Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

DIY media basket

MrZ2u

Starters...this is for a 3.7 gal Petco Arc aquarium.

I want to build a media basket. I have removed the factory one already so I kinda have to now.

I typically see them with three shelves....floss, Purigen and Chemi Pure seems popular.

Question is why three for a tank this small. Ostensibly if I do a weekly gallon water change wouldnt I be kind of ahead of the curve negating the need for both Purigen and Chemi Pure? Or for that matter, would there really be a need for both?

Thoughts and opinions?

That seems to be the shared view.

It seems they say the stuff lasts 4-6 months but that seems a bit arbitrary. On a 3 gallon system thats going to get a third of its volume changed each week though? Does that mean some other life span? Its not going to have any fish in it and only a few shrimp and maybe a couple snails?

It seems like with that kind of changer interval the stuff would just last forever or not be needed at all?

The 3.7 is called cubic not arc. ;)

Milage will vary for how long chemical media lasts. Water changes aren't something I would consider as prolonging the media life but the small size of the tank helps.

Well three it is...I am vindicated once more for my scrap material hoarding. I had just enough lexan to fabricate this replacement for the stock 'filter' holder. Its not laser-cut-pretty but its totally functional!

20160120_175958_zpsdbbpuie6.jpg

And it fits just about perfectly...

20160120_180039_zpscubgxilg.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...

Nice! For those that live in CA TAP Plastics has a ton of scrap acrylic in there shops that is next to free and is perfect for projects like this.  Cut and drill to your dimensions and clean up edges with wet sand paper and your good to go.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...