Cultivated Reef

Kijho's IM Fusion 20

Kijho

Picked up some new snails. One of the snails has some fuzzy red/ purple algae on his shell, a decent amount - it's fuzzy, like grass almost.. but deep purple/ red-ish.

Should I:

1) Leave it

2) Bring the snail back and ditch him to the LFS haha..

3) Peroxide + razor it off his shell outside

Any pictures? Anything that looks fuzzy like hair algea I'll ditch lol

It might be turf algea....bad newsssssss

K. Snail is going tonight. I suspected something like this, but haven't had a chance to pull him out. I should have watched the LFS most closely when they were picking them out, ugh. I got some Nassarius's though and thankfully all the rest are clean.

Diatoms are a bloooooming!!! :D

Picked up some new snails. One of the snails has some fuzzy red/ purple algae on his shell, a decent amount - it's fuzzy, like grass almost.. but deep purple/ red-ish.

Should I:

1) Leave it

2) Bring the snail back and ditch him to the LFS haha..

3) Peroxide + razor it off his shell outside

Get him out of the tank, that's how I got bryopsis.

Not Hijacking Thread, but I have at least 1 snail with Green Algae, normal looking stuff. Hasn't spread or anything yet.

Should I also be concerned?

makingfilms

one of my Astrea snails has a huge afro of green hair algae. it grows out when he is on the glass and when he hits the LR my hermits grab on to him and give him a buzz cut. it grows back in a few months. Needless to say it Hasn't spread to any live rock and he has been in my tank for months.

nice tank by the way. I have been quietly following along.

• Like 1

one of my Astrea snails has a huge afro of green hair algae. it grows out when he is on the glass and when he hits the LR my hermits grab on to him and give him a buzz cut. it grows back in a few months. Needless to say it Hasn't spread to any live rock and he has been in my tank for months.

nice tank by the way. I have been quietly following along.

I am sorry,but, lmao! Sounds like the snail heads for the "Barber" on occasion ;)

Maybe the solution is pickup 5 hermits. What kind of hermits do you guys like best? Red leg, blue, zebra? I have 1x Halloween, he's cool.. My emerald did the most grass-eating though in his life.

makingfilms

i have a bunch of hermits I think I have 5 or so blue and 2 red. I also have 2-3 randoms ones in my tank from when i ordered from reef cleaners a bunch of dwarf ceriths and i think some got mixed in. The blues are out more eating than my reds. But my reds seem to molt all the time for some reason. I hear reds are less likely to eat coral, maybe I have that mixed up, but regardless Mine don't seem to eat coral the just walk on it which still makes them unhappy. My emerald crab doesn't do anything he somehow lost a bunch both of his main claws so He hides in his rock all day and doesn't do much at night.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Tank has been on status-quo over the past while. Nothing new, but I am beginning to get coloration on the (dry) rocks.

Noob Question: I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this - But, what is this? The beginning of algae? Or, just good bacteria coloration on the dry rocks? I looked through some other reefers' tank's who started with dry rock and I noticed their beginning FTS's the rocks were pure white like mine - and then a year later, entire rocks green and colored up? Thank you in advance ..

26512786115_58ccfcf51c_c.jpgIMG_1929 by Spencer, on Flickr

26446685921_f0bb149d46_c.jpgIMG_1928 by Spencer, on Flickr

26512788535_91f7593ace_c.jpgIMG_1927 by Spencer, on Flickr

These lil' guys always hiding in the back whenever I'm doing some work in the tank hahaha.. Love 'em!

26512784775_80ff9ff057_c.jpgIMG_1937 by Spencer, on Flickr

Goby & Shrimp !

yeWnn4J.gif

• Like 4

Picked up a little (well, big..) feather duster worm today. I quite like how it looks, actually!! Also picked up 5 new hermits (as I only had 1, and diatoms were a blooooming).. I think I need more flow possibly to help with diatoms, perhaps a spin-stream.

Also. Found my next corals. 2x massive heads / colonies of euphyllia. 1xbig clear/ see thru/ green frogspawn - and 1x big neon green hammer coral. Avoiding torches for the time being, but I'd love to add more of these types. I love the movement and color and how vibrant they are. Always been my favorites, and they're an easy coral to keep for me!

26331151830_4bc568fea6_c.jpgIMG_2087 by Spencer, on Flickr

26331157180_5b6ea1c748_c.jpgIMG_2065 by Spencer, on Flickr

Some weird spec or two in the photo look like they're on my clown but they're actually just particles or on the glass in the photo :)

26604419485_d2f166014c_c.jpgIMG_2084 by Spencer, on Flickr

• Like 6

Finally got off my a*s this afternoon and did a solid water change - the first WC this reef has had. Wow, I am truly a horrible reef-keeper when it's put that way. But, my concept behind it was to allow for the tank to truly cycle and mature slightly before beginning the water changes. I'm not sure if that's the way to do it, but hey, things are doing alright in there!! :)

Biggest thing I found was how much easier doing a WC on a bigger tank was. I remember on the Spec V 5 Gallon, to do a water change would truly need to be done slowly otherwise it could potentially mess everything up inside! Plus, such a small surface area made it very difficult to actually get elbows deep into the tank and do some good cleaning!

So I emptied a full home depot 5g bucket using a large 1" siphon tube: Took 2 or 3 mins to drain? WOW. So much faster than my Spec was.. haha.

Then used my old stock pump that came with the tank (since upgraded to the Sicce) and used that to pump a new 5g bucket of salt water into the tank. Took 5 mins I'd say? It would lift the sand a little, and I actually then began "blasting" areas on the rocks to "clean" them and stir them up. Figured that would be best to do on a regular basis.

20 Mins later the entire tank has settled and it ended up being almost a 50% WC. Because, after you add sand, rocks, and equipment, it's not actually 20G of water. I think I only used 15G of water. So I did a 5G change with the 1x bucket of SW I had remaining from when I initially started the tank! Worked out great.

Things are looking good. None of my corals even closed up during the WC which surprised me.. Sand stirred a little but because I used a much heavier sand it all settled back down so quickly!!! :D

Gonna make it a routine/ schedule to do every Sunday. Gave the glass a good sponge pad cleaning too!

• Like 4

I keep my spec V bare bottom because of the issues you described. It also has basically 1 rock, so I just take the rock out if I need to. Sand and rock really know how to complicate things :P

• Like 1

That's what I did on my 20 was 5 gallons a week. I would also suck as much water out of the rear chambers to try and grab as much crap as I could out of there. Put in new floss and fill like you did with the stock pump. It also works good for mixing the water if you make it yourself.

Tank is coming along nicely!

• Like 1

That's what I did on my 20 was 5 gallons a week. I would also suck as much water out of the rear chambers to try and grab as much crap as I could out of there. Put in new floss and fill like you did with the stock pump. It also works good for mixing the water if you make it yourself.

Tank is coming along nicely!

OH damn, didn't even think of this. Might pull out my filter socks + siphon down in the back chamber a bit to keep that clean!! Good idea man! Thank you,

How would you start your siphon? (Use your mouth? Or another method?)

• Like 2

Yep just use your mouth. I have about 8 feet of tubing I use I think. I also have a small 3/8s tubing with a plastic straw attached to it and use that if going around sucking out detritus or other things. Stuff will accumulate in the back it is just a matter of time.

• Like 1