Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

Mother f^^+*^**

Is this what caused the RTN?! Prob not, but definitly not helping. 

Found it it in the sand bed... a razor very very very rusty razor. 

YMZJUCL.jpg

Pretty much dug up the entire sand bed looking for any other contaminant. Just found rocks, sticks, and snail shells. 

vJT0Q7G.jpg

Cmon corals....... ya’ll can make it! 

• Sad 1
  • Wow 3
26 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Damn this is freaking me out. One of my favorite tanks . Seriously hope it isn't nuked. If anyone can pull out of this I am sure it is you Mr. POTTER. good luck😬

Check out what I found... that can’t be helping.

thanks- I think it’ll pull through. Will take 2 or 3 month to recover though 

15 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Check out what I found... that can’t be helping.

thanks- I think it’ll pull through. Will take 2 or 3 month to recover though 

Well that's been in there a long time.. maybe that's the secret to your acro success 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
38 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Well that's been in there a long time.. maybe that's the secret to your acro success 🤔

Lol! Or my lack of- maybe things would have been at the waterline by now! 

Just got this in the mail. Not great timing given the state of things, but it was prearranged. Grafted sunfire- like a green/red graft but of a starburst cap, so also has yellow polyps. They’re yellower in person 🙂

9Q4yFYo.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
On 9/12/2018 at 10:23 PM, HarryPotter said:

Mother f^^+*^**

YMZJUCL.jpg

Pretty much dug up the entire sand bed looking for any other contaminant. Just found rocks, sticks, and snail shells. 

vJT0Q7G.jpg

Some geniuses would argue that rusting crap equals GFO. I always admire ppl with long term amazing reef tank that manage to utilize sandbed and didn’t crush the tank. Since I am seriously flawed man, maintaining sandbed is just not my thing. Hope you get things sort out and get your tank flourish again. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Red planet 

Uz7K3nq.jpg

Monti

NzhDFhg.jpg

Sh**t, Harry,  Hoping for the best, man.   

edit: with the corrective action that you did combined with how healthy things were, hopefully the RTN stopped soon.  Some pieces may benefit from fragging.  that's how I ended up saving both my Red Dragon and Bird of Paradise during my summer ups and downs.  Needless to say I did lose a few smaller pieces over the last handful of months due to my negligence, but none of them were worth the stress trying to save.

• Like 2

Blue, it was the dosing mishap (and sudden alkalinity swing), not the razor.  But the razor was an interesting find.  People are finding stuff like this when using comprehensive water tests like ATI (which might show high zinc levels, indicating exposure to metal).

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Some geniuses would argue that rusting crap equals GFO. I always admire ppl with long term amazing reef tank that manage to utilize sandbed and didn’t crush the tank. Since I am seriously flawed man, maintaining sandbed is just not my thing. Hope you get things sort out and get your tank flourish again. 

lol...who would say such a thing 

19 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Sh**t, Harry,  Hoping for the best, man.   

edit: with the corrective action that you did combined with how healthy things were, hopefully the RTN stopped soon.  Some pieces may benefit from fragging.  that's how I ended up saving both my Red Dragon and Bird of Paradise during my summer ups and downs.  Needless to say I did lose a few smaller pieces over the last handful of months due to my negligence, but none of them were worth the stress trying to save.

Ill frag the red planet today for sure. 

This is what I meant about being red cap looking more white than red: 

Zhi9sJ1.jpg

6 minutes ago, seabass said:

Blue, it was the dosing mishap (and sudden alkalinity swing), not the razor.  But the razor was an interesting find.  People are finding stuff like this when using comprehensive water tests like ATI (which might show high zinc levels, indicating exposure to metal).

Yeah, I know that @seabass. GFO reference was based on funny exchange with fellow member of this forum. It just stocked in my mind. I do remember his Alk mishap post. I’m pretty sure most of us had one of those. There was a guy on some other forum that found couple nails in his sump. Don’t ask me how they got there tho. Lol. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

People who say that, rust= GFO, dont understand that modern metals are alloys with a ton of different elements in them. Unless they would dose cupramine (copper) in their display, they can GFY 🤞

• Like 1

On the other hand- @micoastreefing, could be WAY worse.

Most of my corals look totally fine. Like nothing happened. Only the caps, a few frags, and red planet are struggling. If they died and everything else is fine........ that would be okay.i would consider myself lucky. 

No issue with the yellow efflo (thank god, I would be crushed. Favorite coral that I’ve grown from under 1/2” to over 6” diameter) 

rnPe9zy.jpg

Nor with the other acro colonies, besides browning out a bit. Regular great PE. I’m feeding heavily to help recovery, two cubes a day + roids, whih certainty doesn’t help color.

LGD1tEI.jpg

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Ill frag the red planet today for sure. 

This is what I meant about being red cap looking more white than red: 

Zhi9sJ1.jpg

Don't sweat the cap's, think of it as an opportunity to re-scape if they were to all go. 😛 Focus on acros, you have too many sweet pieces in there.  Caps are easy to replace/re-grow. 

while we, us veterans, may think caps are indestructible (which they mostly are), they're also more sensitive than we'd think.  That's why newbies always ask why their montis do this, that or others. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

People who say that, rust= GFO, dont understand that modern metals are alloys with a ton of different elements in them. Unless they would dose cupramine (copper) in their display, they can GFY 🤞

My suggestion was quite simple. Get couple tons of rusty nails and start your own business. I am sure that business  venture would take off in no time and guy would make the Fortune top 100 list within few years. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Don't sweat the cap's, think of it as an opportunity to re-scape if they were to all go. 😛 Focus on acros, you have too many sweet pieces in there.  Caps are easy to replace/re-grow. 

while we, us veterans, may think caps are indestructible (which they mostly are), they're also more sensitive than we'd think.  That's why newbies always ask why their montis do this, that or others. 

Growing acros on a monti skeleton would be cool TBH.

The white red-cap was what set off alarm bells, never happened before. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

That’s what I was going to say. 😏

• Like 2

My red cap in my IM10 did the exact same thing after an alk swing. Just a wedge in the middle went bad. The green cap turned generally super pale but is recovering. The last time I had a similar event, it took two or three months for the surviving caps to recover.

1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

My red cap in my IM10 did the exact same thing after an alk swing. Just a wedge in the middle went bad. The green cap turned generally super pale but is recovering. The last time I had a similar event, it took two or three months for the surviving caps to recover.

Now that @micoastreefing mentioned it, if the cap died it would make an excellent  place to grow acros 👀. Even if it recovered,  eventually I would want to replace it with the new grafted cap (top of page) once the grafted grows out- not sure if solid red is worth the space it takes up, especially with so many nice corals on the rack. 

@markalot, would there be any point in connecting a majorly oversized UV to reduce the cross-coral spread of RTN? Probably not, because this RTN is definitly stressed based rather than bacterial? Just thinking about what I have laying around. 

Meanwhile.... 300 gallon looks great! Test acros, LPS, and even polyps in there are sexy as heck. Temperature is rock solid with that volume, varying like .2 degrees per day compared to the 3-4 in my reefer. I don’t think there would be a point moving corals there for recovery though, because the damage is done- now that my Alk is down, same parameters in both tanks. Right?  🤔

• Like 1

I found that when I had my pico stocked with mainly sps,and my TLF magnet rusted and it took me months to figure it out thats what caused 85% of my acro's to perish the ones that made it slowly died. 

But that was also a VERY small amount of water and rust like that is DEADLY to a pico. 

1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

Now that @micoastreefing mentioned it, if the cap died it would make an excellent  place to grow acros 👀. Even if it recovered,  eventually I would want to replace it with the new grafted cap (top of page) once the grafted grows out- not sure if solid red is worth the space it takes up, especially with so many nice corals on the rack. 

@markalot, would there be any point in connecting a majorly oversized UV to reduce the cross-coral spread of RTN? Probably not, because this RTN is definitly stressed based rather than bacterial? Just thinking about what I have laying around. 

Meanwhile.... 300 gallon looks great! Test acros, LPS, and even polyps in there are sexy as heck. Temperature is rock solid with that volume, varying like .2 degrees per day compared to the 3-4 in my reefer. I don’t think there would be a point moving corals there for recovery though, because the damage is done- now that my Alk is down, same parameters in both tanks. Right?  🤔

I've been thinking the exact same thing about my red cap. Too much real estate for too little pop. I'm thinking of just getting rid of the rest of it and putting something else in its place.

Here's what the damage looks like a little more than a month later. The pic is blurry because I cropped it out of the top down.

2018-09-08 IM10 Top Down

On 9/12/2018 at 10:23 PM, HarryPotter said:

Mother f^^+*^**

YMZJUCL.jpg

vJT0Q7G.jpg

What's the diff between this and gfo?

3 minutes ago, chaostactics said:

What's the diff between this and gfo?

Any metal object is almost certain to have toxic metals/compounds which will leach into the water.  Zinc, lead, iron, oils  etc.  GFO we buy is coming from a controlled source and shouldn't be leaching toxic compounds.  

I personally keep a 9mm in my sand bed rather than a blade...just because you never know when you may need to defend yourself 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350