ReefCleaners.org

SB Reeflights Bluefish Interface

jeffb418

Just finished integrating Bluefish with multiple 3 channel SB ramping Reeflights. The drivers in the 16/32" ramping lights are PWM controlled (as well as the wifi versions). The PWM drivers accept either 5V or 10V PWM but requires an inverse PWM signal than what the Bluefish outputs. So I had to put together a simple inverter box based on old school 74LS04 hex inverters. If anyone is interested in the full mod, I will be putting together a document soon on how to do the retrofit. The interface circuit will also allow either the full Bluefish or Bluefish Mini to be used.

post-90500-0-78358600-1454524831_thumb.jpg

post-90500-0-31010100-1454524835_thumb.jpg

jedimasterben

You sure that the drivers accept 5v PWM as well as 10v? That is not typically true. You can verify this with a watt meter, something that the guy that runs SBlights has yet to do. :rolleyes:

Yes I have confirmed this. The attached scope measurement is out of the built in ramping controller that is included with the SB Reeflights. Actually the output measures about 4.2V PWM. So I would expect it to work down to this level at-least. 3.3V might even work but I haven't tried it.

Also something else that has been advertised incorrectly is that the PWM drivers can run analog as well as PWM. This is not true. Standard/timer lights are analog only while the PWM (ramping/wifi) lights are PWM only.

post-90500-0-56598400-1454525569_thumb.jpg

The interface I made might not be required in the future for the standard Bluefish controller if the PWM polarity is configurable via the app per channel, but doubt this will happen without a larger demand. And I don't know of any other PWM drivers that are inverted like this (constant 0V for full on, constant 5V for full off).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived