SaltCritters.com

RockScape - A Progression

ajmckay

I set up my 40br about a year ago (Yeah still don't have an official tank thread) and it's had basically the same scape since then. This is the tank as of about a week ago:

1130152237_zpsrh219jqc.jpg

I've got the itch to re-scape. I like my old scape but I also like trying new things. This scape just didn't have very much real estate for coral grow out. That big table top has been difficult to fit corals to (for me at least).

First I'm replacing the sand from oolitic to CaribSea special grade.

Next I decided to get new rock. I like the Pukani a lot so I figured I should stick with that, however, I ended up with a bunch of reef saver rock. Here I'm comparing the 2:

1224152229c_zpsjucejua8.jpg

I found a 2 month old post on a local forum and on a crap shoot decided to ask if he had any pukani. Turns out he did and was able to sell me some cured. I really like the way the reef saver rock fits together but I also like the more random nature of the pukani - just requires a bit more work to fit together like the reef saver.

Iteration #2:

1224152234_zpsys0upivp.jpg

Iteration #3 - Decided to add a cool piece I've had for a while but never found anything cool to do with it:

1224152332b_zps6syedlvr.jpg

Iteration #4:

1224152345_zpsxjc17mm9.jpg

This is still somewhat a scape in progress - I'll update as further attempts are made.

Some things I tried to keep in mind during this process:

- The type of rock you get really is important - IMO the best looking scapes stick to a single variety, with the exception of branch rock that can be incorporated into other types of rock.

- Over buy. Unless you're cherry picking specific pieces with a scape in mind buy more than you need.

- Don't be afraid to omit. It sucks paying for rock that you don't use, but you can either sell it to someone else, save it for later, or even ask your LFS if you can return a certain % for store credit within a week or so of buying it.

- Rubble is good. I've got a sacrificial rock selected that's going to be smashed up into rubble tomorrow to help fill any unnatural looking cracks and gaps.

- Don't be afraid to alter your rocks. If a piece isn't fitting you can use a chisel, hammer, hack saw, or the driveway to alter the piece to fit better. Alternatively you can use rubble to make things fit.

- Don't have too many odd or stand out pieces. Once went to an LFS and bought all the coolest pieces. They just sat unorganized in my tank and they would have distracted from each other.

- You only need one or 2 main focal points. This sort of follows with the golden rule (or rule of thirds). I find it helps to think of the scape in focal points, like I'm critiquing a photograph.

Will add more to this as I continue but any thoughts, suggestions, or other examples are welcome!

Simulated Fish

or the driveway to alter the piece to fit better.

Ha-ha! Thank you for the laugh!

You've got a good process going, can't wait to see the end result!

Archived