Coral Vue Hydros

11.4 Bare Bottom Aquascape - ReefCleaners

stash98

ReefCleaners is great. They sent me a ton of rock and some larger pieces that I was able to build a bit of a bridge on. Here it is. The funny thing is I have 4 other smaller pieces from them that I probably won't use in this tank since it feels like almost too much rock as it is. You can see some of them next to the tank.

tljCVLAl.png

I think this should work well and I can put corals on the top of the rocks or under in front. This is around 12 pounds of rock. I plan to seed the tank with a small piece of live rock as well. Any thoughts are welcome as I haven't scaped a tank in a long time.

Something about the scape bugged me so I changed it up. I feel like this opens up the tank a little more, or maybe I'm just thinking way too much and should sleep on it..lol. Regardless, the rocks touch no glass except the ground just like before. This is 11 pounds of rock.

Y9xFFL8l.png

gulfsurfer101

I liked your first scape better for some reason. Also why not start your tank off with ammonia and just let nature do its thing. Kinda defeats the purpose to start a tank using dry rock only to introduce live rock that may be carrying pests in or on it.

Also how much do you want for the remaining chunks lol! I'll need to put in an order soon.

I like the second one.. They seem very similar, but with the second one opening in towards the tank instead of towards the viewer. Still, opening towards the viewer creates an 'overhang' that NPS corals can go under..

Looks good! And +1 on the dosing ammonia idea. Get some ammonium chloride and Microbakter/Stability and watch things cycle!

I also like the second scape better, looks more natural imo. I can picture a nice acan garden on the sand in the front corner. I suppose that would work in either scape though.

Doesn't matter what I think though, go based off the placement of the corals you want to keep. What kinds of corals do you like?

Thanks guys. I went with a variant of the second scape. Pretty much the same thing, just a little more sloping.

neqgG5il.png

As for live rock, i added one small piece of cured live rock from my LFS refugium and i also have dr tims bacteria as well. No pests or anything like that to worry about.

I like SPS corals and brains. Have not thought past that to be honest. I havent reefed in 10 years so keeping corals was much more challenging and expensive. Now i have a lighting setup for them so im essentially discovering corals all over again.

Ok, well I did find a tiny, almost microscopic hermit crab wondering around and checking things out so far.

Let's put it like this, it is a much higher % of me not having an issue than my old way of buying 10 pounds of LR and hoping for the best. haha.

My in tank insert just got here...sweet.

Ok, well I did find a tiny, almost microscopic hermit crab wondering around and checking things out so far.

Let's put it like this, it is a much higher % of me not having an issue than my old way of buying 10 pounds of LR and hoping for the best. haha.

My in tank insert just got here...sweet.

If you got a hermit crab, anything's possible! xD

But you always have the option of putting LR in a container with a heater and circulation pump to discover what's on it before putting it in the tank. Standard tanks, Brute trash can, Rubbermaid containers..

Well the LFS did that for me..for months beforehand. :) They are specialized in reefs and cure all their rock the exact way you described. I saw that exact setup in the back of the store.

Archived