Cultivated Reef

FW Planted 5.5g Custom OceanBox/Nano Box Build

NYfishies

Looks like it is coming off the plants/rocks/wood. Maybe algae?

If you can see the source, and it's plant matter, then the plant is releasing O2. Usually this happens if it's doing so well with the CO2 that it's saturated (pearling), or if the plant is injured (bent somewhere) and the O2 is released. I don't use CO2, so if I see a tiny stream of bubbles I will assume one of the corydoras bumped into a vallisneria blade too hard :P

If you see it coming out of the substrate, then it's likely your bacteria or the plant roots are causing some air build-up. Whether that's made of nitrogen gas (hooray, denitrification), hydrogen sulfide, etc, is a whole other game.

Don't know what to tell you if it's coming out of the rock, and not just underneath it. And if any wood in there is already soaked through, it shouldn't be releasing air unless that somehow built up again..

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can see the source, and it's plant matter, then the plant is releasing O2. Usually this happens if it's doing so well with the CO2 that it's saturated (pearling), or if the plant is injured (bent somewhere) and the O2 is released. I don't use CO2, so if I see a tiny stream of bubbles I will assume one of the corydoras bumped into a vallisneria blade too hard :P

If you see it coming out of the substrate, then it's likely your bacteria or the plant roots are causing some air build-up. Whether that's made of nitrogen gas (hooray, denitrification), hydrogen sulfide, etc, is a whole other game.

Don't know what to tell you if it's coming out of the rock, and not just underneath it. And if any wood in there is already soaked through, it shouldn't be releasing air unless that somehow built up again..

There were tiny air bubbles on the surface on the branch so I presumed it was due to algae growth (which also is occurring on the rocks although I did not see air bubbles). It there randomly comes from the bottom which I believe is from the plants and not the soil.

In that case, I'd totally believe that the algae is doing the pearling (they're very annoyingly efficient :) ), and plants' roots or the substrate are making air pockets.

Wow this little tank looks great. Id totally make a FW planted but i know id get bored of it fast lol.

It is actually quite enjoyable. Piece of cake to care for compared to the reefs. I find myself enjoying the process of trimming. It is sort of like sculpting with a very fresh plant and soil scent. :) I love the fact that I can cut and throw away excess plant growth. Totally different concept to aquascaping than reef tanks with corals. Also, the fresh water fish seem to have more energy and personality than the salt water fish.

In that case, I'd totally believe that the algae is doing the pearling (they're very annoyingly efficient :) ), and plants' roots or the substrate are making air pockets.

Is this a good thing? lol

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

Have not updated this for awhile, but the tank is doing pretty good! Dealing with different types of algae and suicidal shrimp, but other than that this is a piece of art in our living room.

28770556084_3410f57189_b.jpg

28773083093_278711341f_b.jpg
28770554784_d4c8736dd9_b.jpg
28773083643_38ed614bed_b.jpg
29394717715_334a66107f_b.jpg
29360403356_a39a9bdd23_b.jpg
28773084043_dcde56ba0c_b.jpg
28770555414_883bb855df_b.jpg
29360405326_708099946c_b.jpg
29394717865_5012ce155c_b.jpg
29315140551_0fb5297866_b.jpg
29360406276_b5441b9dd6_b.jpg
Here is a terrarium my girlfriend just started last weekend. Looks cool so far!
28770553124_e9d710fd3d_b.jpg
And her orchid loving life!
29360402406_d985d865af_b.jpg
28773082413_0bffe9201d_b.jpg
29106418930_389183c6f6_b.jpg

How did I miss this thread? Awesome tank!! It has filled in very nicely and I'm loving the dwarf water lettuce on the surface.

I have a low tech planted setup and am battling severe BBA, so I'm jealous :P .

How did I miss this thread? Awesome tank!! It has filled in very nicely and I'm loving the dwarf water lettuce on the surface.

I have a low tech planted setup and am battling severe BBA, so I'm jealous :P .

Thanks! I cut away the plants infected with BBA and have already completely tossed a plant because of it. I really need a better CUC, but waiting for the surface to cover a bit more prior to adding (my last 2 ghost shrimp jumped after 1 day).

I'm gonna need some of that water lettuce, stat.

Soon as I get all this stupid duckweed out of the tank; where did it even come from :rant:

I do not think that is water lettuce. My mom has that on her pond at their house and it looks much different. Literally looks like a half head of lettuce floating on water. I am pretty sure what I have is just a form of miniature Lilly pads. They grow like crazy for me so I would be HAPPY to give you some Maria! Just let me know and I can bring next time we hang out in NY (because the next time we see each other will be at MACNAAAAAA!)

I'm pretty sure 'dwarf water lettuce' isn't actual water lettuce, but don't quote me, I just need it! :)

There was talk of a girls' night and manicures/margaritas? 8D

(So excited for MACNA. So terrified for my wallet.)

I'm pretty sure 'dwarf water lettuce' isn't actual water lettuce, but don't quote me, I just need it! :)

There was talk of a girls' night and manicures/margaritas? 8D

(So excited for MACNA. So terrified for my wallet.)

Haha well you, Kat and Sarah will have fun doing that! I will stay home with the fishies or maybe Axle and I will find some nice red wine!

You know, I like the sound of Dwarf Water Lettuce so the heck with it I will just call it that! :happydance:

Planted tank looks awesome, id totally start one but id get bored of it too quickly lol. :rolleyes:

My favorite part is that even if mayhem rains (reigns? English is hard and I have five languages in my head) down in the saltwater tank, the freshwater tank just.. keeps on keeping on. So I can feed the tetras and watch them dart for pellets and not worry too much. Also, I can laugh at the corydoras who like to dart to the surface and gulp down air a couple of times a day, because they make a funny noise. >>

-is a child-

My favorite part is that even if mayhem rains (reigns? English is hard and I have five languages in my head) down in the saltwater tank, the freshwater tank just.. keeps on keeping on. So I can feed the tetras and watch them dart for pellets and not worry too much. Also, I can laugh at the corydoras who like to dart to the surface and gulp down air a couple of times a day, because they make a funny noise. >>

-is a child-

Yea but thats why they are boring to me. Even though saltwater is a huuuuuge PITA its those same issues that keep me intrigued. Having to test and change and clean and maintain are what keeps me hooked and then the results from proper husbandry. Freshwater its like, add water - feed - done.

Planted tank looks awesome, id totally start one but id get bored of it too quickly lol. :rolleyes:

I only do maintaince on Sunday for about 30 min. That involved trimming back plants, tearing out plants, 50-75% water change and wiping down the walls. Outside of that I feed once a day and dose 1 ml of ferts once a day.

The rest of the time it sits there as living art. Gives the room (which has 2 reefs tanks in it as well) a certain feel of nature. Even if you do not stare at the tank and drool over the beauty of corals I find this tank very relaxing to look at each day after work and before bed.

Also, it smells like pure nature when standing near the tank.

Yea but thats why they are boring to me. Even though saltwater is a huuuuuge PITA its those same issues that keep me intrigued. Having to test and change and clean and maintain are what keeps me hooked and then the results from proper husbandry. Freshwater its like, add water - feed - done.

I agree with this as why I love saltwater. The sense of accomplishment after years of learning will only get better.

Looks like the tanks bowing at the sides or is that just me? :scarry:

Hmm I have never noticed that at all! Cripes now I am anxious to go home and look!!!!!!!

Hmm I have never noticed that at all! Cripes now I am anxious to go home and look!!!!!!!

Hope its just the angle of the photo but idk they look like its bowing

Looks like the tanks bowing at the sides or is that just me? :scarry:

Bowing with acrylic tank is typical over an extended time without bracing. From now on display tank will be braced.

Bowing with acrylic tank is typical over an extended time without bracing. From now on display tank will be braced.

Should I be concerned? The tank is only 6 months wet.

Should I be concerned? The tank is only 6 months wet.

Since your tank is small so I wouldn't be concerned. I've seen a big planted tank at Petco using 3/8" acrylic that bowed like crazy to the point that I felt unsafe, yet its been over 5 yrs since and it's still running. Next time im there I'll snap some shots for you, that tank must be around 75-100gal with 3 sections.

Archived