Coral Vue Hydros

RIP Sebastian's Nuvo 30L Build- Future Goals/Plans!

RIP Sebastian

RIP Sebastian

Hi all,

Welcome to My IM Micro 30L Build Thread.

FTS:

1483197893963-988818700_zpsttn4wx2j.jpg

Equipment:

Tank-IM Nuvo Micro 30L
Stand-Aquatic Fundamentals 30/45/60 Stand
ATO-Tunze Nano Osomolator
Return-Stock IM Mini 38 Pump
Powerhead- Vortech MP10 WQD
Lighting-Nanobox Quad
Media Baskets-InTank Nuvo 30/40/ Lagoon 50 Floss Holders
Reactor-IM Minimax Midsize
Heater- Cobalt Neotherm 75 Watt
Mechanical Filtration-Filter Floss
Skimmer- Hydor Slim Skim Nano

Livestock:
Fish:
Onyx Percula Clown-Jess
Extreme Misbar Midnight Ocellaris Clown-Griffin
Pajama Cardinal
Orchestriped Cardinal
4 Little Gobies (No Idea What Species)

Corals:
Eagle Eye Zoas
Christmas Tree Rock
Kenya Tree
Pulsing Xenia
4 Ricordea Florida
Green Palythoas
Clove Polyps
Neon Green Branching Hammer
Neon Wall Hammer
Micro Hammer
Frogspawn
Sunny D Palys
Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoas
Green Duncan
Green Star Polyps
Green Snake Polyps
Scrambled Egg Zoas
Mandarin Orange Zoas
Australian Acans
Snakeskin Torch

Macro Algaes:
Dragon's Breath
Halimeda
Ulva
Grape Caulerpa
Caulerpa
Gracilira

Inverts:
Christmas Tree Rock
Hermit Crabs
Turbo Snails
Margarita Snails
Hard Tube-Shelled Coco Worm, whom I dubbed Glenn Coco
RBTA- he has a little green, though
Orange-Tipped GBTA
5 RFAs
Maxima Clam

Tank History

​In late 2015, I drove out to Colombus and purchased an IM 24 and Midsize Reactor from Karen (Mirya). Here it is before I took it:

breakdown3_zpsnjmpfuda.jpg

​From there, I took it home, gave it a good rub-down, cleaned out the back chambers, and began the cycle.

WP_20160116_003%20203975_zpsh5qlp4wz.jpg

I loved the curved glass. The 24 was/is a beautiful tank. It was kind of.....elegant. Ah, well. The next day:

WP_20160117_014%20210672_zps4jd9f2ap.jpg

So, I salvaged some plumbing parts and the media baskets. The rock was taken out. The sand was put into a bucket. I promptly ordered a Nuvo 30L. The box was HUGE!

WP_20160120_003%20267334_zpsrxedemgp.jpg

Look at all the bubble wrap! Perfect for relieving stress.

WP_20160120_006%20267336_zpszlvqh1vd.jpg

Now I know why no one orders directly from IM:
WP_20160120_011%20267338_zpsh3vgsnca.jpg

Then, after a few weeks, I had the time to set it up.

WP_20160214_002_zpsdsluvcrf.jpg

If you look closely in the above photo, my lil' Jess is in there.

The tank then entered its "Ugly Duckling" Phase. I didn't take many photos of it at all. Also, my photos are so crappy because I don't have a decent camera .Many things died and bleached, etc.

Goals Within the Next Month or Two:

1. Move and Drain Safely

2. Return PJ and Orchestriped Cardinalfish

3. Add More Sand and Crushed Coral

4. Rescape

4. Purchase Captive-Bred Pair of Yasha Gobies with Pistol Shrimp

5. Once Tank is Put Back, Get Cal/Alk/Mag Under Control and Add Dosing Pump

Goals Within the Next Year:

1. Ensure Proper Health and Growth of Fish and Corals

2. Sell/Trade/Give Away Corals I No Longer Want

3. Add More SPS

4. Utilize Dave's Nanobox Trade-In Program

5. Add an Apex Controller

6. Maybe Try Some KZ LPS Color Stuff

Goals Before I Go to College:

1. UPGRADE!!!!! (RSR 170, CAD Lights 45 Shallow, or Deep Blue 55 w/ Tank, Stand, and Canopy)

2. AUTOMATE!!!!! I Need to Make it as Simple as Possible.

Thanks for stopping by!

Nick

• Like 6

Hey Nick!

Glad to see you and the tank made it home safe and sound. It was nice to meet you today. I'm subscribed to the thread to see what adventures my tank gets to have!

This is what it looked like when I last saw it today:

Before putting it into service, I would verify that it is a second generation Nuvo-

It is a 2nd gen. I had it up for the past 1.5 years. I told him to not use the pedestal, have it on a flat surface, and gave him my neoprene that I had under it. :)

• Like 1

Depending on the ambient temperature in your house, you may need to go with a 100W. I ran a 100W NeoTherm in it when I had it.

I noticed the past few months that when it was cold outside, this tank would struggle to keep its temp up compared to my 8 gallon. You saw how close the 24 gallon was to the windows in my old place. Though, when I think about it, I can't recall if the tank struggled to keep its temperature or not last winter -- and last winter was a lot colder. Maybe the problem was my heater getting old...

I'm glad you were home, the house didn't get trashed, and no one got cut badly.

The 30L has the same nice long and shallow look of the 24 and is from low iron glass. I haven't seen one in person, but I bet you will be happy.

Thanks! I'm glad we were home, too. The 30L will be nice, but not the same without the curved glass.........

I have the 30L. It's a very nice tank, I'm sure you will love it. I personally hate the curved glass, it is a PITA to clean. Best of luck! That's a bummer about the 24 :(

Nice!

I agree with you -- the curved corners were really appealing to me about the Nuvo line of tanks. (People either loved them or hated them! But unfortunately they are probably what led to the cracking issues.) However, what I disliked about the 24, but is fixed in the 30 is the front to back depth. The 24 is pretty narrow front to back for how long it is. I felt frustrated with scapes that I couldn't get more depth out of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for my hiatus, ya'll! I've been busy-midterms, a bunch of tests, my mom getting used to her prosthetic. It's been nuts. But there's good news! Pics to Come!

I just saw your mom has a prosthetic. My hubby also has a prosthetic. Dave's is his left leg below the knee. How is she coping?

FreshwaterNoob

Thank you! It's not much now...... But it soon will be a thriving reef-knock on wood!

As for the AIOs, I LOVE THEM.

Yeah right now I am in the hang on back 20g long category. But if when I upgrade it will either be a 40g breeder and sump I guess, or the IM 50 lagoon!

Hi Dawn! My Mom's amputation is her right leg BTK. Thanks for asking about her. She had PT today and she's scootin' around with a cane. Considering what she been through- 3 cardiac arrests, 2 minor strokes, plus the gangrene that led to her amputation- it's amazing progress!

What is her first name, I am going to pray for her. I know what her PT will be like and some of the challenges she will face. However as encouragement, Dave is living a very normal life with his prosthetic.

Hey Nick!

Glad to see you and the tank made it home safe and sound. It was nice to meet you today. I'm subscribed to the thread to see what adventures my tank gets to have!

This is what it looked like when I last saw it today:

It is a 2nd gen. I had it up for the past 1.5 years. I told him to not use the pedestal, have it on a flat surface, and gave him my neoprene that I had under it. :)

Are the pedestals the issue with the ones that cracked?

Are the pedestals the issue with the ones that cracked?

That was one of the theories. I didn't use the pedestal when I had the tank running though and I told Nick not to use it when I sold the tank to him.

One of the other theories was using a wavemaker like a MP10 on pulse. I did have a MP10 on the tank for awhile before switch to a Gyre130. Both just ran on constant speed mode.

Jamescawthray

Hello

Sorry to come in on this thread, great tank by the way!!! Just bought this Nuvo 24, from the uk so the tanks very hard to buy! Anyway I've just discovered that theses tanks can crack! It this still happening on a regular thing? As Google uk seems to only have story's from 2014!! A little worried about this tank now :-(

James

:welcome:

Thanks so much for the compliment! It's not much yet..... In regards to the 24, it honestly depends. Polarcollision's has been running for years. His might actually ben a gen 1..... Anywho, it depends. I'm sure you'll be fine. Make sure to keep it level, though. Good luck, and start a thread!

I have started one and my tank is Hammerheads old tank. I love the look of it. I am just not wanting to come home to a mess and a broken tank. That has me worried.