Cultivated Reef

Lighting? How may Actinics to use?

Zac

I will so be setting up a my Nano.

The tank is 24"L x 18"W x 16"H

That is ~30 gal.

I curently have 4 55w compact fluorescent fixtures from AHSUPPLY from a previous setup and was woundering if that would be

enough lighting for that depth?

Also what ratio of actinic lighting should be used.

(50/50 or 25/75?)

Thanks

Zac:)

printerdown01

If they make 50/50 55W PC bulbs go for it! But otherwise load 2 of your sockets with actinics and two with white... Also PC bulbs actually rival metal halide in terms of depth penetrated -it appears that MH goes further because you can see the rippling of waves on the bottom of the tank, but the fact is that MH is a spotlight while PCs spread the light evenly accross the surface. Thus, you will not notice much of a ripple with PC bulbs, unless your REALLY pack the tank with them.

Thank you very much.

I will go with 2 actinic bulbs and 2 white bulbs. For the white bulbs, should I use 2 10,000 bulbs or would 1 10000 and 1 6700 be better.

Also with this ammount of lighting what corals will I be able to keep and will I be able to keep clams?

Secondly, I will have ~ a 5 to 8 gallon fuge. What typ of light should be used on it?

Thanks again,

Zac:)

Your refugium can use a small Jalli 13w that comes sealed and with a 50/50 pc bulb. As for me IMO the lighting is sufficient enough, but maybe not for te clam. (ive never tried clams, so dont listen to me.)

Archived