Top Shelf Aquatics

Kijho's IM Fusion 20

Kijho

Nice pictures!

You might like this heater just because it's so small: http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Electronic-Controller-Aquarium-20-Gallon/dp/B002YJW58K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457278509&sr=8-1&keywords=finnex+heater+50

They have them in all sizes and powers. Like you're planning, I set mine about a degree too high and let the Apex control it so it's always at just the right temperature.

For dosing, I use Seachem Reef Fusion 1 and 2. A lot of people also use B-Ionic. I use the Seachem just because I can get it cheap on Amazon and the Seachem stuff is usually good quality. Also, don't forget to check and dose magnesium, because it will get depleted too, and if your magnesium isn't high enough, it will prevent your calcium from getting to the proper level.

• Like 1

My most prized ricordia latched on last night!! I'm soooo happy!! Now I am going to try to get the other smaller little green ric' in this small cup to latch onto something hopefully, then it'll be the start of my little ric' island!!

Drove out today about 15 min drive to this LFS that farms acan's. Beautiful place, amazing acans.. but they were closed for some odd reason. :(

25740044566_822bcd9ddb_c.jpg

IMG_1370 by Spencer, on Flickr

Little clowns doing good, I've seen such a swing in my livestock since moving them from the Spec V. Honestly guys, I think the Spec V isn't a really good aquarium to have any fish in. Might be good for a little clown goby, but alone it would be so bored. I feel bad for having kept these two in there. I always though simply "they're swimming around and eating" then they must be good. But I can honestly say now after seeing how they act in the Nuvo 20, what a difference it makes in their behavior. I can't say I was right, because now I see there's more to their happiness I'd say than just moving/ eating etc.

25645140302_2392d29a37_c.jpgIMG_1374 by Spencer, on Flickr

I love this reef in my bedroom. Sitting from down low and seeing the water actually shimmer .. the Spec V pump was so weak and because of the way the filter is setup in the same chamber in the Spec V, that pump becomes clogged up very very very quickly. After a few weeks you have very little water movement on the surface of the Spec. This thing? Mesmerizing to watch especially sitting down on the floor from a lower angle and seeing the surface of the water.

25671031311_30836149eb_c.jpgIMG_1377 by Spencer, on Flickr

• Like 5

Glad things are going well! I noticed the same thing when I moved my baby clowns from the Spec V to my 75. They seemed sooo much happier.

Get a smaller heater =P.

Hahahaha new heater is top of the things to do :D I've just been so slow. Still fighting about once a week with this Hydor ATO but I just need to make it work :furious: .

My Par38 Halo from Fragbox suddenly stopped working today. Ughhhhhhh... Was working fine yesterday!! :(

Now it's powering on but all the LED's inside are super dim and flickering kind of. No :( I don't know how I'll find a new light in time I hope my frogspawn doesn't die :(

Elizabeth94

Oh no! Sorry about your lamp.. When I used to have heating lamps for my snakes they would burn out on a monthly basis. Now I have a radiant heat panel, should be good for constant use for at least 10yrs.. Not that this information is worth anything to you. Not like a heat panel will help light your tank..

I suppose you don't have a spare?

I've emailed the company (Fragbox in Toronto) to inquire if they have any sort of warranty, but it's probably less than 1 year and I've had this light for almost 2 years. I guess it's not expected to last forever, I don't have any spare.

I took the bulb off and unscrewed it took it apart checked on all the soldered connections and wiring inside but it all seems fine! There's a few capacitors though, they look alright but who knows visually doesn't mean much - they might be dead inside :( Too complex for me to rip apart any further than this though.

I kinda banged it around and it's come back on now, and it seems to be working now.. We'll see if it lasts and stays on - and if the company emails me back. I guess I could just get a new one $90 from them and call to get it shipped perhaps overnight. I think the corals can go 2-3 days without lights .. I can direct sunlight onto the tank too perhaps from the window with a mirror LOL.

I've messaged my buddy at the LFS too, see if he can get me 40% off on a Kessil 160.......... maybe......

I might try to fix my Par38 tomorrow morning, I'll see.. I think I have an idea to fix it. Fragbox responded to my email and kindly offered me a new bulb for a discounted price, which makes me very very very happy. I'll probably go for the new one but it may not arrive for up to a week so going to try to figure things out in the meantime either try to make-shift fix this one or borrow from someone I know!

In other (good) news, someone traded me their trunks of their car so I now have the massive spoiler back on my car.. :DB).

25787618500_523aced78c_c.jpg
IMG_1496 by Spencer, on Flickr

• Like 4

If looking at the Kessil I would recommend the 360 over the 160 for the Fusion. I had the 160 and then went to the 360 as there was just not enough light for me. I now run a AI Prime and it works but just not as much pop as the Kessil had.

Tank is coming along nicely.

Okay guys. I may have gone all out and picked up an AI Prime. Wow. This thing is ridiculous, it connects through wifi through the router and directly to this app on my phone. It's got lunar lights, weather, ramp timer, etc. Hanging from the ceiling was a pain, and it's like 1cm off from being direct center so I might eventually get annoyed by that and my OCD will kick in..

Pics to come. B)

• Like 2

Okay guys. I may have gone all out and picked up an AI Prime. Wow. This thing is ridiculous, it connects through wifi through the router and directly to this app on my phone. It's got lunar lights, weather, ramp timer, etc. Hanging from the ceiling was a pain, and it's like 1cm off from being direct center so I might eventually get annoyed by that and my OCD will kick in..

Pics to come. B)

Much nicer than the Par bulb ;) Set up was easy but am not a fan of the app compared to my ATI. It is nice and compact compared to the Kessil I had and I do like that. Looking forward to see what it looks like now.

Things have changed!! So I was at the LFS yesterday picking up some Seachem Fusion 1 & 2 to begin dosing it. (Side Q: Would I be better off dosing manually daily or adding some to my ATO reservoir?) I also picked up some new tongs, because tongs are probably one of the most useful tools in this hobby but sadly mine keep rusting and breaking apart after a month! So I picked up some better quality ones hopefully they last!

Then I got home and noticed my Par38 Halo LED wasn't on. So I thought maybe the timer was messed up and went to check on that. Turned it on / off, nothing happened. So I removed the bulb and put it in a lamp and it didn't come on at all! Broken!! Completely broken! The actually thread/ screw on the bulb looked broken, I'm not sure if it decided to break over time (2 years) I'm thinking perhaps due to the heat of the bulb? Anyways, I tried to take it apart and repair but literally there wasn't any real way I could fix it. So I did a little investigation and figured the AI Prime would be a fantastic little upgrade!!

25987287922_64b744afc0_c.jpgIMG_1519 by Spencer, on Flickr

26079814075_71b70a9284_c.jpgIMG_1523 by Spencer, on Flickr

Hanging mounting kit, which was outrageously priced at $60 wtf!

25475049184_fbafdd24fe_c.jpgIMG_1524 by Spencer, on Flickr

25987273712_f9e89eca3b_c.jpgIMG_1551 by Spencer, on Flickr

25987270762_e3063a38c3_c.jpgIMG_1556 by Spencer, on Flickr

Having a little bit of trouble getting the white balance right, but the photos' are shooting alot earlier with this light damn! The colors coming out are a bit more true, but it also depends on the angle I'm shooting..

26013459041_cf4694e218_c.jpgIMG_1558 by Spencer, on Flickr

This one I love. Straight from the camera, 40mm @ 2.8..

26079806375_279211b431_c.jpgIMG_1549 by Spencer, on Flickr

25806945130_1d278aa3b9_c.jpgIMG_1561 by Spencer, on Flickr

Corals are still opening back up after being without light for almost 2 days. Hoping to pickup some new corals in the coming month, I'd like to get my hands on a massive frogspawn or hammer colony. Suggestions on placement of a nice big one? :D

I love this AI light, damn!

25807195720_d239020bb1_c.jpgUntitled by Spencer, on Flickr

• Like 4
Cichlidrookie

Best upgrade ever. I have heard/read nothing but good things about the AI prime and phone app makes it even better. Congrats.

• Like 1

11204872_10153973818180309_1484384419477

Had this happen to 2 of my PAR lights over the last 2 years. What happens is for whatever reason(sometimes over tightening) The white spacer cracks that is suppose to keep the contact point stable and the contact point floats around causing the symptoms you described.

FIX..Take epoxy putty and form it around the contact point just like the spacer was. It holds the contact point rock solid. Then just don't screw the bulb in too tight.

• Like 1

Good morning guys, thanks for the kind words above - I love this light so much. It ramped down last night and seemed to go down as I was winding down for bed. (This tank is in my bedroom!) So it slowly faded out, changed color and became a little bit more orange/ red (red led was higher) and felt like sunset - so nice. Then by 8pm it was only 1 blue LED on at 5% or so and the tank just looked so incredible. Damn, I cannot wait to see this packed with corals guys!! I need to get some! It might just end up being a mixed reef, but I really love the corals I have so far: Euphyllia (all), ricordia (florida and yumas) and all acans .. Maybe this payday coming up I'll pick a couple nice quality pieces up and carefully place them in a nice spot!!

Also need to get some more CUC guys in there, only a few snails and a hermit right now and things are slowly starting to change color .. meaning time for more CUC!!! :D

Had this happen to 2 of my PAR lights over the last 2 years. What happens is for whatever reason(sometimes over tightening) The white spacer cracks that is suppose to keep the contact point stable and the contact point floats around causing the symptoms you described.

FIX..Take epoxy putty and form it around the contact point just like the spacer was. It holds the contact point rock solid. Then just don't screw the bulb in too tight.

Thank you! I did try to "repair" my light, what I did was try to remove that plastic piece out a bit and it ended up breaking more. The actual connector on the end is supposed to be screwed in right - and it connects directly to a wire. Well, upon investigation I notice the wire is disconnected entirely from the connector (and the connector can completely come out). Might be worthwhile to take it further apart and add more wire / solder to get the connector back in position and then might try that with some epoxy!! I could have a second little light then for backup which would be good!!

If all else fails I'll end up re-using the gooseneck with a Phillips Hue RBG bluetooth light bulb and use it somewhere else hahaha.. recently picked up some of this Hue lighting and it's so cool!

• Like 1

Good morning guys, thanks for the kind words above - I love this light so much. It ramped down last night and seemed to go down as I was winding down for bed. (This tank is in my bedroom!) So it slowly faded out, changed color and became a little bit more orange/ red (red led was higher) and felt like sunset - so nice. Then by 8pm it was only 1 blue LED on at 5% or so and the tank just looked so incredible. Damn, I cannot wait to see this packed with corals guys!! I need to get some! It might just end up being a mixed reef, but I really love the corals I have so far: Euphyllia (all), ricordia (florida and yumas) and all acans .. Maybe this payday coming up I'll pick a couple nice quality pieces up and carefully place them in a nice spot!!

Also need to get some more CUC guys in there, only a few snails and a hermit right now and things are slowly starting to change color .. meaning time for more CUC!!! :D

Thank you! I did try to "repair" my light, what I did was try to remove that plastic piece out a bit and it ended up breaking more. The actual connector on the end is supposed to be screwed in right - and it connects directly to a wire. Well, upon investigation I notice the wire is disconnected entirely from the connector (and the connector can completely come out). Might be worthwhile to take it further apart and add more wire / solder to get the connector back in position and then might try that with some epoxy!! I could have a second little light then for backup which would be good!!

If all else fails I'll end up re-using the gooseneck with a Phillips Hue RBG bluetooth light bulb and use it somewhere else hahaha.. recently picked up some of this Hue lighting and it's so cool!

Sounds like it may have cracked too far to do a good repair but why not try..

• Like 1
Cichlidrookie

Fix the light and put it back on your spec v and the spec v can be a frag tank. That is what my spec v is going to be eventually.

• Like 1