Pod Your Reef

Terry's 15gal column office desktop tank

no694terry

I have this stalk of halimeda growing out of a rock on bottom of the tank. I'd like to move it somewhere that i can let it grow a bit without it being the center of attention. Any suggestions on how or when to do that?

20170918_091157-X3.jpg

• Like 1

You might be able to trim it off the rock and secure it with fishing line to another rock.  If you don't want it to grow back in its current location, you might have to spot treat it with peroxide (it's best done out of the tank if possible).

• Like 1

went and bought a calcium test kit and some calcium liquid. Thought with my lack of water changes that i may have low calcium butthat doesnt seem to be the case. It's an API test kit, took 28 drops to turn blue. Supposedly puts me in the 500ppm range which is way higher than i thought so i wont be doing any dosing anytime soon i guess.

random photo from this morning

20170925_081435-X3.jpg 

one month update on frags 

8/23/17

TTJ_8804-X2.jpg

9/27/17

20170927_135218-X2.jpg

The two acro's up top have had the best growth. The bright green acro is growing and encrusted but not as noticeble. The montis are growing but slowly, they are halfway down the tank and i think i need more wattage. Soon, very soon.

• Like 2
Reefaddiction

This is a really great looking nano, I love the column design of the tank! What kind of tank is it and how many gallons? It really came together well. 

Christopher Marks
2 hours ago, no694terry said:

Discovered some new white balance settings in camera. Cant wait to try them in office tomorrow

You've unlocked the key to great tank shots! It saves a ton of trouble when editing too. :) 

On 8/23/2017 at 7:35 PM, Christopher Marks said:

6 months in and it’s already made so much progress! The new rock is coloring up beautifully with coralline algae. Such unique opportunities with a column tank, I love seeing all those new SPS frags up there at the top. Great macro shots of them too, how is it focusing with the extension tube?

I wanted to know min and max focus ranges on my "macro" setups so I did some simple measuring just now on my extension tubes and to F1.4 lenses and heres what i got. Its +/- 1/8" and lenses were set at F1.4. Pentax K3 body

dof.jpg

I got a leviton wifi dimmer timer today. Its got a couple features i can use with my coralcompulsion buld. It can take up to 25 seconds to fade on and off, or i cant set countless schedules to simulate a dusk to dawn. Going to play with it a little more tomorrow

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Sounds cool! What is the dimmer model? Link?

Leviton Model # DW3HL-1BW. Got it on Amazon for $43

The schedules are still teasing me a bit, maybe im missing something but now i just have a simple schedule set. 8:30am to 3:30pm with the 25 second fade in and out. When i get the 55w bulb, ill use the same schedule but turn the brightness down to about 75% and work my way up over a week or two. I emailed leviton and asked for a custom fade option that can go up to an hour for fade on and off. We'll see what happens

Great looking tank, everything is looking good the second time round. There are times when I let my Pico go with nothing more than top offs for a month or more and it seems to do better, odd how that happens. Looking forward to your progress. 

• 3 weeks later...

went to the Maldives.

Saw lots of fishies. All the coral were SPS, didnt see any lps, softies or inverts. Towards the edge of the reef was just devistating feilds of huge SPS skeletons, so thick and close to the surface i could not snorkel over them. But there were also a lot of young patches of SPS forming.

Pics  http://www.shotbyterry.com/Vacation/Honeymoon/Snorkeling/

Videos http://www.shotbyterry.com/Vacation/Honeymoon/Snorkel-Videos/

• Like 1

Might have to move the tank next week or the week after. I have the shop building me a new table to put it on. The office i moving into i like half the size of my current one. And i dont have room to put the tank on my desk right in front of me, its goign to be in the corner :(

• 3 weeks later...

got the new 55w par38 from CoralCompulsion on the tank. Its way brighter than the 36w. I have it up to about 75% now after a few days. 

20171109_084321-XL.jpg

20171106_135157-X2.jpg

20171106_135203-X2.jpg

• Like 2

I had to move my office back into the main building. So now Fish tank goes here. And speaking of fish tank, i havent seen the fish all day, cant really remeber if i saw him yesterday either.

20171116_151211-X2.jpg

• Like 2
12 hours ago, vlangel said:

I hope your fish is ok.

still no sign of the fishy, but the serpent star has been more active :unsure:

guess maybe its time to think about a new fishy. One thats super low maintance, doesnt eat a lot, doesnt mind strangers and would like a 15gallon home

• 4 weeks later...

I added a maroon clown Friday. 

Today my skimmer went nuts, its been making a lot of icro bubble since i moved. I thought it just need to break in but a month later its still doing it and today i went bizzerk. Guess im going to have to take it back apart and see what going on

The skimmer may be going nuts because you have a decomposing fish in the tank producing a ton of bacteria and organic matter.

Unless of course you found it and removed it.

2 hours ago, no694terry said:

I added a maroon clown Friday. 

Really?  In a 15 gallon tank?  Do you plan on transferring her to your home tank when she grows up?

Crazy like over flowing and sending all the microbubbles right into display. 

I thought clowns were pretty comfy in small tanks. I have a 90 at home with just a small yellow Tang and orchid if need be.

The yellow damsel been mia for a month now. Really have no idea what happened, looked fine one day then all of a sudden it was gone. Only an old nerite shell on floor behind tank

• 1 month later...

good news. this frag that went missing back in October has been recovered, snail or crab must have knocked it out of where ever it fell to and i saw it earlier and got it out with some precision airline snagging. Its severely bleached but about 10 minutes after i retrieved it, all the orange polyps were emerged. but the blue is gone.

also figured out my protien skimmer issues. The little black plastic fitting on the pump inlet keeps clogging up with salt or something where the air comes in to the venturi.

TTJ_8811-XL.jpg&key=7f990b0deaa2798ed464

• Like 1