ReefCleaners.org

El Jefe's 3.7 Gallon Cylinder Tank - Now With Corals!

El_Jefe

brandon, how much water would you need to leave if you have a cuc? 

I'm going to guess that snails and crabs can likely be out of water for a short period, like coral...not so much shrimp though? 

I'd be comfortable with a weekly 75% change. :)  

6 hours ago, brandon429 said:

right now I was just reading A Berry's jar thread and the last post mentions a dead anemone, and the resulting swoop water change / CPR and that's excellent habit. got something offensive in a pico reef's water? hit the reset button, water becomes instantly fresh reef crystals or IO or oceanic or fritz salt etc thank you for feedback!  I used to practice partial water changes too after reading about system upsets etc. then one day I pushed it to 75% and felt like Id cheated doom. im making a video soon that shows me simply draining my whole tank to zero, leaving all corals in the air for 25 mins (vid sped up that segment w time clock in background) then refilled with 100% new water, there's always ways to keep pushing how we condition these little tanks very neat flexibility they have. my current record for drain air time is 35 mins and that seemed to really push things lol, w do 25 for the vid its plenty good enough to show strength in these systems.

anyones pico here can do it, mine's not tuned specially. has to be fishless though, for obvious reasons lol

I've taken my rocks and corals out of my bowl for 15-20 minutes...no problems other than there being a little more slime swirling around in the bowl for a period of time after I put them back in. Mostly from the acans I think. It's gone in a couple of hours. 

More recently, to avoid this, I take them out of the bowl and put them in the bucket of newly mixed water while I clean the bowl. This way I feel a little less rushed siphoning the sand and completely cleaning the glass, heater, and airline. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Friendly said:

brandon, how much water would you need to leave if you have a cuc? 

I'm going to guess that snails and crabs can likely be out of water for a short period, like coral...not so much shrimp though? 

I'd be comfortable with a weekly 75% change. :)  

My snails were sometimes on my rocks when I was taking them out of the bowl during water changes. They were fine in the air for the short time they were out. 

I also had a anemone shrimp for a short  period of time (lived several weeks) and was leaving an inch of water in the bowl for it. I don't have any evidence but I think water changes were hard on it and contributed to its demise as

it died suddenly after one. I am still reluctant to get another one because of it. 

brandon429

This is pretty neat info about draining our tanks. Given enough time all Pico reefers will discover these similarities which initially seemed at odds with greater Reef keeping

The reason I do it is to demonstrate the ability we have it to clean these and access these tanks without causing a recycle, it builds confidence

Strong water changes of any percentage are just fine and I wouldn't drain it all the way if I had fish. 

Here's a video of a drain and my coral banded shrimp Simply hung out for 20 minutes LOL

PS turn your speakers down I never said I was a music editor

A surprising amount of the cleanup crew members we use come from high energy reef zones that have natural air exposure anyway

• Like 1

I have a small watchman goby that has made a burrow under one of my live rocks. Every time I go to change the water, it darts under the rock and I leave enough water to keep his burrow wet (maybe all of 1/2" above the sand). I clean the glass rock as best as I can with it still in, then refill. Usually I get some slime but nothing too bad. My hermit crab and couple snails usually drop into the small amount of water as well. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator
16 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

This was such a cool pico tank @El_Jefe, this deserves a bump! 

It was, thanks for bumping. I would've probably never seen this without it. 

Can we get an update??? 🙂 

• Like 1