Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

pgrVII

Feeding

More feeding...

Made sure he wasnt hiding the food stuffs in his cave as I know Mantis will do that at times. They said he just arrived this week and hadnt eaten yet, but as you can see....😁

• Like 5
1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

wow!! That is so awesome man. Can't wait for more videos 😁

Thanks,lets hope its not a murder scene in the tank when I wake up lol. 😆

I'll definitely get some better ones as he gets more comfortable in the tank.

Just now, Snow_Phoenix said:

Cool mantis! 😊

Thank you!🤙

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, pgrVII said:

Thanks,lets hope its not a murder scene in the tank when I wake up lol. 😆

I'll definitely get some better ones as he gets more comfortable in the tank.

Well fingers crossed lol. Good luck with him, they are so cool. You worry about sticking your hand in the tank for maintenance and getting hit?? 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Well fingers crossed lol. Good luck with him, they are so cool. You worry about sticking your hand in the tank for maintenance and getting hit?? 

No,it's definitely a concern, but,I dont often put my hands in,I usually use tools of some kind to add or move things, just out habit of not putting my hands in unless I have too. But,it is definitely something I had to consider the trade off for absolutely. 

• Like 1

So I've seen alot of opinion on feeding schedules. Ive also read that in nature they will go look for food multiple times daily,so the plan is make sure there is a live food source available at all times,and offer varying prepared options when I feed the tank in the morning. That way everyone stays healthy and happy.

• Like 1

Also bought new feeder sticks for him,my trusty old pair was rusted and nastied up so went with these and bought some blue legged hermits to add to the live board for him. He is still getting used to the tank,will come out immediately for food and if sees the tweezers. These are red tipped,and my others plain. I wonder if I use them for different things will he react to the color difference 🤔 like red for food plain for maintenance or the like. Just an interesting idea since they have fantastic color vision and intelligence. I also got some frozen krill to feed alongside all the other stuffs. And most likely adding a skimmer now for sure😂

20190421_112720.thumb.jpg.45974d2f85316aa51460eeccca7d1b8c.jpg

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
7 hours ago, pgrVII said:

Also bought new feeder sticks for him,my trusty old pair was rusted and nastied up so went with these and bought some blue legged hermits to add to the live board for him. He is still getting used to the tank,will come out immediately for food and if sees the tweezers. These are red tipped,and my others plain. I wonder if I use them for different things will he react to the color difference 🤔 like red for food plain for maintenance or the like. Just an interesting idea since they have fantastic color vision and intelligence. I also got some frozen krill to feed alongside all the other stuffs. And most likely adding a skimmer now for sure😂

That would be cool to find out. Pretty neat you get a chance to try it out 😉

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

That would be cool to find out. Pretty neat you get a chance to try it out 😉

He doesnt seem to be reactive to the plain ones as much,the red he will come out and give a few taps,so far anyway. If there isnt any food he will look up almost to say,"hey man,no foods here."

Soo cool so far.

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
11 hours ago, pgrVII said:

If you can get the tweezers meant for feeding reptiles, they come with a protective rubber tip as it is. I use the Exoterra brand - not sure if it's available in the US, but it's very good for feeding mantises and moving tiny coral frags around without accidently stabbing the polyps. 

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

If you can get the tweezers meant for feeding reptiles, they come with a protective rubber tip as it is. I use the Exoterra brand - not sure if it's available in the US, but it's very good for feeding mantises and moving tiny coral frags around without accidently stabbing the polyps. 

Yea thats what the red tips are on the new ones😉 the place I work carries 2 kinds sometimes 3...🙄😂 

excellent recommendation for sure.

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix
40 minutes ago, pgrVII said:

That small patch on his back - is that just dirt/dust, or is there something wrong with the exoskeleton? (Not trying to scare you, but possible shell rot?)

(I might be seeing things though - with a blue filter, it's hard to see the actual color or any (?) abnormalities that might be present on the exo)

He's cool though. I love how he chases after your tweezers. Mine used to do that too. If I teased him too much, he'd thwack the tweezers until I gave the shrimp meat to him. :lol:

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

That small patch on his back - is that just dirt/dust, or is there something wrong with the exoskeleton? (Not trying to scare you, but possible shell rot?)

(I might be seeing things though - with a blue filter, it's hard to see the actual color or any (?) abnormalities that might be present on the exo)

He's cool though. I love how he chases after your tweezers. Mine used to do that too. If I teased him too much, he'd thwack the tweezers until I gave the shrimp meat to him. :lol:

Just debris,no worries. Thanks!

• Like 1

Did a 5 gallon water change today and put the ol Reef Octopus NS80 back in to help buffer the added bioload.

Here's  a picture of Castle Grayskull this afternoon. 

20190422_142726.thumb.jpg.61524168421f449b3d6d55e36f2c4d3e.jpg

• Like 3

New morning routine for Jables. I feed him last so the others dont come bothering him for food. This morning he gave me a "give uncle scrotor a hug" greeting 😂

My lfs also sells shelled frozen clams so definitely going to add that to his food lineup. 20190423_071030.thumb.jpg.1faf0e73c5f7bceb9235196b55ae853c.jpg

• Like 1