Top Shelf Aquatics

Kijho's IM Fusion 20

Kijho

You should!! It's super easy! There are a few iphone apps, too - but I couldn't get any of those to work and they were too complex for me. I'm in excel all day long at work, and I love its abilities with how I can track / manage literally anything in a spreadsheet!

I considered using an app like AquariMate but for what it costs I figure I should just take an hour out of my day to make up a spreadsheet. I'm in an out of spreadsheets all day also so figure it should be pretty easy to do. I might take a look at it over the weekend, seeing as my tank is still new I have less than a month of data to enter which is better than the 3 years I had on the 30G lol.

• Like 1

What happened with your car?

Dropping off at the body shop tomorrow! Going to take a week or so for the repairs, thankful to be finally getting it fixed!

• Like 2

Dropping off at the body shop tomorrow! Going to take a week or so for the repairs, thankful to be finally getting it fixed!

Glad to hear your finally getting it fixed! Did insurance drag their feet a bit? I remember you saying it got looked at pretty quickly.

• Like 1

Glad to hear your finally getting it fixed! Did insurance drag their feet a bit? I remember you saying it got looked at pretty quickly.

Ugh, it was the body shop that took their time actually (and my schedule). Kinda annoyed by them, they called my insurance today and told them I didn't drop my car off yet .. I'm like .. Yeah, you scheduled me for 7:30am. He said "no we didn't" .. I said "Well, I have the email in front of me from the rental car when you notified them for when I'd need picked up, says 7:30am tomorrow". *sigh*

Insurance .. I don't know. I'm very critical of these things because my day-job is a very demanding job in terms of being organized / ontop of things. My adjuster left or changed, so they didn't save the information, so I had to give them to paperwork again today which is fine I guess.. can't blame the new person who's taken my assignment over.

Main concern is dropping it off tomorrow, I could care less what they do after that hahaha :D As long as it's fixed!! I've been in 3 accidents in less than 10 months so :(

• Like 2

Ugh, it was the body shop that took their time actually (and my schedule). Kinda annoyed by them, they called my insurance today and told them I didn't drop my car off yet .. I'm like .. Yeah, you scheduled me for 7:30am. He said "no we didn't" .. I said "Well, I have the email in front of me from the rental car when you notified them for when I'd need picked up, says 7:30am tomorrow". *sigh*

Insurance .. I don't know. I'm very critical of these things because my day-job is a very demanding job in terms of being organized / ontop of things. My adjuster left or changed, so they didn't save the information, so I had to give them to paperwork again today which is fine I guess.. can't blame the new person who's taken my assignment over.

Main concern is dropping it off tomorrow, I could care less what they do after that hahaha :D As long as it's fixed!! I've been in 3 accidents in less than 10 months so :(

That's a seriously rough break dude, at least it's getting sorted now. From start to finish the repairs on my 86 took 3 months. Took almost 3 weeks for insurance to say they would repair and then 2 months to do the work and I had to take it back twice for them to fix shoddy work (the second time it was because they scratched up my new headlight really bad installing the bumper so I made them buff both headlights while I watched). The biggest hurdle was them sourcing a new headlight, at $800 a piece they didn't want to order the pair and there were no singles available. I ended up pointing them in the direction of an eBay sale for a rear end write off and they just purchased the headlight themselves and cancelled the order with Toyota Japan. Why should I have to do their work for them? The worst thing is, while the car is in the shop you are still paying insurance and paying the bank. All that money with no enjoyment lol.

• Like 1

I'm telling you, you need to do a dance around the car wearing feathers and shit.

voodoo_dance_sequence.jpg

• Like 2

:D Might have to do that once I get it back!! ;)

Anyone have any tips on the ATO + Tom's Aqua-lifter? It's sporadic, I think I'm right on the verge of the 10min fill maximum time-out limit. I must be hitting 9 minutes or something perhaps, or maybe the time is less than 10 .. but the past 3 days were perfect and I never once heard the alarm go off on the ATO. I come home today and it's going off, meaning it didn't fill fast enough!!

So I had the pump down literally sitting on-top of the ATO reservoir. I just moved the pump now to be up on the same level as the tank, and ran the tube down now (had to cut a longer length) to reach down to the reservoir. The tube then going in to the tank was shortened... maybe this will help? :(

• Like 1

I think you need a stronger pump with the Hydor. The toms is great but slow. Put a Cobalt 600 or something like that in there and fill it faster.

Naw, quite the opposite, I had to downgrade to the Toms, Hydor themselves advised me to.

The product has flaws - the biggest one being that the minimum level sensor is literally a hair below the maximum level. So unless it's sitting in a large surface area where the top off is pumped, the alarms go off rapidly.

• Like 3

Naw, quite the opposite, I had to downgrade to the Toms, Hydor themselves advised me to.

The product has flaws - the biggest one being that the minimum level sensor is literally a hair below the maximum level. So unless it's sitting in a large surface area where the top off is pumped, the alarms go off rapidly.

Well there you go.....I have never used the Hydor so run with Kats experience.

I just figured that the Toms was taking to long and setting off the alarm.....WTF do I know :lol:

• Like 1

Alarm was going off again when I came back from the gym, despite my plan B with having the pump moved / elevated. I think however a good idea is to SLANT the sensor at a slight angle so that there's less distance between min and max. I think this means the pump will be coming on more often (because a smaller decrease in water level will hit the min.) but this means less water needs to be pumped to reach the max.

How does this theory sound? Gah. My tank is just too high on the desk from the ATO but I really have no other options on placement!! :(

It's alarm because there's a time limit on how long it expects the pump to fill from minimum to maximum levels :(

sell it, buy new one. not worth the frustration.

The entire Hydor you mean? I don't mind the Hydor, would be hard to sell locally, SW' keeping seems so minimal up here where I live :(

Ayyyy I fixed it I think!! I have the sensor inside my back chamber at a fairly slanted angle now, so like I mentioned above there's less distance for the water to rise to go from the min. level to the max. level!! Hasn't gone off, and actually my water is at an even more consistent/ precise level as there's even less fluctuation!

Corals will begin transfer asap. I feel bad for the Spec V, since I took the fish out - I think nothing has been eating the pods .. and the pods are now fiending on a few of the zoa's and one of my acan's.. like they literally ate an entire acan. There's about 5 or 6 of these massive pods on this coral, yuck :(

• Like 2

A little somethin' special to share with all my NR friends! Can't believe after my YWG has been in the new tank for about ~2 Weeks now, she has regained all her color back!! She's completely yellow now, a nice dark rich yellow color to her entire body!! I think this is a HUGE indicator of the stress endured being in such a small Spec V 5 Gal tank..

24991742399_b28e85b048_c.jpgIMG_1294 by Spencer, on Flickr

25359382955_4c92bded90_c.jpgIMG_1285 by Spencer, on Flickr

Fully YELLOW!!!

25359386975_8d6d4ab7a4_c.jpgIMG_1278 by Spencer, on Flickr

Here's a recent (older, 2 months or so) photo of her, the last photo I took when she was in the Spec V. I'm saying she's a she - because I read online that the female YWG's will change color from yellow to a darker color.. but, I don't know what to think now that she's become yellow again ever since moving into the Fusion 20!!

23431217656_7b616d0bf5_c.jpgIMG_0540 by Spencer, on Flickr

24732653953_2abb578aff_c.jpgIMG_1245 by Spencer, on Flickr

25266327721_74592a49f3_c.jpgIMG_1264 by Spencer, on Flickr

I managed to keep my most prized corals. My red with lime green acan, my frogspawn which my clownfish were hosting in my Spec V (which they're already getting back into in the Fusion 20 now that I moved it over!!!!) and I moved my metallic green/ yellow ricordia. This may be all that I transfer, with some of the snails I'm just waiting to move over. I might not keep the snails though, I might bring some back as a few have some tube worms on their shell. I might try to just razor blade and cut them off though when I transfer them.

• Like 4

Looks great, and I'm so happy to see the YWG doing so well!

I had the same troubles with my hydor/tom's ATO. Over the course of about a year, the tom's would pump slower and slower, until finally it couldn't pump fast enough to fill the tank before the hydor timed out. I got a new Tom's, it worked great again, and then a little less than a year later it had slowed down and wouldn't work any more. And like Kat said, the difference in water level between min and max is so small that mine was always alarming any time I put my hand in the tank.

Having said all that, it does have a pretty small sensor, and a new tom's is under $20 on Amazon. So it's not that big a deal.

I don't think moving the pump itself will help with the flow rate, because what really matters is the height difference between the ATO container and the outlet of the ATO line over the tank (this is called "head"). The more head, the bigger the weight of the water the pump has to lift, and the slower it will pump. So if you raise the ATO container, even by several inches, it could make a difference in the flow rate.

Btw, I also recommend aquaticlog.com. It's easy to use and set up, it's free, and it has apps for iPhone and Android. It will give you graphs of your parameters and track maintenance and dosing if you want.

• Like 2

Thanks Teeny, I really appreciate your continuous suggestions and support!! :)

Things are doing very well in this Fusion 20. The Spec V will formally be retired by the end of this week I think. I might donate some of the remaining snails to the LFS, or I may try to scrub their shells with a toothbrush .. I'm worried of bringing over any pests that could be on their shells. After a week or straight neglect, the Spec V has been literally overtaken by aiptasia.

My new filter socks arrived today. I'll simply be placing my media + filter floss in the socks! With my DIY Egg crate racks.. The way the water flows in through the back has only gotten louder I think.. it's the way the water hits the egg crate and creates a back splash, bouncing back off the wall, then, the crate, and then presumably thru the filter media I have setup. It's a very loud trickle and is quite consistent. Hoping with the socks I can stuff some filter floss and it'll workout then. My only annoyance is now I will need to re-align my ATO because the water level will change by removing the racks!! Damn!...

Also looking at potentially picking up a cheaper Marineland heater that is small and will fit the back chamber. I don't need a fancy heater with fancy thermometer anymore because I will just set it to a higher temp. and let the temp. controller take full control. Water is always 77-78 which is amazing!!

Corals are all doing so good, too! Thinking I may dose Alk for this tank.. I already add a few drops of Calcium when doing WC's (atleast on the Spec V), .. I'm not sure what product exactly people use to add/ dose Alk??

• Like 1