ReefCleaners.org

Lights don't go to full power?

kblack3

Just installed a Steves LED retrofit into my biocube and when I installed the mini the lights were incredibly dull. Any recommendations? Could be me its my first rodeo with LEDs.

Thank you!

Just installed a Steves LED retrofit into my biocube and when I installed the mini the lights were incredibly dull. Any recommendations? Could be me its my first rodeo with LEDs.

Thank you!

Gonna need a lot more information to accurately diagnose whats going on. Type of LED's (I know Steve's are usually Luxeon Rebel 3w but he also has 10w), type of power supply used, wiring diagrams if possible, are you wiring up potentiometers with PWM, using variable resistors for dimming, or none. Ben will inevitable chime in here who is the be all end all when it comes to LEDs. Also could you link which retrofit kit you bought.

Pictures also help to give a better idea whats going on. I just don't want to speculate at this point without further information.

Sorry kid in hospital so been preoccupied all day.

I will take some pics shortly I did speak to Jeff and he clarified I might have plugged the prewired controller cable in upside down (I assumed and you know what they say about that lol). I will be testing as soon as #1 falls asleep

Edit: it is a mini

Sorry kid in hospital so been preoccupied all day.

I will take some pics shortly I did speak to Jeff and he clarified I might have plugged the prewired controller cable in upside down (I assumed and you know what they say about that lol). I will be testing as soon as #1 falls asleep

Edit: it is a mini

Oh god now I'm the a-hole lol. I hope everything is alright with your family!

Oh god now I'm the a-hole lol. I hope everything is alright with your family!

Not at all you rock for replying and trying to help a reefer who is used to halides and PCs lol. #2 is solid so far he had fembral seizures but seems to be under control. Also, Jeff at steves got back to me, I'm a noob had it plugged in upside down we have success LOL. Now I can start the custom buildout of #2's vivarium. Super pumped!

Not at all you rock for replying and trying to help a reefer who is used to halides and PCs lol. #2 is solid so far he had fembral seizures but seems to be under control. Also, Jeff at steves got back to me, I'm a noob had it plugged in upside down we have success LOL. Now I can start the custom buildout of #2's vivarium. Super pumped!

Well that's good to hear!

I feel pictures incoming.

Well that's good to hear!

I feel pictures incoming.

Yes they are I am modifying the settings for each time period and thunderstorms then I should be good to go. My color combo is much different than a reef for obvious reasons. More tank modification prior to waterfall and drip wall construction.

gulfsurfer101

Good to hear everything is looking better! When my son was only 9mo old we went on a camping trip where he suffered from febrel siezures. It was the longest hour drive chasing that ambulance to the nearest city. The worst feeling of helplessness ever.

For sure I had to stay here with the oldest till my parents could make it here! Stressful

Anyways had an idea not sure it's possible but could I use one of the left over channels on the bluefish mini to control variable speed computer fans and if so which fans? I noticed some are pwm 4 pin? Any input would be sweet!

• 3 weeks later...

I still hope everything is good with the family.

On a much less important note how is the tank?

Thanks for the follow up! Judah broke his fever finally last week and seems to be on the mend which is huge!!! Lights are on point now the bluefish pins are opposite of the steves retrofit so we have light and moving onto next fazes. False bottom was completed last week I'm ordering in a handpicked piece of ghost wood next week so construction of the Viv should go interior design phase soon! Side note, I think I've sold my wife on an IM 30L for my sons room so nanobox quad with bluefish for that too if she consents to my addictions lol. Once again you rock. Family is always number one and your positive thoughts our way are not unnoticed!

Thanks for the follow up! Judah broke his fever finally last week and seems to be on the mend which is huge!!! Lights are on point now the bluefish pins are opposite of the steves retrofit so we have light and moving onto next fazes. False bottom was completed last week I'm ordering in a handpicked piece of ghost wood next week so construction of the Viv should go interior design phase soon! Side note, I think I've sold my wife on an IM 30L for my sons room so nanobox quad with bluefish for that too if she consents to my addictions lol. Once again you rock. Family is always number one and your positive thoughts our way are not unnoticed!

Hey we are all mini Marine Biologist nerds here but nothing trumps family values. Glad to hear your little one is doing better! I wish you all the best.

Your lights look amazing but I am a little confused on your false bottom. Are you going for an undergravel type filtration?

Hey we are all mini Marine Biologist nerds here but nothing trumps family values. Glad to hear your little one is doing better! I wish you all the best.

Your lights look amazing but I am a little confused on your false bottom. Are you going for an undergravel type filtration?

Nope this is for a custom vivarium for dart frogs. False bottom allows soil layer to drain so root systems don't rot.

Nope this is for a custom vivarium for dart frogs. False bottom allows soil layer to drain so root systems don't rot.

....NOW it makes sense lol. I am curious to see how this works out for you. I have been interested in vivariums since I saw that new one on kickstarter recently.

I think I have enough tanks at the moment though :-).

Archived