Top Shelf Aquatics

LDD for Fans?

mlivvy

I have the Bluefish Mini and it's an excellent product. I enjoy the features and the new app.

I have a question about adding fans. I'm using the mini with a coralux ldd 4up board. I can't find much info on it but I do remember reading that someone powered a fan from one of the bluefish channels and an LDD. I believe they purchased an extra 2up board and added the fans to that board. If this is possible can someone confirm it and tell me which LDD would achieve this? I'm using the Rapidled premium enclosure with a single 12v fan.

jedimasterben

Not an LDD, it is a Meanwell SCW. There are lots of models of that to fit different voltages and such, so let us know what your setup is like, and you will need an SCW converter board from O2Surplus, which will allow you to do PWM on the fan from the Mini.

jedimasterben

Ok, that works :)

You have a couple of options - buy a 2up LDD board from Rapid and get an LDD->SCW converter from O2Surplus, or you could buy one of O2's 6up LDD boards that has two slots for SCW and the BF mini mounts directly to. He sells these for $30. The SCW converters not only power the fans, but they also power the BF Mini and Arduino Nano directly, so you do not need external 5v power, they feed right from the 48v supply. This is probably your best option.

Ok, that works :)

You have a couple of options - buy a 2up LDD board from Rapid and get an LDD->SCW converter from O2Surplus, or you could buy one of O2's 6up LDD boards that has two slots for SCW and the BF mini mounts directly to. He sells these for $30. The SCW converters not only power the fans, but they also power the BF Mini and Arduino Nano directly, so you do not need external 5v power, they feed right from the 48v supply. This is probably your best option.

That is exactly what I was going to say. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Ok I purchased the o2surplus board with the SCW slot and added an SCW.

now_what_finding_nemo.gif

I was poking around the bluefish app but I rather ask then blow something up. How do I configure the fan now?

jedimasterben

Add a pin to one of the channels on the 'fan enable' and then the Mini will control the fan on that channel. It can also be a channel that you're using for LEDs, it doesn't matter, it can piggyback off of it.

Add a pin to one of the channels on the 'fan enable' and then the Mini will control the fan on that channel. It can also be a channel that you're using for LEDs, it doesn't matter, it can piggyback off of it.

Ok it's very possible i'm overthinking this but... What pin? Fan enable? i'm lost. And I don't see anything in the documentation.

jedimasterben

Ok it's very possible i'm overthinking this but... What pin? Fan enable? i'm lost. And I don't see anything in the documentation.

Sorry, a jumper, not a pin. Like this:

ldd%252520example%2525203.png

• 2 weeks later...
701Superjet

Sorry I don't have my BF yet. So if you put the jumper on pin 6 like in your picture then can the channel 6 directly control a 12v fan? Or do you still use a separate pwm controller?

jedimasterben

Sorry I don't have my BF yet. So if you put the jumper on pin 6 like in your picture then can the channel 6 directly control a 12v fan? Or do you still use a separate pwm controller?

The O2surplus boards have an Arduino built-in to up the frequency for fan control, and putting the jumper on that channel will simply piggyback that channel on the Bluefish and also send it to the Arduino for fan control. Then whatever you set for channel six will be translated to a pulsed 12v output to the fan.

Sorry, a jumper, not a pin. Like this:

ldd%252520example%2525203.png

Just to make I am getting this, the configuration is:

Channel 6 on the BF MINI is controlling LDDs 4,5,6 and the fan

Channel 3 on the BF MINI is controlling LDDs 1,2,3

Channels 1, 2, 4, & 5 are not being used by this Board. You can daisy chain the O2 boards so the BF MINI is controlling a second O2 Board but you can change the configuration on that board to whatever you want (Channels 3 & 6 will be governed by the same settings on each board tho via the BF MINI).

I haven't tried the gang selection or daisy-chaining 2 boards yet.

Archived