Top Shelf Aquatics

AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro

texanreefer

• 1 month later...

`Here is a picture

I can't tell from your pic but did you have to scrape some black off of the back of the tank? I'm considering the AutoAqua for a Cad Lights 18g and I'm wondering how I can keep the sensor out of the display area?

https://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=61_63&products_id=303&zenid=da5add32385741b4051acc37f1b31fbb

Anyone have this tank with some input?

Can someone tell me what's the difference between SMART ATO and SMART ATO Micro other than the size?

I am planning to use it in IM Fusion 40 AIO tank. My store has the SMART ATO on sale and the price difference between the SMART ATO and SMART ATO Micro is $20.

Please help explain the difference. I tried to google it but no one comparing them.

• Like 1

Can someone tell me what's the difference between SMART ATO and SMART ATO Micro other than the size?

I am planning to use it in IM Fusion 40 AIO tank. My store has the SMART ATO on sale and the price difference between the SMART ATO and SMART ATO Micro is $20.

Please help explain the difference. I tried to google it but no one comparing them.

I have and use both. Here's my opinions, maybe someone else with chime in:

The Smart ATO is slightly bigger, uses optics through the glass (so you need to put it on a clear portion of glass). It comes with a screw clamp to hold the tubing for water onto the edge of your tank.

Pro: Stronger magnet, Con: It's bigger, doesn't have a timer to stop overfilling

The Micro one is very tiny, the sensor goes in the tank, held on by a magnet you put outside the tank, so it doesn't need to be on clear glass. It comes with a magnet holder for the tubing.

Pro: Tiny, has a built in timer to alert to overfilling, Con: Magnets aren't very strong

If you want me to text you pics you can PM me a cell number. I'm still in my jammies and it's too early to try to take, upload, and post pics...

• Like 1

I agree on the magnets suck on the micro. I ended up using a heavier magnet to hold the sensor and the return tubing as the IM 30 glass was a little thicker. It is a great set up otherwise and has worked well so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm eyeballing a micro. Is it easy to upgrade the magnet?

It is regular magnet and installed outside the tank. Nothing proprietary about it. If you can find stronger magnet by all means.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I looked through the thread, and, looking at the product, it says it has a pump height up to 6.5 feet.....anyone have any issues with this? My water reservoir to top of tank is about 36".....

To the top of my tank is 52" and it has 0 issues pumping the water, it's a strong little pump.

Ok I looked through the thread, and, looking at the product, it says it has a pump height up to 6.5 feet.....anyone have any issues with this? My water reservoir to top of tank is about 36".....

• 11 months later...

Has anyone figured out a way to cover the light from the sensor? I keep the sensor in the display and it might be a little bright for night. It also seems to get really bright temporarily at times?

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, igrover said:

Just ordered this Micro for a new IM Nuvo Fusion 10 tank setup.  Is there a particular reservoir that works well with the Micro?

Thanks in advance.

Found a Trigger Systems Ruby 5 Gallon ATO reservoir on BRS and ordered that.

• 2 months later...

I've had this ATO going or a while now and I'm very happy with it. I like how it doesn't just keep running until the switch is triggered, but will request flow, pause, then request flow again as needed.

Reefaddiction

You must be like that creature from the movie “a quiet place” to hear that! Haha, I don’t hear anything with my micro ATO aside from the alarm chime. 

That ATO is a workhorse, I love that thing.

Reefaddiction
On 2/9/2018 at 12:44 PM, igrover said:

Just ordered this Micro for a new IM Nuvo Fusion 10 tank setup.  Is there a particular reservoir that works well with the Micro?

Thanks in advance.

$2 jug from Walmart... lol. Just find a container that is food grade safe, or glass that is convenient for your set up.

Just now, Reefaddiction said:

$2 jug from Walmart... lol. Just find a container that is food grade safe, or glass that is convenient for your set up.

I'm using a large decorative vase from Ikea. It worked great until I started dosing Kalk, now I need to find something opaque.

Reefaddiction
1 minute ago, Nocturnal said:

I'm using a large decorative vase from Ikea. It worked great until I started dosing Kalk, now I need to find something opaque.

I I personally like something that’s easy to see through so I can keep an eye on my ATO/kalk levels to ensure there is no malfunction in the system or with the ATO.

HarryPotter

Thanks in advance.

Yes you 100% can only use a purple reservoir!! ?

2 minutes ago, Reefaddiction said:

I I personally like something that’s easy to see through so I can keep an eye on my ATO/kalk levels to ensure there is no malfunction in the system or with the ATO.

Yeah. The kalk residue is annoying though. Maybe I just need to get my ATO topped off more often. (hmmm, perhaps an ATO for my ATO.....)

Pffft. Everybody knows that blue containers are better. They prime the water to accept blue light so you don't need to turn up your RBs as much.

Just now, HarryPotter said:

Yes you 100% can only use a purple reservoir!

! ?

HarryPotter

Thanks in advance.

Yes you 100% can only use a purple reservoir!! ?

i'm using the micro for my IM 30L and its pretty idiot proof, i have the pump in a 5gal bucket and i find the magnant is fine, i haven't noticed anything move.  all i hear is a small click when it turns on and i think that's from the reefkeeper module, not the micro.  either way its super small and convenient.  i have nothing to compare it to though...

• 6 months later...

Considering one of these ATO's and I have read a handful of reviews that they got stuck in the on position. Anyone have anything bad to say about this ATO. Just looking for honest opinion and figured old post gave everyone a chance to use them for a while.