SaltCritters.com

My Mr Aqua 11.4 Bare Bottom Nano Reef

stash98

Well, Im going to wait on changing the water, but the nitrites are 0, the ammonia is a hair high, nitrates at 10. pH at 8.0.

Tank may be close to stabilzing. Interesting thing is no algae at all. I guess this is due to using dry rock and dr tims. Really a first for me there.

I figure ill put in some floss and wait a week. Then change water, floss and add purigen. Then maybe get a favia coral

I may get another small Powerhead to provide more surface flow, since I plan to slow down the AC70 intake a little more. Any recommendations?

I know you haven't had it for long and haven't seen the effects of the actual filtration of it but in all honesty would you recommend the AC70 or AC50 for the Mr Aqua 11.4 tank if you did it again? I've decided to go with the same tank and am just having trouble deciding what size filter to go with. Thanks

I know you haven't had it for long and haven't seen the effects of the actual filtration of it but in all honesty would you recommend the AC70 or AC50 for the Mr Aqua 11.4 tank if you did it again? I've decided to go with the same tank and am just having trouble deciding what size filter to go with. Thanks

AC70 for sure. Gives you a lot more options down the road.There are a lot of mods for it as well. The InTank mod has worked out great for me.

Been gone for a few days and I came home to ...no more surface scum. The carbon I ran seems to have taken care of it.

I decided to add more flow anyway. I have more Koralia pointed up more to add surface movement, and will have another coming tomorrow to take it's old spot which is lower flow on the back of the tank. I also will have a smaller Koralia to replace my mini tunze and push flow to the bottom front of the tank. This should be plenty of nice flow, and ill take a pic of the layout. It will only be visible on the back side of the tank and should keep the inhabitants happy.

Did my first water change today and added chemipure blue to the mix. Everything is looking good and testing at zero. Looks like I will be adding some LPS soon.

Ok it is done. "The flow zone" is created

Back view

5wGXWyfl.png

As you can see I have flow on every level hitting the tank. This has completely eliminated surface scum without the need for a surface skimmer. It also keeps all areas of the tank detritus free except the very front - which is where I will siphon.

From the front side the tank you really can not see anything. Only issue I have so far is some micro bubbles being made. Not sure why, but it's a pretty small amount.

I'm so happy that the surface scum is gone. Last thing I wanted to do was put it in a surface skimmer and then deal with fitting in ATO sensor and having a black column in the tank.

The tank is looking awesome and there is nothing inside it. So I believe this weekend that will change. Going for a Favia or Brain to get things started.

I did a test - Nitrites at 0, ammonia at 0 and Nitrates at 5ppm.

The tank has a little bit of a haze in it. Its not super, super clear but it's close.

I think it is ready for livestock, but I was curious on thoughts. I never saw an ammonia spike or anything like that, but I didnt test every day either. I also wonder if my 10 year old test kit may just have expired?

To answer my own question - hell yes the test kit had expired. By a lot!!!

I am glad I held back on putting livestock in, although I do believe the tank has cycled. It still doesnt let me see phosphate levels accurately or Nitrates. I have a new kit arriving tomorrow, as this info is rather important for me to have.

I got my first livestock.

Got a deal on a chalice frag and also got an awesome yellow torch.

The torch is already opening up after less than 2 hours so I think this is a good sign.

iceEuHHl.png

wHmdSRBl.png

I took my top angled powerhead out last week since I thought the flow would be too much for the Torch coral.

Well I decided to put it back in today and once the lights came on, this is the most open the Torch has been so far (about to hit the week mark tomorrow). It is moving with the flow but it doesnt look like it's being damaged by any means. It definitely seems to like it, which is good, because I may have added an Orange Setosa towards the top ;)

Pics to come.

I am encountering a lot of hair alga on my live rock piece and some is going on my glass bottom and dry rock. Should I get a clean up crew or weather the storm?

• 4 weeks later...

Updated tank pic. I have added a blue hammer. Everything is really going well right now. Also purchased a spect route ro/Di which has been a huge help as well

V8YvP3Cl.png

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived