ReefCleaners.org

Evolve 8 Devil's Den

SunWyrm

Thought l'd start a build thread on my tank at work.

4/15/16 - FTS

RDHmmeq.png

Equipment
Aqueon Evolve 8
50w heater
Koralia 240
stock return pump
PAR38 bulb

Running Purigen/chemipure/filter floss in a diy media rack in the return section
Caulerpa serrata in the overflow section with the heater with a little Kohree led

Inverts
Nerite snails

Astrea snail

Chestnut snail

Mexican red leg hermits
Mussel hitchhiker

Maximini carpet nem

Fish
Chrysiptera cyanea

PICS!

PvVOFeZ.png
NhWS2E8.png
qTJCgVb.png
5bKN4Yd.png
eYBnNx7.png

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks! Haven't updated this thread because it's been kinda divided with this one http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/369099-pairing-chrysiptera-cyanea-damsels-fiji-blue-devils/

Coral plans are just to add frags from my 30, like some of the faster growing zoas and pest palys. I originally wanted to put this aquascape and plan into a 15g or 20g, but since I was going to bring this tank to the office anyway, and had zero aquascape ideas I thought I'd combine them.

Just have the female in there now. Might stay that way; I'm still torn on on whether or not to add the little male. But she's loving all the attention; coworkers just adore her.

8B8caYv.png

And my new skimmer doesn't fit in the back. Saddest day ever.
FYgLZLb.png

• Like 1

It's a really fun tank. I've been able to do so much with it.

Skimmer is an JBJ SK-45. It would be a perfect fit, except the 1st chamber in the back of the Evolve doesn't go all the way down (2nd chamber makes an L shape). So now I have to mod my media rack (you can make anything out of eggcrate and zipties!), make a skimmer stand to go over the pump, and switch things around.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Adding my update here from my other thread on pairing my damsels.

Long overdue update as I've been apprehensive about adding the male, as well as lazy: added a diy net acclimation box last week to get her used to it. Seen here:
lvCLWj7.png

And today he was introduced! Lots of tail slapping at first from her (I underestimated their size difference; shes quite a bit larger than him) but he's been displaying and flashing around.

There's a lot of biting through the netting as well. We'll see how it continues, but its going MUCH better than I had anticipated. I thought she would be aggressive and he'd hide at the top of the box, but he's very bold.

Not letting him out of the net box for a few days, as I'm sure there would be some major damage in this small of a tank.

​We'll see if it all fails and I have to take him home again.

Just got a pic of him in his box before my phone died. X9kRokm.png

• 5 weeks later...

Photo dump day! Male was removed to keep everyone happy (he's now bffs with my target mandarin in my 30 sump). Tank was just too small to try to introduce a new pair. Maybe if the female was younger. Whatevs. This girl's back to retirement and loving it!

FTS

ef4xlNq.png

Top down

qZrnOeF.png

Mussel and macro

eale08s.png

Devil's hand all floofy

ioZ7TMS.png

Arctic ice palys

oqp76YJ.png

I dont remember palys...

bkLBtaa.png

Red people eaters and fire/ice

IJeuC3g.png

orange crush and cherry bombs (and check out that heliopora growth!)

0uQTCMN.png

Need an ID on whatever's choking my gold dust palys. Looks like tiny clove polyps...

tl0Y8nO.png

Added some more zoas and other corals this morning but they're not picture worthy yet.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

FTS Friday!

Not much has changed, added some new zoas, macro and a fire shrimp. Pic was right before I trimmed the xenia and C. serrulata back a bit.

kGmIIEh.png

sBxDC55.png

• 2 months later...
Cencalfishguy56

FTS update! Sorry for the potato, but I thought it was looking magnificent this morning and I haven updated in awhile B)

mt7qOJr.png

love how natural it looks!
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Her tank is getting a little overly full again. Really hard to take a good photo of it.

Been focusing all on this one and not at all on my tanks at home... and the difference really shows. :unsure:

dUIrphy.png

• Like 4

Wow, this tank has turned out great! Do you have a list of the corals in the tank?

I know you said it above, but why did you decide against adding the male? I am a bit confused on that

• Like 1

Thanks! It's mostly tons of palys/zoas, nepthia, xenia, leathers, and now a couple of maximini nems.

The male was "too nice". It might've worked with a younger female in a larger space. So he's living happily in my frag tank. One of these days I'll try to pair him again.

• 7 months later...
24 minutes ago, SunWyrm said:

So uh it's gotten a bit crowded...

GVNzfxj.png

Wow!!!

Crowded with cool stuff, might be time for an upgrade, lol.

• Like 1

Ha! Not at work unfortunately (barely sneaking by on this one!), but I'm tempted to take things home and switch it up a little, though I do like how full it looks.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Changed up my scape - last pic I took before in Jan 2019: (it got a little neglected)
78x4M4-Na0oSbyK7YMireLQFgVuFsexZowfNG3r8jI43kRB3nlAicwXTusAjbyz7qh4KjirnFX0W_GG82WYnI3DsNVHFHqV98ZeNNchzONlEOOfxTHvfAdUptsax3FesfHTWLnRWWJu3Oo0TBxrFocBDSm39TIuJxaQKOeNNlzPq05aXL0SM5WW3Sz3sBFYy5eaIASSuEpoBLEmrtyaj3j1gIuwMNlTq8NTnOh4fHW_MWBO5nyYF5y_imsIs016-fJOAg4IUbxAxfM80xdWasgMoN__PB_ViWNWtUoT_EgBXx5xsA41X5Fpi4k-OBNl93ZBIdm_ja1uiQdBrDhAktsp6Ztg4F1HQaT2hJdP0wfCbOcMC9BnsXghAH5WO5vTA3H2GpiNSbKneS-Uhp6B978mcd5XO7q7iqoXj7ipy2SYLyDUHa8iZEriINB4Luh3_Jaq_qVK3XxteWIfBe2g701ywhuL3bdMrSvopEepZ60JTngqqdfB7g22ZymXHtDAuf3V9lfc2R7yqN1FegFbBjKkpWXLhH2BG9n1ZZACItWN3PTYLy0zgPmB57Q1mDZOvJVpZGp7pgd9UK5Ju2MHG1dZ4WmN0RbM7-HDVJeN3PVmtv1bCYjQEXiSx5ateSSvlP4byr16QT7769oCf-rnTZBWTwH4Fsexz=w990-h1319-no

And just last week:

ZD6F1pRZiHPVP4RWLUm7vLVxkf9GhT7t0aDZIulRJzh5tCVoSfEqra1hPlYt3kqqpR7VQbIB41VVjbpwpWNzbKCFYECpy8F5KBdynWl5Dg-pdepFXScnckOrcvapOEQWq86jreZJH02lzorlyKgFky7jlyBv3TwfK3GH9BaGfkC3NmQpsytymIy224kOgaIEGZVQhnTCnj3m7fCdSp0XodbjaLInltHWOWMIvar0j5G-nRiehotZaOW1tMC3KEfC-sI-CjtSbzgMeJe8ihVm1-ztWdsGvnzUHBKeafc8tX_HCR9pWbY2ynm5XlDgcOUCqoHg7MMSrZnfnytor-zDVLt1fGVMMh4aiYkuoHGqVkojtG2h4vbuECe3WG5_R7vhBIA9mkq-fNTZlUcypZQgBbQX5d4uKqqsKqBU2Ep2Tob-igMFP_yQFAxeyyYaNUJeRx-jwKsV6DEEdhNk3mLrw8C5TuIGs4-SIMbFgz7BmussuCphAKYjXeX07RlaiOGam7e9bOcAM_fesW4K53-bxPJg-5PjKWMPsxeGu5QVW4fjK3LJZGAujhyJIhkZQ1QnpEzVeTxx--Vhnee8lxQ2gFWTsBiZ5Ta7JOmLh9SrPl2I8XTGW865XMbAQJwuHy7fRzwKKIVJJhq8TzYry4jLCNTNpPxFkdKo=w990-h1319-no

Next day after everything settled, and my damsel did a little extra work herself:
7po0Kfs1LOnCjFumMDgI7gPIFGvzyL0NILzJ5gXszIVFgkkn82K1pR5lzLPMwvJEN9rkK9TA8LOphfsbRBp8WLzdFrK_K6YTBq-4k4F59jbQi3lWGAn5jU8IRX0rrrkaBb4WL-kk5ATuXaQyO6Ngh89upk3JuQy0F8VzCxqkOqNTSK_l0KyrPXXy5_LW-ExEfK0as4KQ_bLX3uvTiIs1IKJD7Vcm-7lApu8CTSYq6-SAFMzsP5LYDwucKP8_7Z5YyhXTwkOnuRk8wTptmbioLOzsF0r2nUScTVapceXLmpy_W7bHo8mpUp3mB3KoV_eKf7hQyNPY8uo1OTqqSZDls6P13LRZgEpihMsb8awPYBr2QvLnHdLhfjxNIwlrG4XEMrfg3s6F7lCzsjzlAw2uZESdKSRuXB7DF9vxl5mnQi1sSUkBjz3uGTQ2yGN-LhcpDqDXW9M8J0e8YrpFRBHeCj8MHV1s8fVw4O0IN2HmHJ5t07ivez_W1YScWrOxYneAJBKejcIWL0GgkRRCeynMmGswjnrCE42muwWD4sDgE3ob7CEP7G4UTSh9cUOsrEuLTS0tGN6flAdLMUTiIEXXlppKNQnGOe-ble5W7aMNzc-kITWmysimGDdW4OkgUmBzXzOQH03kGrrQtJ6Db8fr7cJOwC4WpgEh=w990-h1319-no

• Wow 1

Did you have coral discolor, or one or two take over? Always good to see another evolve 8. I took mine down but am thinking i want to start it back up for frags.

What par38 bulb are you using?

• 9 months later...
On 3/24/2019 at 11:49 PM, asting said:

Did you have coral discolor, or one or two take over? Always good to see another evolve 8. I took mine down but am thinking i want to start it back up for frags.

What par38 bulb are you using?

Everything takes over in waves, and I'll trim back every few months or so to keep things in check. Right now though everything seems pretty even and fluffy. I couldn't even tell you what bulbs I'm using, one I paid $20 for on Amazon (Galaxyhydro 12W LED E27, that I can't find anymore, but I love the colors) and the other is one I bought second hand from a local club member, for $40+. 

From earlier in Dec
GwBH3Lk.png