouldn't panic and make big changes, that might just cause more issues.

• Like 5
mitten_reef
7 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Yeah.... Its been stable at 9 for about a year with the consistent 40ml daily dosing but the jebao Alk head isn't pumping. I can move Alk to another head and reprogram it, but am not sure what dose to start back on. 

Or water changes to get it back up, bout 50% with RSCP? 

With the fresh mix RSCP really high in Alk, I wouldn't do 50% wc RSCP. I believe that will cause a major Alk swing from where you are.  

4 minutes ago, 4x5 said:

Keep the dosage as it was and manually dose up to where you want it over the next few days is what I'd recommend. I had my Alk that low with no issues so I wouldn't panic, that might just cause more issues.

@4x5 Sorry, certainly not trying to instigate a knee-jerk-type/panic reaction....Just thought that he should be looking at potential solution/action in the mean time.

• HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350