Coral Vue Hydros

Moai of the Sea!

Sk8n Reefer

Sk8n Reefer
6 hours ago, vlangel said:

Hi Scott, good to hear from ya and glad the tank is still going.  Is it the 50 gallon or did you go back to the 16 gallon?

Lookin' good on the board and that is so cool about your mini indoor skate area.

The kids were looking mighty lazy in your pic, ha ha!

Hi Dawn, great to hear from you too- how are things?  Yes it's the 50- just couldn't get myself to shut it down and start over. Been doing more maintenance with regular w/c's and slowly reducing phosphate levels - which were very high. Fiighting some cyano because of it at the moment. Ya, been skating hard this year and  planning some more pours.  It was nice to check out from the tank for 6 months  but now I am ready to try and get it back again, luckily the fish all are doing well 

• Like 2

I thought it was probably the 50.  I really think you will start to experience more positive results now that the tank has had time to stabilize and re-establish a proper balance. Taking a break from it was a good move and allowed you to enjoy other passions as well.  I am glad that all the fish are thriving.

Markalot experienced some real trials with his 150 gallon in the beginning but it's a real show tank now.  I believe you have the skills to make this tank a beauty as well.

All is well with Dave and I.  We are not taking a big motorcycle trip this year but are planning a ride to Alaska in 4 years when Dave hopefully retires.  We will still do weekend trips when we have time.  This summer we have been concentrating on getting our house in order for retirement, like taking down overgrown trees that are getting in the gutters and such.

My new Seahorse tank is going pretty well.  I am happy with how easy it is to do the 3 WCs a week and to maintenance.  I have never been a fan of bb tanks but it definitely helps keep water quality up for ponies in controlling bacteria.  I have 3 mares and 1 stallion.  

I am still learning how easily seahorses can contract bacterial infections.  Right now my beautiful pinto pony, Ruth is in HT for a skin infection.  She is improving but its been over a month so it requires some diligence with daily WCs and antibiotics.  

Ponies are definitely a challenge in some ways but I can't help myself...I really love them.

• Like 4
Sk8n Reefer
On 6/30/2017 at 8:23 AM, vlangel said:

I thought it was probably the 50.  I really think you will start to experience more positive results now that the tank has had time to stabilize and re-establish a proper balance. Taking a break from it was a good move and allowed you to enjoy other passions as well.  I am glad that all the fish are thriving.

Markalot experienced some real trials with his 150 gallon in the beginning but it's a real show tank now.  I believe you have the skills to make this tank a beauty as well.

All is well with Dave and I.  We are not taking a big motorcycle trip this year but are planning a ride to Alaska in 4 years when Dave hopefully retires.  We will still do weekend trips when we have time.  This summer we have been concentrating on getting our house in order for retirement, like taking down overgrown trees that are getting in the gutters and such.

My new Seahorse tank is going pretty well.  I am happy with how easy it is to do the 3 WCs a week and to maintenance.  I have never been a fan of bb tanks but it definitely helps keep water quality up for ponies in controlling bacteria.  I have 3 mares and 1 stallion.  

I am still learning how easily seahorses can contract bacterial infections.  Right now my beautiful pinto pony, Ruth is in HT for a skin infection.  She is improving but its been over a month so it requires some diligence with daily WCs and antibiotics.  

Ponies are definitely a challenge in some ways but I can't help myself...I really love them.

Nice! Glad things are going so well- Alaska sounds crazy on a motorcycle ? Your Pony tank is inspiring for sure Dawn- great work keeping that going at such a high level.  Ya, I was just burned out trying to get the Dino's under control and not really having any luck.  I also realized with this 50 that a smaller tank is more inline with how I like to do maintenance- smaller frequent w/c's that can make a difference and no skimmer just a reactor.  I had the Nuvo 16 dialed in and just haven't gotten there with the 50 yet.  I'll do a 10 gal. w/c and not see much of an affect to the overall chemistry of the tank and have to rely more on filtration materials and skimming.  

Definitely a different approach and one I am struggling with.  My skimmer is doing well now but takes a constant tinkering to keep running at a high level.  Gonna do a 10gal. w/c today - I can take out 10 before I start exposing corals.  I stayed away from the lfs's for quite some time but went again last weekend and just marveled over some of the beautiful corals and wanting to make an addition.  Cyano has creeped back in right now so once I get that back under control I should be ready for a few encrusting and plating Monti's ? 

• Like 3
Sk8n Reefer
30 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

Just witnessed a pig fly over my house.....figured it was a sign....so, here I am checking in! 

Yup-  apocalypse is sure to be coming!! 

• Like 2
On 7/1/2017 at 11:01 AM, Sk8n Reefer said:

Nice! Glad things are going so well- Alaska sounds crazy on a motorcycle ? Your Pony tank is inspiring for sure Dawn- great work keeping that going at such a high level.  Ya, I was just burned out trying to get the Dino's under control and not really having any luck.  I also realized with this 50 that a smaller tank is more inline with how I like to do maintenance- smaller frequent w/c's that can make a difference and no skimmer just a reactor.  I had the Nuvo 16 dialed in and just haven't gotten there with the 50 yet.  I'll do a 10 gal. w/c and not see much of an affect to the overall chemistry of the tank and have to rely more on filtration materials and skimming.  

Definitely a different approach and one I am struggling with.  My skimmer is doing well now but takes a constant tinkering to keep running at a high level.  Gonna do a 10gal. w/c today - I can take out 10 before I start exposing corals.  I stayed away from the lfs's for quite some time but went again last weekend and just marveled over some of the beautiful corals and wanting to make an addition.  Cyano has creeped back in right now so once I get that back under control I should be ready for a few encrusting and plating Monti's ? 

Yeah a bigger tank is not as easy to fix with a quick WC.  WCs are my favorite method of keeping my tank in balance as well.  That works really well with ponies but the lifting and carrying got brutal until I created my WC station.  Now the part that hurts the most is my wallet with all the salt mix I go through.  I can live with that.

I give you credit for sticking with the 50 instead of downsizing right away.  As you get more familiar with what works in the 50, you may eventually find that you like it more, or at least more than you do now.  Once a bigger tank is dialed in they are easier to keep stable which is real nice.  I think that is still the case with sps but its definitely true of softies and LPS.  I will be anxious to see what corals you add to it.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer
On 7/2/2017 at 8:20 PM, vlangel said:

Yeah a bigger tank is not as easy to fix with a quick WC.  WCs are my favorite method of keeping my tank in balance as well.  That works really well with ponies but the lifting and carrying got brutal until I created my WC station.  Now the part that hurts the most is my wallet with all the salt mix I go through.  I can live with that.

I give you credit for sticking with the 50 instead of downsizing right away.  As you get more familiar with what works in the 50, you may eventually find that you like it more, or at least more than you do now.  Once a bigger tank is dialed in they are easier to keep stable which is real nice.  I think that is still the case with sps but its definitely true of softies and LPS.  I will be anxious to see what corals you add to it.

I am thinking about a few upgrades, new sump- would be nice.  I really like my Eshopps but it only holds about 5 gal. of water and not much room for any equipment.  I've been looking at the trigger systems cube sumps and I could barely fit one underneath if I remove my dosing containers and placed them on the outside.  Sumps are so expensive though - but I could gain 15 gal. of water and have a refugium.   

• Like 3

Hang in there, nothing good happens fast. It really looks like you're getting on top of it, the tank looks pretty clean now!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Sk8n Reefer said:

I am thinking about a few upgrades, new sump- would be nice.  I really like my Eshopps but it only holds about 5 gal. of water and not much room for any equipment.  I've been looking at the trigger systems cube sumps and I could barely fit one underneath if I remove my dosing containers and placed them on the outside.  Sumps are so expensive though - but I could gain 15 gal. of water and have a refugium.   

Having a fuge is really nice.  Between my skimmer and my fuge, my nutrients are very manageable even with 4 ponies.  I never use gfo, only carbon.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer
15 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Hang in there, nothing good happens fast. It really looks like you're getting on top of it, the tank looks pretty clean now!

Thanks Teeny, ya I think it's slowly coming around and I am spending more time on it again and seeing some benefits ?

9 hours ago, stellablue said:

Yay Scott!! So glad to see you back!!

Ha! Yes, it's good to be back and active! Keeps me on my tank ?

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

A shot of the clowns- somehow got 'em to come out for a second bedsides feeding time ?

IMG_3819.thumb.JPG.fa62edf9426117255ae292a7bf975803.JPG

Shrooms

IMG_3821.thumb.JPG.baa6f70ec8ccf3381483738e6ab680e6.JPG

IMG_3815.JPG

• Like 8
Sk8n Reefer
21 hours ago, kimberbee said:

those shrooms look HUGE... or the clowns are small... :huh:

Hey there, yes they are large, the clowns are my original Picasso Clowns from the Nuvo 16 so their about 2" now so the shrooms are on the bigger side for sure ?

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

Changed out 30 gal. Last week - spaced out over the week and the tanks looking really good, still see some cyano but doing better. Here's some shots from yesterday.  

Benny our Tailspot hiding out 

IMG_3886.thumb.JPG.4f5a95ff61b3a2922be7a047c14de7fd.JPGClowns showing their mugs ?IMG_3876.thumb.JPG.1942310ce7d13ffa2a98e231c7714e23.JPG

Spongoid 

IMG_3878.thumb.JPG.365665cf9e37538a2fbff94f9db4baeb.JPGMicro star

IMG_3877.thumb.JPG.96f453bc3a98cb3371b733b499f5bbe7.JPG

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...
Sk8n Reefer
11 hours ago, RollaJase said:

Hey buddy, how's things going? Tank is looking good.

Hey there, going better but not prime time that's for sure.  Looks better in Macro ?How are you doing?  Corals( what I have)  and fish are doing well and almost ready to start adding again.  Fighting off the last of some cyano and it should be ready ? I'll head over and check you thread today! 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Sk8n Reefer said:

Hey there, going better but not prime time that's for sure.  Looks better in Macro ?How are you doing?  Corals( what I have)  and fish are doing well and almost ready to start adding again.  Fighting off the last of some cyano and it should be ready ? I'll head over and check you thread today! 

I like shooting in macro, not only do you get more detail but you can block out parts of the tank you don't like lol. I'm doing well thanks mate, work and life is pretty crazy right now, tank has been taking the back seat and it shown in the cleanliness. Cyano has plagued me for ages now, over a year. Replacing my sand with a coarser grain helped, adding a Gyre has done wonders so far also, I've seen reduced cyano already due to the broader flow pattern.

• Like 1