SaltCritters.com

Second chance at Reef: 100g Twin Bommies

2ndChance

Hi everyone,

I've ordered and will be upgrading to a 100g tank with sump in a couple of weeks.

A little background - my first ever and also current setup is a 3 year old 55g. Starting out overeager, I was impulsive and have little planning. What I ended up with is a messy tank with an overstocked bunch of unhappy fish and corals. Also tried my hands on refugium, biopellets, etc with minimal success and eventually burnt out from the maintenance.

So a few lessons learnt, I'm taking a different approach for this new tank:

The inspiration:

post-90168-0-88288100-1451976678_thumb.jpg

While envious of fully stocked thriving tanks, I’m actually going the opposite direction – bigger tank but downsizing the livestock, hopefully simple enough for me keep clean and pristine:

100G tank with 10-15lbs of live rock forming two small bommies among an expanse of shallow white sandbed.

Equipment on hand/preordered:

· Kessils 360w x 2,

· Maxspect gyres x 2

· Skimz skimmer

· Standard heater and return pump

Equipment in consideration:

· Tunze ATO

· Chiller

Livestock plans:

· Clownfish pair with anemone

· Goby and shrimp pair (are these easy to keep?)

· A tang (Yellow or Tomini)

· A couple of clams

· A couple of branching SPS and sea fans

Questions:

1. I have 10+ Marinepure ceramic balls that I will transfer over – is this enough to skip/minimize the cycle or do I need the liverock as well?

2.Opinions on christmas tree worms, from what I gather, they are not sustainable?

Hi everyone,

I've ordered and will be upgrading to a 100g tank with sump in a couple of weeks.

A little background - my first ever and also current setup is a 3 year old 55g. Starting out overeager, I was impulsive and have little planning. What I ended up with is a messy tank with an overstocked bunch of unhappy fish and corals. Also tried my hands on refugium, biopellets, etc with minimal success and eventually burnt out from the maintenance.

So a few lessons learnt, I'm taking a different approach for this new tank:

The inspiration:

attachicon.gifcaribbean-reef.jpg

While envious of fully stocked thriving tanks, I’m actually going the opposite direction – bigger tank but downsizing the livestock, hopefully simple enough for me keep clean and pristine:

100G tank with 10-15lbs of live rock forming two small bommies among an expanse of shallow white sandbed.

Equipment on hand/preordered:

· Kessils 360w x 2,

· Maxspect gyres x 2

· Skimz skimmer

· Standard heater and return pump

Equipment in consideration:

· Tunze ATO

· Chiller

Livestock plans:

· Clownfish pair with anemone

· Goby and shrimp pair (are these easy to keep?)

· A tang (Yellow or Tomini)

· A couple of clams

· A couple of branching SPS and sea fans

Questions:

1. I have 10+ Marinepure ceramic balls that I will transfer over – is this enough to skip/minimize the cycle or do I need the liverock as well?

2.Opinions on christmas tree worms, from what I gather, they are not sustainable?

The marinepure will be fine and actually better than live rock. I recently switched over to using matrix in my sump seeded by prodibio biodigest and it is doing wonders in my tank with the nitrate and phosphate. So much so that I have turned off my carbon/gfo reactor. I feed heavily too.

The only thing I would change is the choice of Kessil A360. Two of them and you are at almost same price as the Kessil AP700. It will be a better light overall with great spread.

Thanks Gus! I will transfer the marinepure balls over the help the cycle. Also, glad to know about the lack of need for the gfo reactors, one less thing to tinker with.

As for the kessil 360s, I already have one on hand, so it just makes sense for me to get another one for the 4ft tank.

Will post some pics in a couple weeks once the tank up running.

Archived