Pod Your Reef

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

Well based on how your tank is looking I just purchased a Reefer 350 in Black, I think I am going to go with a coarser grade gravel not a fine gravel it just blows around to much. Not going the Live Rock route either going to try the Dry Live Rock. I had to much trouble with Caulerpa algae on the rock. Now The fun will begin,My Lighting and Skimmer choice.

I am not a sand fan but I love the tropic eden grand stuff. Chunky.

• Like 2
Simulated Fish

I am not a sand fan but I love the tropic eden grand stuff. Chunky.

Plus one for tropic eden! I got it for my JBJ RL45 and LOVE it. Fine grain but doesn't blow around much at all.

thecoralbeauty

Plus one for tropic eden! I got it for my JBJ RL45 and LOVE it. Fine grain but doesn't blow around much at all.

i wish i had known. i have the sugar fine caribsea and its awful about blowing around.

• Like 1

So the rock is TERRIBLE. It's denss... Fake looking... And just horrible. I think "Carib sea live dry rock" or something. Just awful.

I have some in the tank right now but hate it hate it hate it. :(

That tank is sick!

Looks like nice rock there... Sure is "live" now :)

I always wonder, should I've gone the dry rock route?

Hate hate hate the rock

thecoralbeauty

So the rock is TERRIBLE. It's denss... Fake looking... And just horrible. I think "Carib sea live dry rock" or something. Just awful.

I have some in the tank right now but hate it hate it hate it. :(

Hate hate hate the rock

photo?

Is that the rock in the brute? Where did you get it?

He had it cycling, was "dry" rock in a bucket for a few months. But it's aweful Carib Sea shit.

MAn. I'm really bummed.

I'm going to take it all out and see if anyone local will buy it, if not just trash it. It's heavy, not porous at all, and crumbles. I'll order ReefCleaners later on perhaps but for now will let the tank clean up again and then do the transfer as planned without extra rock.

Live rock is inefficient at nutrient export. It's basically useless when you can just put in a reactor with matrix and tie it off the manifold for low flow. You can have 0 rock in the tank and never see nitrate.

I'm going to take it all out and see if anyone local will buy it, if not just trash it. It's heavy, not porous at all, and crumbles. I'll order ReefCleaners later on perhaps but for now will let the tank clean up again and then do the transfer as planned without extra rock.

That. Sucks. Big. Time.

You use that stuff as base. Well it's what I did then I built up with nicer stuff.

It crumbles everywhere... I don't know what's wrong with it :(

Like you move a piece and it cracks in half like its dry play dough

• Like 1

It crumbles everywhere... I don't know what's wrong with it :(

Like you move a piece and it cracks in half like its dry play dough

I had the Walt Smith stuff it didn't crumble. Yours sounds like water logged concrete. I remember when I moved all my coral into my last big tank I lost a metric shit ton of coral. As said earlier it takes some time to build that stable bio filter. Ask Stella how many corals she lost waiting for her SCA to become stable :wacko: sure some of that SPS will take a hit but hopefully it will recover.
  • Like 2

I had the Walt Smith stuff it didn't crumble. Yours sounds like water logged concrete. I remember when I moved all my coral into my last big tank I lost a metric shit ton of coral. As said earlier it takes some time to build that stable bio filter. Ask Stella how many corals she lost waiting for her SCA to become stable :wacko: sure some of that SPS will take a hit but hopefully it will recover.

A LOT. I lost a lot. I stopped counting.

• Like 1

Stella has been helping me with ideas and recommendations

In the first 5 days of this current tank (reading back to the beginning) I transferred everything from my JBJ-28 with no losses except the eventual brain coral.... I'm really really hoping it'll be the same here

• Like 1

Stella has been helping me with ideas and recommendations

In the first 5 days of this current tank (reading back to the beginning) I transferred everything from my JBJ-28 with no losses except the eventual brain coral.... I'm really really hoping it'll be the same here

The difference is you didn't have acros in that tank really. At least I don't think so. Like others have said, be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

• Like 2

The difference is you didn't have acros in that tank really. At least I don't think so. Like others have said, be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

Very true! Both about the acros and the transition

• Like 2

Are we missing the obvious here? One could easily supplement the bacteria for the initial move with something like biodigest and carbon dosing to propagate. At the very least dump half a bottle of MB7 before you put stuff in and then dump the rest of the bottle the next day.

Are we missing the obvious here? One could easily supplement the bacteria for the initial move with something like biodigest and carbon dosing to propagate. At the very least dump half a bottle of MB7 before you put stuff in and then dump the rest of the bottle the next day.

Thats what I did sir! Got fritzyme turbostart 9000, dumped some old sand in, and am giving it some time to build up a biological filter via feeding mysis and skimate.

I'm talking about an established tank that keeps parameters stable. Bacteria will help establish but until everything levels out, params wil fluctuate

Yep, a new tank is a new tank no matter what you add to it

Great minds think alike. I used Walt Smith too and it's awesome.

I swear by ReefCleaners :)

Not enough pics in this thread!

Sorry dude, just an empty tank with a heater, sand, and powerhead!

Dirty Harry strikes again!

F U, Hairball!!

"Its Jack. Jack Bond"

• Like 1
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350