Cultivated Reef

AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro

texanreefer

Cencalfishguy56

Are there 2 different versions? A micro and a regular? If so, is size the only difference and is it that much smaller?

yea the micro is super tiny, I love mine

Been looking into this ATO as well. Only concern is that my RO reservoir is about 5ft. away from the display tank. Has quite a ways to pump. Think I'll have any issues getting the water up the tubing?

doesnt hurt to try it? I know the pump will keep pumping until it reaches the point on the sensor to stop and it's a pretty strong DC pump

Can anyone answer the above question

SteadyAim.

Pulled the trigger and bought one at my local LFS. All I can say is that it's awesome! Only complaint would probably be that the magnets are a bit on the weak side. But the pump is strong enough to bring it to the DT

• Like 1

Got mine in today, super quiet and like steadyaim states pump is strong enough, I have a IM ATO this thing just makes so much more sense and so much quieter.

• 1 month later...
squamptonbc

Is this one worth the extra money vs the Tunze Osmolator Nano which is cheaper.

I am in Canada so these prices are the going rate I have found here. The one discussed here runs for 160 and the Tunze is 129, just wondering if its worth the extra $30 over what the Tunze is going for.

Cencalfishguy56

Is this one worth the extra money vs the Tunze Osmolator Nano which is cheaper.

I am in Canada so these prices are the going rate I have found here. The one discussed here runs for 160 and the Tunze is 129, just wondering if its worth the extra $30 over what the Tunze is going for.

id go micro, no float sensors, just one led sensor that detects the water level when it gets too low and pumps water, don't have to mess with all the wires of the tunze but that's just me, I setup my micro in 5 minutes tops and I've never had an ato

So does the micro auto shutoff or continue to pump water until the reservoir is dry? I'm debating between this and the Tunze 3152 and I kinda like the autoshutoff feature

Cencalfishguy56

So does the micro auto shutoff or continue to pump water until the reservoir is dry? I'm debating between this and the Tunze 3152 and I kinda like the autoshutoff feature

confused by what you're asking? Can you clarify a bit more

So on the Tunze it will turn off the pump after an amount of time to prevent overflowing the display. Does the Smart ATO do the same thing? I saw in the manual that it flashes and makes an audible noise when something is wrong, but does it keep pumping water in the tank at that point? :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...
squamptonbc

Do the distributor force retailers to price these at the same exact price? Usually prices seem to vary ever so slightly with products, but every single retailer I have checked all sell it for the same exact price of 124.99, that or retailers just don't compete anymore.

I want to try this thing, but at 160 dollars in our currency, its a bit on the pricey side.

Do the distributor force retailers to price these at the same exact price? Usually prices seem to vary ever so slightly with products, but every single retailer I have checked all sell it for the same exact price of 124.99, that or retailers just don't compete anymore.

I want to try this thing, but at 160 dollars in our currency, its a bit on the pricey side.

Yup. It is also why it cannot be included in certain "sitewide sales"

squamptonbc

Figured that was the case. Just wasn't sure.

Yup. It is also why it cannot be included in certain "sitewide sales"

• 1 month later...

Got my Micro for $99 two months ago, not a single issue with it since having it. May come as a surprise but because i love to save space, i plan on buying a other Micro for my 180G system haha. that little pump spits water out like a champ on my 5G. barely will be on for a second before it hits the sensor and shuts off.

I have this on my Fluval 5 Evo and so far so good. No issues and really small footprint.

Best ATO I have had, no worrying about float valves like my JBJ and Apex BOB with Float switches in my past tanks.

I really like the fail safe where it stops pumping and alerts you if the time is more than 3 times that you standard topping off time.

blind. gno answered about the fail safe. awesome it has one! :D

There is a second fail safe where it warns you if your reservoir is out of water so your pump does not run dry. I have not tested this. I only accidentally tested the first one when I was doing a water change and forgot to unplug the ATO. It makes a beeping noise and blinks red.

• 1 month later...

I got mine in the mail today, too several months to push the button and spend $150 CAD but I am leaving for a week in 3 weeks, and I can't trust my mother in law to actually top up let alone do it correctly...lol...

Seems well built, and quite sensitive, only thing I don't like is the magnets, they need to be a bit stronger, I already accidentally bumped the tubing and off it came, so will need to make sure the tubing is taped to the back of the stand so it can't be bumped on accident.

If it works well, I may even consider getting one to top up my planted tank so I don't have to do it manually anymore...

Cencalfishguy56

I got mine in the mail today, too several months to push the button and spend $150 CAD but I am leaving for a week in 3 weeks, and I can't trust my mother in law to actually top up let alone do it correctly...lol...

Seems well built, and quite sensitive, only thing I don't like is the magnets, they need to be a bit stronger, I already accidentally bumped the tubing and off it came, so will need to make sure the tubing is taped to the back of the stand so it can't be bumped on accident.

If it works well, I may even consider getting one to top up my planted tank so I don't have to do it manually anymore...

have had mine since February and have not had any problems what so ever, even triggered alarms a few time from my stupidity lol love this little ATO!
shelleyBoston

I just got one of these Smart Micro ATO the only annoyance so far is the blue LED light on the sensor its always on, I wonder if it can be disabled.

Cencalfishguy56

I just got one of these Smart Micro ATO the only annoyance so far is the blue LED light on the sensor its always on, I wonder if it can be disabled.

why is it annoying? Is it in the DT?
shelleyBoston

The ATO is in the back of my display tank, I have a Fusion Nuvo 20 AIO tank, and I placed the sensor on the rear wall of the sump at the back of the tank.

Cencalfishguy56

The ATO is in the back of my display tank, I have a Fusion Nuvo 20 AIO tank, and I placed the sensor on the rear wall of the sump at the back of the tank.

its really that noticeable? I'd think it would be covered by the false wall infront of it