Pod Your Reef

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

3 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Not new at all, I got it from a tiny piece. I just checked my IMGUR and I see this from ~7 months ago. But I was burning my corals until 3 months ago lol.

It was $60 at ReefaPalooza back in April 

NTnQEwV.jpg

I count about 5-6 $100 frags on the current chunk - blow it up and make half a grand!

10 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

I count about 5-6 $100 frags on the current chunk - blow it up and make half a grand!

Its only starting to explode with growth recently, because I was burning everything with 1000 par lol. Everything is clicking into place now that I have par and alkalinity under control. I’m going to leave it be! Growth is exponential, after all. Though I read about how microfragging results in more coral than a colony growing.... 🤔

Im not a fragger for $$, usually. I grow pieces as large as I can, and then trim branches as needed to prevent warfare. I want colonies, not nubs.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Its only starting to explode with growth recently, because I was burning everything with 1000 par lol. Everything is clicking into place now that I have par and alkalinity under control. I’m going to leave it be! Growth is exponential, after all. Though I read about how microfragging results in more coral than a colony growing.... 🤔

Im not a fragger for $$, usually. I grow pieces as large as I can, and then trim branches as needed to prevent warfare. I want colonies, not nubs.

Have you tested your 8 bulb with a PAR meter at 5” and got 1000 PAR? 

What are you getting now at 8” ?

Just curious...

38 minutes ago, Andreww said:

Have you tested your 8 bulb with a PAR meter at 5” and got 1000 PAR? 

What are you getting now at 8” ?

Just curious...

Not sure where those numbers are from- I used to have the fixture a bit above the waterline- like 4-5”. Now I have it 12-14” above the waterline 🙂. I have 350 at the middle of the tank. Though since then I added the dual LED bars...

Tank is at the right age now to be a growth factory, mine is the same.  Who knows how long it will last.

My OP is just about to start encrusting the plug.  I will not be taking blue light pics of it, I'm a snob like that.  Acros are to be viewed under natural light (heavy blue but with a significant amount of white).  If they don't look good like that then worthless, move on to the next one.   

Here's Reefmutt's (RC forum) OP under white.  It's still a very pretty coral.

505ef90614fbc4540d92ab6212ec7b77.jpg

Note that he lost most of it due to a rusting magnet in the sump.  Damn tenuis is sensitive to everything ... I'll be happy if I keep mine alive for a year.  lol  

• Like 3
57 minutes ago, markalot said:

Tank is at the right age now to be a growth factory, mine is the same.  Who knows how long it will last.

My OP is just about to start encrusting the plug.  I will not be taking blue light pics of it, I'm a snob like that.  Acros are to be viewed under natural light (heavy blue but with a significant amount of white).  If they don't look good like that then worthless, move on to the next one.   

Here's Reefmutt's (RC forum) OP under white.  It's still a very pretty coral.

505ef90614fbc4540d92ab6212ec7b77.jpg

Note that he lost most of it due to a rusting magnet in the sump.  Damn tenuis is sensitive to everything ... I'll be happy if I keep mine alive for a year.  lol  

Yeah I originally took that orange-filter view as a joke 🤣. That’s a pretty colony 

1 minute ago, HarryPotter said:

8 fresh bulbs! Were last changed in April, because I got them at RAP. 

kp0cQME.jpg

I like the turbulance.  I'm really kicking the surface up now with the new gyre but not sure if I'm crazy about how it looks in such a short tank.  

10 hours ago, patback said:

I like the turbulance.  I'm really kicking the surface up now with the new gyre but not sure if I'm crazy about how it looks in such a short tank.  

Yeah I think the turbulence is important for maintaining gas exchange and keeping films from building on the surface. The overflow does make a small gurgle noise every so often when the flow pumps sync, but I don’t mind.

Alkalinity down to 6.2.... upping from 80 to 100ml daily. Still makes me uncomfortable. Still is kind of awesome. I’ll do a 50% water change over the weekend, because why the eff not when salt is free now. 

• Like 1

Okay... Serious photo time. DSLR, with the tank lighting actually on! 

O4Z6twa.jpg

N3k8ZlC.jpg

C1dYkZ2.jpg

Recent Addition

8tknk19.jpg

Well balanced photo of OP

LbLk9Jz.jpg

Something gorgeous  from @Top Shelf Aquatics

QlEJMh4.jpg

Something from ARC- forget the name

xfvVlw1.jpg

My gorgeous RFAs

XqaB8iW.jpg

A FTS

fcovBDy.jpg

OH also a little fancy torch-- the TSA Dragon Soul I believe. 

1Il9QHZ.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 3

How are you able to keep the sand from blowing around?

I suppose you have pretty high flow?...

Edit: just realized...you’ve got way too many frag rags in there lol

Are you holding for the bigger tank as well?

11 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

O4Z6twa.jpg

N3k8ZlC.jpg

C1dYkZ2.jpg

Recent Addition

8tknk19.jpg

LbLk9Jz.jpg

QlEJMh4.jpg

xfvVlw1.jpg

My gorgeous RFAs

XqaB8iW.jpg

A FTS

fcovBDy.jpg

1Il9QHZ.jpg

Your tank is freakin amaaaazing. Nice photos!!! 😍

15 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Looks great, Harry! 

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Andreww said:

How are you able to keep the sand from blowing around?

I suppose you have pretty high flow?...

Edit: just realized...you’ve got way too many frag rags in there lol

Are you holding for the bigger tank as well?

I have crazy high flow- I posted a video right above this set of photos. 

Scarily, the big tank is also packed with corals. These are all for me, or for frag packs going out. I am going to make this tank even more heavily SPS with time- take out those LPS on the sand bed, and then add rubble to the scape to make room for more sticks. Acros always do better on the rocks than on the rack. 

7 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Your tank is freakin amaaaazing. Nice photos!!! 😍

Thanks!

Added some rubble to make room for sticks from the racks. I am really happy with how this turned out— I can’t wait till the rock colors up. 

I basically turned a 3” wide strip of rock into a dinner-plate area 🙂 

oNwDiOK.jpg

wc8qxTA.jpg

• Like 6
On 1/25/2019 at 9:43 PM, HarryPotter said:

O4Z6twa.jpg

N3k8ZlC.jpg

C1dYkZ2.jpg

Recent Addition

8tknk19.jpg

LbLk9Jz.jpg

QlEJMh4.jpg

xfvVlw1.jpg

My gorgeous RFAs

XqaB8iW.jpg

A FTS

fcovBDy.jpg

1Il9QHZ.jpg

amazing pics.  The first top-down shot is really deceiving how big that colony is when compared to the FTS 😮 - assuming it's the one right in the middle, just to the left of the red millie.

My new gold torch, unlike yours, has very little gold accent when not under heavy blue 😞

• Like 1
1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

amazing pics.  The first top-down shot is really deceiving how big that colony is when compared to the FTS 😮 - assuming it's the one right in the middle, just to the left of the red millie.

My new gold torch, unlike yours, has very little gold accent when not under heavy blue 😞

Yeah it looks small from above, but it’s on a full 4” disk.  

Bummer with the torch— that’s been my general experience and why I don’t order them online. The top down filtered photos make brown seem gold.  The 300 gallon has a single head of true gold- I’m jealous of it 😂

Heres a side view. It was one of the corals I was stunting with light until I realized that I needed to raise my fixture. Now it’s happy

MrotuYI.jpg

• Like 5

So the rightmost island and red montipora had to go. Hopefully I don't regret it, but it was absolutely covered in green palys that were stinging everything to death. Got some rock from @johnmaloney and went to work! 

BEFORE:

fcovBDy.jpg

BEeE4pM.jpg

DURING: 

m69fM2a.jpg

After (Tons of stuff not mounted yet, and a TON went to the 300 gallon tank 🙂 )

42mllaw.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 3
14 hours ago, jack1978 said:

Looks great, harold

13 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Major makeover. 👍

Thanks- it looks bare now, but I haven’t mounted the tort colony or the slimer.

The rock was from my original reef tank, my nano cube 28. Was almost a little sad to let it go 

wxSTzIC.jpg

• Like 2
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350