Pod Your Reef

Kijho's IM Fusion 20

Kijho

Only problem is the Smart ATO Micro is more expensive (I have to buy from USA online about $140CDN) and then shipping ($30 reg, $50 expedited), + import duties & taxes would bring me to $200 for the Smart ATO! :(

Someone is locally selling a 36" Current USA Orbit LED w/ ramp timer! :'( I messaged them, someone has already put dibs and it supposed to pick it up from them tonight. They're selling for $80!!!!! Insane oh man... I said I'd offer to pay more, haha.. They said person is already coming from out of town so they can't. But, if the person doesn't show up.. they'll let me know.

Here's how I'm going to track params! :)

zWAiZrU.png

• Like 1

Thanks guys :)

Would the 'Tom's Aqualifter' be recommended for my ATO pump? Is there anything specific I should know when setting up the ATO in terms of safety etc.

Thanks guys :)

Would the 'Tom's Aqualifter' be recommended for my ATO pump? Is there anything specific I should know when setting up the ATO in terms of safety etc.

I think lots of people use that pump, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

When the water level in your ATO reservoir is higher than were it pumps the water into it may create a siphon, but since you have an AIO, you shouldn't have that problem. I'm guessing the reservoir will go in the stand?

Personally I would make sure that if the ATO pump refuses to turn off, that there isn't so much water in the reservoir that it will make your tank overflow.

• Like 1

Well, I'm planning to use a 5G food grade for reservoir.. but really, the water line is like 1" from the top so any water added would really cause the Fusion 20 to overflow! :(

Well, I'm planning to use a 5G food grade for reservoir.. but really, the water line is like 1" from the top so any water added would really cause the Fusion 20 to overflow! :(

Still 1 gallon on the floor is better then 5 ;) you don't have to fill it all the way. Maybe check what kind of safety your ATO has built in

• Like 1

Still 1 gallon on the floor is better then 5 ;) you don't have to fill it all the way. Maybe check what kind of safety your ATO has built in

It does have an alarm, I'm not sure if it would auto shut-off though when the alarm goes? Hydor Auto, I'm not sure ... hmm..

Is there some form of one way valve that could be put in the line to prevent backflow siphon into the reservoir?

When setting up the ATO just do not put the tube into the water in the back of the tank. Get a clamp that you can just put the tube over the back and call it good. This way there is no way it can siphon if it is not touching the water. And I think the Toms pump would work great.

• Like 1

I'm fairly surprised by my params, since the Prodibio I've been ghost feeding flake/ pellets dailys - and I've been fairly generous, too.

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

Alkalinity: 8 (I'm going to change the format I record this in, because that seems to be the most common!)

• Like 1

When setting up the ATO just do not put the tube into the water in the back of the tank. Get a clamp that you can just put the tube over the back and call it good. This way there is no way it can siphon if it is not touching the water. And I think the Toms pump would work great.

The Tom's pump works fine with my Hydor. But I'm on my second one and it just quit working. Both times it just slowed down to a trickle. :(

• Like 3

The Tom's pump works fine with my Hydor. But I'm on my second one and it just quit working. Both times it just slowed down to a trickle. :(

Same experience. Mine drips out at a painfully slow rate.

• Like 2

My ATO and my Temp. Controller all arrived yesterday!! Plus my filter media.. I'm contemplating now just buying the InTank baskets ... why not! I still have to go pickup a pump for the ATO however, and some way to mount it.. perhaps there's something the LFS has for dosing that I could use to clamp the ATO feed in. I'm going to have that sit on the second chamber because it never rises higher than the edge. I'll have the sensor in the very middle return chamber.

Transferred over my YWG. Perhaps it's too early, I haven't seen any params increase or changes what so ever.. but perhaps the Prodibio is doing exactly what it claims and "cycling" so fast for me I didn't even catch it? It says literally "add fish in 24 hours" which I didn't believe initially.. He seems to be doing fantastic, although lonely perhaps..

iwEMCdJ.png

• Like 3

FWIW: Keep testing and go slow. I think pellets take a while to break down. If you haven't had any ammonia you haven't had a cycle yet. Although it's possible that you missed it and depending on your test kit it may not pick up small amounts on nitrates. If your tank doesn't have nitrates I'm not sure how you can know if the tank is ready. I'm sure the YWG should be fine. People used to cycle with fish! Although it is frowned upon these days...

Pretty exciting stuff! How is the temp controller?

• Like 1

Do you check out reefsupplies.ca or jlaquatics? With the dollar being so poor right now I find reefsupplies to be one of the cheaper websites in Canada.

ReefSupplies has the IM Auqa 20 baskets at $33/ea + free shipping, but not sure.. Would anyone tell me the InTank ones are better (which would be closer to $45ea. + shipping from USA?)

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Innovative-Marine-AUQA-Gadget-CustomCaddy-20-Media-Basket.html

FWIW: Keep testing and go slow. I think pellets take a while to break down. If you haven't had any ammonia you haven't had a cycle yet. Although it's possible that you missed it and depending on your test kit it may not pick up small amounts on nitrates. If your tank doesn't have nitrates I'm not sure how you can know if the tank is ready. I'm sure the YWG should be fine. People used to cycle with fish! Although it is frowned upon these days...

Pretty exciting stuff! How is the temp controller?

Thanks man!! Haven't tested it yet, really - I'm hoping to pickup a NeoTherm 75w soon.. then I'll connect it to the back of that! I don't really like the Eheim hanging on the back wall right now haha...

Goby's doing great so far, I think the Prodibio cycled the tank perhaps. Maybe not a true/ real cycle though, I might still get a spike in params at some point and it could be unexpected - I'm ready for WC's though at any time now with SW + RODI on hand!! :) Excited to get my ATO setup soon though.. This tank is harder to keep up with top ups than the Spec V that's forsure.

Do you think the plans look good in terms of sensor + tube placement? ATO in middle, tube in the second chamber?

There might be a small benefit to the inTank basket but honestly is it going to make or break your tank.... no. The inTank basket for the Fusion 20 is $41 USD so $58 CAD, more like $60 plus because your bank will charge a higher interest rate. Then there's shipping and possibly duty fees on top of that. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

There might be a small benefit to the inTank basket but honestly is it going to make or break your tank.... no. The inTank basket for the Fusion 20 is $41 USD so $58 CAD, more like $60 plus because your bank will charge a higher interest rate. Then there's shipping and possibly duty fees on top of that. Just my 2 cents.

So I should just order the IM version of them hey, so much cheaper.. I'm only planning floss + chemi + puri

I think the final cost for the inTank basket to Alberta would cost you around $75 to $85. For me I'd order the IM version.

PS how do you like that WRX, I miss the wagons. I have an Outback 3.6r now not quite a sportscar, more of a grandpa machine but I love it.

• Like 1

ReefSupplies has the IM Auqa 20 baskets at $33/ea + free shipping, but not sure.. Would anyone tell me the InTank ones are better (which would be closer to $45ea. + shipping from USA?)

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Innovative-Marine-AUQA-Gadget-CustomCaddy-20-Media-Basket.html

Thanks man!! Haven't tested it yet, really - I'm hoping to pickup a NeoTherm 75w soon.. then I'll connect it to the back of that! I don't really like the Eheim hanging on the back wall right now haha...

Goby's doing great so far, I think the Prodibio cycled the tank perhaps. Maybe not a true/ real cycle though, I might still get a spike in params at some point and it could be unexpected - I'm ready for WC's though at any time now with SW + RODI on hand!! :) Excited to get my ATO setup soon though.. This tank is harder to keep up with top ups than the Spec V that's forsure.

Do you think the plans look good in terms of sensor + tube placement? ATO in middle, tube in the second chamber?

Sounds good to me. Might be able to use a clothes pin or something like that to keep the tube in place?

So I should just order the IM version of them hey, so much cheaper.. I'm only planning floss + chemi + puri

Have you checked for any good DIY media baskets?

I think the final cost for the inTank basket to Alberta would cost you around $75 to $85. For me I'd order the IM version.

PS how do you like that WRX, I miss the wagons. I have an Outback 3.6r now not quite a sportscar, more of a grandpa machine but I love it.

The exchange rate is just terrible! Like you said earlier, JL Aquatics and reef supplies are the way to go!

• Like 2

I have the inTank baskets and they really fit nice in the back chambers. Unlike the stock baskets that sort of slide around and leave a lot of empty room.

I would try to find someone who had the IM baskets to be sure.

• Like 1

Great start! Ive also used Prodibio. March from Fragbox here in Toronto got me using it. The stuff wont work unless you add the fish because it needs a heavier ammonia source to feed off of. I would not worry at all unless you add an entire stocking plan at once.

Also i would check out the filter socks on reef supplies- http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Innovative-Marine-200-Micron-Filter-Sock-DeskTop.html

Thats what I went to use before I sold my tank. They are also washing machine friendly. Get some chemi pure blue nano. Put 2 pouches in each sock and let it do its thing!

• Like 1