Coral Vue Hydros

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

unDN0Gp.jpg

10 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Wow 😲, you do have some Harry Potter magic in that tank. 

This tank doesn’t look like it skipped a beat!!

Thanks!!! Its definitely coming back well with my weekly water changes. But the photo doesn’t show the damaged areas; for example this is the lower portion of the  rightmost green tort. The coral is trying to regrow over the dead areas

d5OeoA1.jpg

• Like 2
On 11/3/2018 at 8:13 PM, HarryPotter said:

@markalot I was at gotcorals and they lent me their par meter!!!! A nice apogee one. So I’ll finally be able to take real measurements- no more guesswork! 

Great news.   So where are the readings?  :)

6 minutes ago, markalot said:

Great news.   So where are the readings?  🙂

I haven’t done a proper map yet. I first took measurements with the pumps off, but Ramiro corrected me and I need to do it again. With my lights 10” above the rim of the tank, it seemed my sticks are getting ~380 par. That’s pretty reasonable. Before, when it was 3” above the rim, I was cooking them with about 1000......

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, specore said:

Just out of curiosity, how much 2-part does a tank like this consume?

Its still recovering, but 36ml part a and 36ml part b usually. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Colors are starting to look really good again. Yesterday I decided to get some of my nicer pieces off the rack and onto the rock. Added a bit of rubble as well. 

I also ordered two customized 48” light bars to go on this 8 bulb fixture. A nice balance between royal blue, deep blue, and a bit of UV. Pattern is 460/440/410/440. I had the “spendin funds from toggle boxes and these bars from Orphek aren’t particularly expensive— just hoping they’re good quality! 

Heres a crap photo of the mounted sticks. Orange passion, Walt Disney, and a bunch of nice no-namers. My baby, the yellow efflo, needs to be mounted properly. 

wSOxDB8.jpg

• Like 6
15 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Colors are starting to look really good again. Yesterday I decided to get some of my nicer pieces off the rack and onto the rock. Added a bit of rubble as well. 

I also ordered two customized 48” light bars to go on this 8 bulb fixture. A nice balance between royal blue, deep blue, and a bit of UV. Pattern is 460/440/410/440. I had the “spendin funds from toggle boxes and these bars from Orphek aren’t particularly expensive— just hoping they’re good quality! 

Heres a crap photo of the mounted sticks. Orange passion, Walt Disney, and a bunch of nice no-namers. My baby, the yellow efflo, needs to be mounted properly. 

wSOxDB8.jpg

my local guy just got the bars over his frag tanks, they're a bit too blue by themselves.  but if blue accent is what you're looking for with this addition, I think you'll like them.  nice price indeed. 

btw, tank looks good - I like how mature the surviving colonies look, dense, thick branches. the RFA rock is epic.  

1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

Glad to hear things are going well.  Where did you order the light bars from?  I'm down to just 2 T5's over my 150 now and things are doing quite well, maybe even better than with the 4 T5's.  Unfortunately I don't have quite enough PAR to go without any T5's.  

17 minutes ago, markalot said:

Glad to hear things are going well.  Where did you order the light bars from?  I'm down to just 2 T5's over my 150 now and things are doing quite well, maybe even better than with the 4 T5's.  Unfortunately I don't have quite enough PAR to go without any T5's.  

Orphek. They have gotten some pretty darn good reviews. $20 off for black Friday, so $140 shipped for a 48" bar. I paid a small fee to get that custom spectrum, something a bit "deeper" than royal blue with a bit of UV. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

my local guy just got the bars over his frag tanks, they're a bit too blue by themselves.  but if blue accent is what you're looking for with this addition, I think you'll like them.  nice price indeed. 

btw, tank looks good - I like how mature the surviving colonies look, dense, thick branches. the RFA rock is epic.  

I didn't get the standard bar- are you referring to their UV/Violet bar or royal blue sky bar? https://orphek.com/or-bar-led-light/

Yeah, I am looking for blue accent/power to pull out more colors than I can get with T5s. Supplementing 8 T5 bulbs is probably overkill, but I can just raise the fixture up and have more even coverage if PAR is an issue. 

11 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

I think he got two bars, royal and UV, over a few tanks.  I did hear that you can request the LED to have specific layout - which is pretty cool.   

I did customize them- you quoted my post! xD 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Orphek. They have gotten some pretty darn good reviews. $20 off for black Friday, so $140 shipped for a 48" bar. I paid a small fee to get that custom spectrum, something a bit "deeper" than royal blue with a bit of UV. 

No 60 inch sizes.  :(   But doable as in here:  https://orphek.com/over-6-foot-wide-135g-sps-dominated-reef/

4 hours ago, vegasgundog said:

Looks like you have several exposed screws. Cover them with silicone sealant. It is so great everything is coming together and back to life. 

Yessir, I was going to remove them and then use alcohol to get off any residue. Not sure if it needs silicon after that. Its from where I used to run a UV or something 

I know this might not work for you, but reading your post about the Random Flow Generators.

I had the issue with double nozzle that one of mine would create random flow and the other would just create normal flow. i decided to go to just 1 nozzle instead of double and now it actually works heaps better.

but then again you are working with a larger tank so just some food for thought.

Cheers.

5 hours ago, Sancho said:

I still see a damn frag rack in the tank....WTF man?

Always!! I actually just mounted my favorite sticks from the rack to the rockwork. Looks really nice and corals are so much happier with the randomized flow on the rocks compared to the more linear flow on the racks.  

9 hours ago, mcs said:

I know this might not work for you, but reading your post about the Random Flow Generators.

I had the issue with double nozzle that one of mine would create random flow and the other would just create normal flow. i decided to go to just 1 nozzle instead of double and now it actually works heaps better.

but then again you are working with a larger tank so just some food for thought.

Cheers.

Good suggestion, I might try that! My tank is not really limited on random flow, I have a ton of powerheads in here.   The nozzles are nice since I can aim the flow where I want it; I think I would need to upgrade return pump to really take advantage of the flow.

• Like 1
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350