Bowen's IM Fusion 10 - Pt. 2

Bowen1022

reefernanoman

I think my cap may be STN'ing Im not sure

Here is a photo of it on Tuesday morning

IMG_1459_zpsyjnfesdj.jpg

Here is just now (sorry for super blue)

IMG_1471_zpswni453y8.jpg

There appear to be small brown 'strings' on the white part and you can kinda see in the photos the white part has gotten a little larger since Tuesday. I don't know a lot about STN/RTN subject so any input would be appreciated.

Like someone mentioned. Frag it into a few smaller pieces, lower your intensity, or lower the position of that monti. Your tank is looking great BTW.
  • Like 1

To frag a monti, you need exactly zero frag supplies. Just use your fingers to break off pieces. Try for pieces an inch or two long, but even a small frag will grow. The just lay the frags on the sand bed.

Of course, you have to flip them back right side up after every time a snail or crab flips it over, but that's what you get for free. To avoid that problem, glue the frag to a little piece of rubble rock to anchor it in the sand, and blow off any sand that gets on it.

To step up your frag game, all you really need are some cheap frag plugs, glue, and (optional) a pair of wire cutters, or dikes, or bone cutters. You can get a pack of frag plugs for under $10 on Ebay :)

• Like 1

To frag a monti, you need exactly zero frag supplies. Just use your fingers to break off pieces. Try for pieces an inch or two long, but even a small frag will grow. The just lay the frags on the sand bed.

Of course, you have to flip them back right side up after every time a snail or crab flips it over, but that's what you get for free. To avoid that problem, glue the frag to a little piece of rubble rock to anchor it in the sand, and blow off any sand that gets on it.

To step up your frag game, all you really need are some cheap frag plugs, glue, and (optional) a pair of wire cutters, or dikes, or bone cutters. You can get a pack of frag plugs for under $10 on Ebay :)

I do have some frag plugs and some glue so I'll probably do that tonight.

Man I really liked the way it had already been growing haha oh well I guess that's reefing for ya. Thanks for all the support guys!

Like someone mentioned. Frag it into a few smaller pieces, lower your intensity, or lower the position of that monti. Your tank is looking great BTW.

Where should I put it? No more ideas lol. My prime intensity is at 60% so not that high, weird if that is affecting it.

Your rock work is frickin awesome!

Thanks lostsol

I have a similar situation...my monti is up high...under kessil a160we...and it is bleaching (which yours looks like it is too)...I've lowered the light intensity and checked my parameters like crazy...also there seems to be some sort of brown algae growing over the bleached spot...anyone heard of this??

• Like 1

I have a similar situation...my monti is up high...under kessil a160we...and it is bleaching (which yours looks like it is too)...I've lowered the light intensity and checked my parameters like crazy...also there seems to be some sort of brown algebra growing over the bleached spot...anyone heard of this??

Algae will always grow right away on the dead part of bleached SPS. It's one of the ways you can tell it's not going to come back, unfortunately. :(

• Like 1

So I fragged the monti into two good sized pieces. Im kinda upset about it because it was beautiful. Any suggestions as to when I can replace it and where? Here is a quick cell photo of the two pieces. Hoping at least one makes a comeback. Two would be amazing.

IMG_1475_zpsdsf3spq2.jpg

keep them on the bottom for now, then slowly bring them back up to the top.

transitioning from the swap to your tank probably took quite a toll on them. just give them some time and they should both come back.

Woke up this morning to the frag on the right half white and covered in brown slimy strings. The other frag is still all orange besides the break line from last night. Im hoping this one pulls through! fingerscrossed

Last frag is starting to turn white at the base and is peeling. Kinda upset to lose this piece but there isn't much I can do but to pick up a new one.

Last frag is starting to turn white at the base and is peeling. Kinda upset to lose this piece but there isn't much I can do but to pick up a new one.

Dang, sorry to hear that. Are the rest of your SPS doing OK?

Hey all I'm in need of a suggestion/ideas. Currently away from my tank and won't be back until Sunday. When I get back I would like to start planning where I really want all of my corals to be placed permanently. I already. Have been thinking about placing the Zoas on the rock 'island' but am still unsure. Also I have the rock on the left that is pretty bare at the moment with just a birdsnest frag. The rock to the right that my hammer is on is also pretty bare besides the hammer itself. Any and all ideas would be really appreciated! Also may be getting a Tail Spot Blenny sometime next week so I'll finally have something to roam the tank again

Dang, sorry to hear that. Are the rest of your SPS doing OK?

The rest of my SPS are great! Got my Ca Alk and mag levels back up and will probably have to replenish when I get back to school on Sunday. Then daily doses will follow

Well I moved some stuff around nothing is final. Any suggestions? I should be getting a new cap tonight and maybe a tail spot blenny. Here is a quick and dirty new FTS.

Quick%20Shot_zpsonackyye.jpg

IMG_1007_zpszgefeswa.jpg

• Like 2

Ended up getting some more frags again

-Another Orange Monti Cap (Lets try this again)

IMG_1016_zpsanue2wik.jpg

-Green Monti Cap

IMG_1011_zpsqxl9bfdk.jpg

-Unknown Zoa

IMG_1013_zps0cauek8g.jpg

-Also picked up some whammin watermelons with eagle eye mixed in

IMG_1021_zpshavgphaq.jpg

I love taking photos lol

• Like 2
moralesk214

I was just checking in on your thread. Sorry to hear of the monti, I just lost an SPS myself. It's never fun. Everything else is looking great!

• Like 1

Got a new friend today! Tailspot Blenny (He is a shy guy)

IMG_1028_zpstokywtr7.jpg

Also noticed a new polyp starting on my magician zoa

IMG_1029_zpsuulmxl62.jpg

I was just checking in on your thread. Sorry to hear of the monti, I just lost an SPS myself. It's never fun. Everything else is looking great!

I ended up getting a new one! I love the caps lol, sorry to hear about the SPS hopefully everything else is doing well and thank you!

• Like 2

Yesterday I noticed one of my zoas looked like it was turning "inside out" then today I looked and another was doing the same. Does anyone know whats up? Melting?

Here is a photo taken with my phone (the one bottom left and top right)

IMG_1515_zps0bocjcdr.jpg

Also the top right one has what looks like one of the skirt pieces coming out of its mouth

Those look like palys to me and mine do that all the time....usually when they are trapping food...or pissed off about something....if they stay that way for long periods of time I would be concerned but if not don't worry about it

So the Armor of God zoa started looking shriveled up today and then about an hour ago looked pretty bad so I took it out and dipped it in Revive and am going to wait until tomorrow to see how it is doing.

On the brighter side the Ultra Red People Eaters (which are on the same frag plug) has a baby polyp starting and the magician has two more coming as well

So the Armor of God zoa started looking shriveled up today and then about an hour ago looked pretty bad so I took it out and dipped it in Revive and am going to wait until tomorrow to see how it is doing.

On the brighter side the Ultra Red People Eaters (which are on the same frag plug) has a baby polyp starting and the magician has two more coming as well

Revive.....get some bayer much milder than the Revive.....

Zoas are weird and well will go south real quick so dont pull them just because.

• Like 1

Revive.....get some bayer much milder than the Revive.....

Zoas are weird and well will go south real quick so dont pull them just because.

Thanks spectra. Its really only one polyp that looks like death lol. Also I feel odd because all of my stuff closes up at night but ive read polyps usually extend for feeding. Sorry for all the beginner questions I just dont know what is typically normal and what I should actually be worried about.. The weirdest thing is all of my SPS pieces are doing just fine and I dont worry about them at all haha

• Like 1