Cultivated Reef

Suicidal Snails

supertech99

Why do my nerites keep climbing out of my tank? They are finding the 1 inch of space that I cant block off and I'm picking them up off the floor. Also, my larger florida ceriths are still not showing any signs of being alive. Are they bad shippers?

Thanks

jedimasterben

Nerites are certainly not 'suicidal'. They are intertidal snails that live in mangrove swamps and on the beach right at the tidal line. They are doing what they evolved to do.

Cerithium are generally not great shippers, but some do seem to go 'dormant' for a few days after being shipped. Keep an eye on them and pull them if they continue to not move and if they do not seem to have control of their foot, as soon as they are moved or touched they should draw up into their shells. If they are dead, their foot will just be hanging out and unresponsive. Also, it will literally be the worst smell you could ever imagine.

gulfsurfer101

The smell test never fails! You will never know the true definition of stench until you stick your nostril to a 3 day gone dried up turbo!

Simulated Fish

Nerites are certainly not 'suicidal'. They are intertidal snails that live in mangrove swamps and on the beach right at the tidal line. They are doing what they evolved to do.

Is this why half my snail population is refusing to stay in my display tank?! They always move into the return pump chamber of my Biocube 8g.... Even when I pull them out they are right back there within a day or two.

The smell test never fails! You will never know the true definition of stench until you stick your nostril to a 3 day gone dried up turbo!

I actually had a nerite that went missing for a week; it was still alive.

Either way, I find them annoying. I had one that went to the guest bedroom (tank is right next the door) and I found it under the tv stand :furious:

Why do my nerites keep climbing out of my tank? They are finding the 1 inch of space that I cant block off and I'm picking them up off the floor. Also, my larger florida ceriths are still not showing any signs of being alive. Are they bad shippers?

Thanks

Sorry you had losses. What is your name? I can look it up. Or shoot us an email and we will take care of it.

No way Jon, you are good but thanks for the offer, it was a little order for a little tank. You did a great job timing the shipping with me. You don't owe me a thing. I was really just looking for the information I got from everyone. I think all the dwarf cerths made it, one of them was even a little crab hitchiker in a dwarf shell. I was just curious as I've only ever had astrea, turbo, and nass snails. I really like the dwarf cerths, they seem perfectly sized for a nano.

Why do my nerites keep climbing out of my tank? They are finding the 1 inch of space that I cant block off and I'm picking them up off the floor.

My nerites just started escaping as well after 2 months or so of staying in the tank. Water quality hasn't changed, I guess they were just ready to get out of the water for a while.

If anyone has any problems with their order I can assist you with please send me your name or order number and I will get right on it.

Archived