SaltCritters.com

Drew's 5.5 gallon pico reef [BackFromTheDead]

dferrari13

(Note:This tank has been refurbished as of Dec 2019, forward to page 3 for new tank.)

20160117_182624_zpsrl9uqjvu.jpg

Oddly enough..this tank is located in my bathroom and it's doing great so far...it's been up and running for a little over 7 months now...so far so good..it's my second small reef tank...my other is a nuvo fusion 10 gallon reef setup

20160117_182604_zpsl4mbgxh5.jpg

Wheeler goby

• Like 3

Updated 4/1/15:

I have this running on a hagen aquaclear 30 gallon filter with chemi-pure blue nano/purgen/phosGuard...Tunze Mini pump 5024.040_A (very nice tiny poverhead type pump for caves or bottom flow)... Neo Thermal Heater...and the innovative marine skkye light 18 watt LED...with Smart ATO micro...use Nurti-Sea Water for all water changes...dosing with Red Sea Reef Energy A and B...also use purple up and oyster eggs

Roughly 6 pounds of live rock

2 inches of live sand bed

About 3 species of mushrooms

About 5 species of zoos

War brain coral

Yellow Fiji toadstool coral

Star polyps

Pipe Organ

Pink Xenias

Green Star Polyps

Blenny

2 Cerith snails

Sexy Shrimp

2 turbo snails

2 dwarf zebra hermit crabs

20160124_153358_zpszov0az92.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks...I don't think I've ever seen some one have a nano reef tank in there bathroom...so my friends get a kick outta that....my girlfriend didn't want me to get any more tanks (cause I had 4 tanks already)....so i started out by telling her it was a quarantine tank...she slowly realized it was not a quarantine tank lmao. She was mad at first but now she admits that she likes it

Actually....the wheeler goby just jumped out of the tank today....luckily my girlfriend was in the bathroom at the time and we were able to throw him back in and he's fine....gotta make a tighter lid

Cencalfishguy56

Thanks...I don't think I've ever seen some one have a nano reef tank in there bathroom...so my friends get a kick outta that....my girlfriend didn't want me to get any more tanks (cause I had 4 tanks already)....so i started out by telling her it was a quarantine tank...she slowly realized it was not a quarantine tank lmao. She was mad at first but now she admits that she likes it

Actually....the wheeler goby just jumped out of the tank today....luckily my girlfriend was in the bathroom at the time and we were able to throw him back in and he's fine....gotta make a tighter lid

lol I feel your pain man, my girlfriend always complained with even one tank well simply because we all know this hobby takes time haha plus it gets addictive planning your next purchase and plans

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
rum_pride

I really like the scape, it makes the tank look a lot larger than 5.5, that cove in the back corner is really nice.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
dferrari13

Dwarf zebra hermit

20160516_172024_zpsntfi1qrd.jpg

Metallic Green Pipe Organ

20160516_172148_zpsvnx1xyio.jpg

Xenias

20160516_172226_zpsqhbqnszm.jpg

Blue yellow tailed Damsel

20160516_1730290_zpseonsigao.jpg

Fiji Toadstool Leather

20160804_212555_zpsd2e3jw9o.jpg

Green rhodactis mushroom

20160804_212630_zpsgjrer9ai.jpg

Zoas

20160804_212607_zps0djzuoqf.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
JakeJekel37

So is your flow solely provided by the AC30? And how do you like the Smart ATO Micro?

This is a gorgeous tank. I'm about to start up a 10 gallon zoa/paly/shroom only tank, but may go with a 5.5 instead. I've got both tanks just sitting unused right now.

• Like 1

So is your flow solely provided by the AC30? And how do you like the Smart ATO Micro?

This is a gorgeous tank. I'm about to start up a 10 gallon zoa/paly/shroom only tank, but may go with a 5.5 instead. I've got both tanks just sitting unused right now.

Thanks....The smart ATO works great...although I have the supply tube set up like this so it doesn't have any chance to start a siphon and suck water out of my tank....

20160804_211454_zpsynvl3azq.jpg

Besides the AC30 I also use a small micro pump called the Tunze Mini pump 5024.040_A (very nice tiny poverhead type pump for caves or bottom flow)

Nice bathroom tank lol

What's the slim black box on the right side?

I just set up my 5.5, and I'm trying to figure out the best place for my AC. Do you like yours on the back? I'm thinking about moving mine to the side

Do you have any problems with the mini Tunze pump's limited spread?

Pipe Organ corals are known for being difficult to keep, I hope yours recovers! I've never had one, but maybe searching the threads (or google) will help

• Like 1

Nice bathroom tank lol

What's the slim black box on the right side?

I just set up my 5.5, and I'm trying to figure out the best place for my AC. Do you like yours on the back? I'm thinking about moving mine to the side

Do you have any problems with the mini Tunze pump's limited spread?

Pipe Organ corals are known for being difficult to keep, I hope yours recovers! I've never had one, but maybe searching the threads (or google) will help

Thanks yoshi!!...The slim black thing on the right side is my neo Therm heater...love it so far despite all the problems I read about it...some people reported it exploding...but my has been fine and I like that it's so thin.....I do like my AC in the back center cause it really gives an even dispersion of water flow.... and I mainly use the tunze mini pump so that I don't get dead spots behind my rock work

20160810_193806_zpsooieayoy.jpg

I think my pipe organ may be slowly coming back...fingers crossed....can anyone ID the plant growth on this coral...could that be killing it off??

Closeup shot of my GSP

20160810_194339_zpssjtd6s7d.jpg

Might be caulerpa.

If you come into Manhattan, bunch of us are having drinks this Friday in Midtown.

Thanks so much for the invite but I'm having some people over at my place in jersey friday night...midtown bars are awesome though

Do you think I should be alarmed about the Caulerpa racemosa?? I've read some horror stories and I've also read alot of good things too...so not sure what to think...it's very small as of now

• Like 1
  • dferrari13 changed the title to Drew's 5.5 gallon pico reef [BackFromTheDead]