Innovative Marine Aquariums

Is this green coralline algae or a different type?

joshvollberg

• 3 years later...

Did you ever figure this out? I'm encountering the same algae but don't know what it is. I can't scrape it off the rocks and it has this same glowing color under my blue lights.

• 2 months later...

Do not scrub the rocks outside of the tank like in a water bucket, to be honest try get some snails to eat it as they're big enough to fit in snails mouth. Scrubbing outside of the tank will remove alot of beneficial bacteria you worked hard to achieve. Snails move around based on memory so maybe drop a few directly onto the rock and let them go at their own pace. Best of luck! 

6 hours ago, DSFa said:

Do not scrub the rocks outside of the tank like in a water bucket, to be honest try get some snails to eat it as they're big enough to fit in snails mouth. Scrubbing outside of the tank will remove alot of beneficial bacteria you worked hard to achieve. Snails move around based on memory so maybe drop a few directly onto the rock and let them go at their own pace. Best of luck! 

Tried snails but they don't seem to touch it. I have a frag plug with coralline growing like a weed on it, will that eventually take over the green algae on the rocks? I have the plug up against the rocks to encourage it to encrust over to the rock.

If you don't already have a thread opened on your algae, I would suggest opening one.  Post your test levels, especially no3 and po4.  Post what you have in your cleanup crew (with detail).

My guess is that you only have a few snails...it's possible they aren't herbivorous.

If you open a thread, feel free to drop a link to it here!

On 2/3/2016 at 6:09 PM, joshvollberg said:

I don't know what kind of algae this is.post-86278-0-89519100-1454540957_thumb.jpegpost-86278-0-89519100-1454540957_thumb.jpeg

post-86278-0-55745200-1454540946_thumb.jpeg

I love that green algae!  If you seed your tank with pink & purple coralline algae, what I usually see happen is the White Dry Rock -> gets some green algae on it -> and then the maroon and purple coralline algae grows on that.  It's so beautiful to see spots of green, red, and purple all over the rocks rather than just white rocks...  And the snails and Tailspot Blenny are loving it also.