Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bowen's IM Fusion 10 - Pt. 2

Bowen1022

Looks great! The bleaching on the monticap is weird, almost like something nasty touched it right there. Has it changed any?

I wouldn't worry too much about the calcium test difference, either way your level is high enough, and if it was really super high you'd know it because things would be precipitating. The only way to know for sure is get a third independent test, maybe just take a sample to the LFS and see if it lines up with either of your tests. Did you check the expiration dates on the test kits?

Calcium tests are notorious for giving significantly varying results in any case.

Looks great! The bleaching on the monticap is weird, almost like something nasty touched it right there. Has it changed any?

I wouldn't worry too much about the calcium test difference, either way your level is high enough, and if it was really super high you'd know it because things would be precipitating. The only way to know for sure is get a third independent test, maybe just take a sample to the LFS and see if it lines up with either of your tests. Did you check the expiration dates on the test kits?

Calcium tests are notorious for giving significantly varying results in any case.

One of my Acros did fall on it but it only left a smaller white patch. It hasn't changed any so I'll just keep monitoring it.

Im not sure the Exp on the Red Sea Kit but I know the Salifert is good. I don't really mind the difference as the corals seem to be doing well I was just wondering if anyone experienced this problem. I dont have an LFS where I live now just PetCo (I really dont like that place) I have to order my corals online now which is why I dont get too many new things often lol.

Another thing that kinda sucks is trying to read the Salifert phosphate lol. Im not color blind but that kit makes me question my ability to see certain shades.

Just for personal note and for anyone that cares I have been dosing NoPox for the last month or so and my SPS are really starting to improve in color and growth. Just backed off from 1.2ml to 0.8ml due to test results.

• Like 1

I have the same problem with the Salifert phosphate kit. I use the Hanna ULR phosphorus checker now, and at least if it's off it isn't because I can't tell one shade of blue from another :)

You could always pick up an API test kit for calcium to get a third option. I had a Hanna calcium checker that was way off, and when I checked using both API and Salifert, they were both within 10 ppm of each other, which is really close for calcium.

Might try this out. Ive heard Hanna Checker Calcium is really bad considering how accurate the phosphate and alkalinity tests are. I really want to pick up one for phosphate but with my budget right now I cant spend 50$ on one test kit. I might pick up the API but I guess if both the tests are reading consistent there shouldnt be much to worry about.

BTW I love the new puffer addition to the 10g and of course the new fishies in the 40g are just as nice! That Coral Beauty though :wub:

• Like 1

Thanks! And I agree, probably not worth worrying about the calcium test. I'll bet when you get a refill for one or the other the new kit will be back in line.

I tried to get on the WWC live sale but things were going to fast it wasn't worth it. I did put in for some stuff from ASD and I'm waiting to hear back.

In more good news I got my fiancé hooked on live sales and she is thinking about taking over this tank when I get my new one established.

• Like 1

The ASD live sale is the bomb. They have more than one of each frag so I've never had a problem getting one I wanted. And the prices are great, and the frags look exactly like they do in the pictures. The only problem you'll have is staying away from the next sale, they have them every week or two.

I know lol I look every weekend! Luckily they have a lot of SPS and I told myself no more. So I'm looking for more Zoas and such

• Like 1

Just a small update. Everything is doing ok. I have been having some temp swings in the tank so I have been trying to limit them as much as possible. My hulk tenuis that I got hasnt really been thriving in the tank unfortunately. I guess Ill just have to wait and see if it finally gets tissue narcosis or colors back up and gets some polyp extension. Might post some photos up soon everything still looks the same though!

Is there any way to set up a small fan? I have a little computer case fan blowing across my back chambers and it keeps my tank cool as long as things don't get super hot.

• Like 1

Well the other day I was looking in my tank and saw these weird little things all over by my red monti. They sort of look like dandelion seeds. After some research I came to the conclusion that they are probably hydroids. This morning I took out the rock that had them on it and scrubbed it with a brush and some h2o2. I'm not sure if this is the best way to get rid of them but I couldn't find anything on them so that's what I came up with. I'm hoping they stay at bay as I really don't want yet another problem in this tank. What sucks is that things have been going quite well. I also am going to dip the monti when I get home as well as some Other frags.

If anyone has any advice on this please chime in:)

Just returned from a mini vacation. Did a 20% WC and some testing today

Ca: 425ppm

Alk: 7.7dKH

Mg: 1200ppm

NO3: 5ppm

PO4: 0.125ppm

pH: 8.15

Pretty happy with the results except the high Nitrate and Phosphate but I expected this to happen since I was away and unable to dose NoPox. Also ordered an MP 10 which will go in this tank until I get my lagoon up.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Things are going ok. Most SPS are good but my blue tenuis I has STN'd almost completely also I'm kind of struggling with Zoas. I just notice one melted away on me. It hadn't been open in a really long time so I wasn't too surprised. My red people eater Zoas look like they have a 'burnt' spot on them but it's more of a purple color than black.

• 5 months later...

Well after much deliberation with my fiance we decided that the lagoon is just too big for our tiny apartment at the moment. So she asked if I could downsize back to the fusion and I agreed (at least she still wants a tank). I will have basically the same equipment as the last go around.

Aquascaping photos

FTS

IMG_3581%201_zpslcmeqdhw.jpg

Side Shot

IMG_3579%201_zps0bbuopuc.jpg

IMG_3584_zpsp4bltlsh.jpg

IMG_3585_zpseoj2qlem.jpg

My fiance actually helped me out scaping and I think it is pretty nice. I will be adding some smaller pieces to the top rock to make it not so flat looking but let me know what you think!

Aquascaping still... the top two pieces aren't glued in but as I am still unsure. But everything else is puttied and glued.

IMG_3589_zpsrwnoqf8t.jpg

IMG_3588_zpsghl5yllk.jpg

• Like 1

Just found your feed. Looking good so far. Following!

Thanks!!

Started curing the rocks. I'm going for two weeks total black out then a month in the tank without the light on. Hopefully this will minimize the chance of any algae growth.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Added sand and officially started cycle today. Added a bit too much sand lol. Headed on a weekend vacation and I'll remove it when i get home!

IMG_3620.JPG

• Like 1