ReefCleaners.org

Coral planning for 2.5g tank.

Mothi

This tank will have 2 x 13 watt PC bulbs (1 Actinic and 1 10000k). For filtration there will be an AC300 (modified to be a fuge with a AC mini impeller to slow down flow so it is not a storm in the small tank).

The corals I would 'like' to have are:

clove polyp

red gorgonian

red and/or blue mushroom

pink birdsnest

montipora digitata

zoanthids

yellow sun coral

possibly also:

glove polyp

pom pom xenia

acropora coral

Of course they will be small frags since a 2.5g is a small tank.

:) Do any of these have sweeper tenticles or stingers? Will the chemical warfare be bad? Any comments? Please explain why certain corals will not work and not just stating it won't work.

I would avoid the birdsnest and the acropora simply because you don't have the proper lightning, it's is the intensity that matters not the amount of light.

As for the red gorgonian, you may want to double check on this but I believe they are non-photosynthetic and only filterfeed, meaning you would need to add something like phytoplankton.

The yellow sun coral will require some additional care as well, each polyp is an individual animal and you will need to make sure each one gets food such as mysis.

The rest of the corals look good and are a nice size for a 2.5g tank.

Okay, so birdsnest and acropora require something more than PC lighting? Even if I add another 13 watt bulb? If so, then I will just skip them...even though I would have loved to see a little pink hard coral in my tank. :)

I understand that the red gorgonian would have special feeding requirements. I am still debating whether to try a small frag or not because of it. I would prefer a photosynthetic gorg, but I am trying to do a color scheme... so I might just not go with them if I feel I can't take care of it.

How is everything else?

I revised the list of corals I want to get.

The corals I would 'like' to have are:

clove polyp (with white centers)

red and/or blue mushroom

zoanthids (with black, red, dark blue, white, and/or pink colors)

yellow sun coral

possibly also:

glove polyp

pom pom xenia

montipora digitata

Do any of them have sweeper tenticles? Other than doing a .5-1g water change every week (unless it should be more), do I need to dose anything?

I decided not to get the birdsnest or gorgonian for now. The sun coral will need enough attention from me as it is. :)

Archived